Eye injury in BJJ?

RuDOWN4It

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Do you guys ever worry about an eye injury in BJJ? I've had a couple close calls when the guy I'm rolling with accidentally hits my face with his toe or finger. Thankfully I haven't gotten hit directly in the eye. I imagine if someone hasn't trimmed their nails, it could end pretty badly, kind of like what happened to Winkeljohn.

Has anyone ever experienced similar injuries?

I recently had an injury where a who had been training only a few months tried to take my back and somehow instead of gripping around my neck literally put his hand over my face and managed to lodge his thumb directly into my eye. Probably the worst injury I've had so far. I saw halos for a few days and it pulsed and was sore for about a week afterwards. I got it checked out by an eye doctor but she said it was just irritated. I was afraid of eye infections from a dirty mat or something, so I guess I got lucky.

I recently had an injury where a who had been training only a few months tried to take my back and somehow instead of gripping around my neck literally put his hand over my face and managed to lodge his thumb directly into my eye. Probably the worst injury I've had so far. I saw halos for a few days and it pulsed and was sore for about a week afterwards. I got it checked out by an eye doctor but she said it was just irritated. I was afraid of eye infections from a dirty mat or something, so I guess I got lucky.

Yikes that sounds like it could have ended a lot worse. Glad you are okay.

I've only got the one eye, so it's my biggest worry. I make a point to keep my eyes closed when anyone has their hands around my face, fumbling for a choke. I don't turtle, since that's an invitation for someone to go jamming their feet around my face.

Edit; Jesus f8ck, just looked up Winkeljohn... Cements my decision to stay away from striking sports...

Last edited:
I've never been hit in the eye, but several times I've had a lot of pressure to the eye where I was seeing stars, usually from someone's body weight. I always tap immediately when that happens. People need to be more careful about their partner's eyes for sure

The only "eye injury" I've had was a fractured orbit. Happened a long time ago when a guy spazzed and kicked me in the face while I was trying to pass his guard. It was pretty significant but rare IMO.

God Damn spazzes.

The only "eye injury" I've had was a fractured orbit. Happened a long time ago when a guy spazzed and kicked me in the face while I was trying to pass his guard. It was pretty significant but rare IMO.

God damn spazzes. Did anyone make him suffer? God Damn white belts, especially really strong ones that just power the shit out of everything can be dangerous.

God Damn spazzes.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed. He heard me holler so he rolled off me and after he did he actually said, "aww man I felt it go inside the socket!"

I mean, funny now but at the time I definitely wasn't laughing.

I had a guys sweat drip directly onto my eyeball once. Not an injury, technically, but it was pretty fucking horrifying

I had a similar incident but I think my injury was a little worse. It was a spaz who jammed his thumb knuckle deep into my eye.

At the ER, they put in numbing drops and dye. The doctor and nurse both went , "Ohhhhhhhh". I scratched my cornea from top to bottom.

It felt like I had sand in my eye for months. I had to use drops for nearly a year. First thing in the morning, I couldn't open my eye without rubbing it first.

Eventually, it healed up enough that I barely notice it now. Sometimes it still gets irritated a bit, but nothing like it once was.

I told a guy about it and he told me something I'll never forget, "In training, the master swordsman fears the novice."

A side benefit was that all the "I'll just gouge you in the eye or groin shot you" talk discrediting bjj was put to the test.

At least in that instance, a heavy eye poke wouldn't have saved that guy, because I kicked it into overdrive and tapped him before stopping.

I've never experienced anything significant in training, but once, I got burning lamp oil in my eye during some kind of pyrotechnics show. It recovered completely, but I quickly get a little weary when people start getting to grabby on my face.

I got a black eye from a thai cup during the first year I trained. Not reall anything threatening, but a little weird. Same with a gi burn on my eyelid. That grew really slowly.

Back