explosive vs. brute (?)

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by cnra, Oct 23, 2005.

1. cnra

cnra White Belt

so, is strength split into 2 categories? explosive strength and brute strength?

for explosive im thinking someone like a boxer who will need both flash lightning punches as well as power behind the punch
    and i'm thinking for brute strength you'd have someone like bob sapp just going up to someone and throwing them through a wall

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

what about strength endurance? or speed? Saying there are only two types of strength is as incorrect as saying that they're unrelated. Peak strength (what I'm sure you meant to say when you wrote brute) has a very positive carryover to explosive strength up to a point most people reading this will never reach. Does that make it the best way to train for explosiveness? No. But up to a certain point training for peak strength will yeild equal gains in explosiveness, whereas I don't beleive the opposite is true. Moral? IMHO if you need to ask this question you probably would be best suited working on peak strength for around a year.

3. rickdog

rickdog Purple Belt

I introduce a proclomation that the term brute strength shall replace the the much weaker term peak. Anyway, I almost reached my brute strength in curls yesterday.

4. Janeiro

Janeiro Orange Belt

what do you mean by brute strength

5. thecreator

thecreator Blue Belt

Brute strength means that no thinking is involved

6. cnra

cnra White Belt

:) maybe brute was a stupid word

7. boooya777

boooya777 Guest

sounds like joe rogans retard strength.

8. the problem in the original post is "vs."

if mma teaches anything, it teaches you that you need to add it all, add more, dont separate. you need explosive strength to snatch a hold or break a posture when someone is using their strenth to maintain or to frame up, but you also need to have a good base of strength yourself.

if not, you're going to get constricted like a python is on you in a grappling match. some guys dont get taken by you being explosive and they ride smoothe and loose and still suck in every inch your explosions give until you're in a bad spot.

9. krellik

krellik Gimli son of Cisco

Im training to be brutaly strong. Is that the same?;)

10. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

Brute strength means relying on strength alone and notechnique is applied or technique is sloppy

11. Jay M.

Jay M. Yellow Belt

In the OT until I get my orange belt and then I'll
    Bob Sapp for example.