Extended break from BJJ. Good or bad?

django

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a purple belt from Florida and will be moving to NYC next year for college. I've been checking out the prices and BJJ seems to be an ungodly expense in NYC.

I had been thinking about taking a break from BJJ because it doesn't have the same appeal to me anymore, and because I'm finding that I am more interested in getting proficient at the stand-up/takedown parts of grappling. Sambo and Judo in NYC, although expensive, are still within reason and something I am more interested in than BJJ. I'm just worried that all the work I put in to getting good at groundwork will go to waste if I start focusing on Judo/Sambo. Anybody else been through this kind of problem? Any advice is appreciated.

Give up BJJ and try a real martial art, if you are moving to NYC my suggestion is Ying Jow Pai!

I am a purple belt from Florida and will be moving to NYC next year for college. I've been checking out the prices and BJJ seems to be an ungodly expense in NYC.

I had been thinking about taking a break from BJJ because it doesn't have the same appeal to me anymore, and because I'm finding that I am more interested in getting proficient at the stand-up/takedown parts of grappling. Sambo and Judo in NYC, although expensive, are still within reason and something I am more interested in than BJJ. I'm just worried that all the work I put in to getting good at groundwork will go to waste if I start focusing on Judo/Sambo. Anybody else been through this kind of problem? Any advice is appreciated.

Try it at Sambo Steve's. You can find BJJ anywhere these days.

Just look around and try different places until you find what you need, you cant possibly go backwards by learning judo and sambo, you are more likely to keep going forward instead.

As Rod1 mentioned, it's not like you can get worse at BJJ by doing either judo or sambo. AFAIK, virtually all of the techniques you learned in BJJ you can use in newaza practice. You may not find worthwhile partners, but at least you can continue practicing things.

Back