explosive power?

Yea if you have to cut weight to the point where you are starving yourself and cutting more than 15 pounds, it's obviously going to be pretty brutal.

Basically depleting your glycogen source in your muscle too.

ok so lifting is going to make me up in weight, i accept that im gona start lifting. my next question is that if im gona be uping in weight is there any tips on weight cutting so i dont have to change weight divisions mid season?

Sonny said:
Amazingly, I handled this guy easily in the clinch and wasn't totally outmuscled in the corners either. I felt much better than those days where I was down to 147 etc. I credit heavy weightlifting and not starving myself for that one. I finally realized that a person can be big, strong, eat more and still be conditioned.

Yadda yadda yadda, just my 2 cents here. Take it for what it's worth.

Sonny makes an important point here that many could take to heart. While I still believe training is an art, not a science, a lot of progress has been made in the more concrete areas of training, especially dietary info, which makes it easier to be large and still in shape.

His point also extends to lifting itself, not just body composition. I was talking to Urban the other day, and he was talking about putting powercleans in his routine INSTEAD of something, I suggested how about IN ADDITTION.

The old saying "if you chase two rabbits, both will get away" is true, but there is definately a good sized gray area that provides room for compromise, and flat out MORE. More work, more strength, more size, more gas etc.

The human body is amazingly adaptable, and I think that the hardgainer mentality has made it's way even into mainstream lifting circles. I think many people would be absolutely shocked by what their bodies can handle as long as they ease into it, or are willing to suffer for a while.

For example: At one point I lifted six days a week, spent 3-4 hours a week on my bags (nto much compared to you guys I know, but a lot of cardio for me), did sandbag training 3 days a week and went for 1-2 mile jogs 2-3 times a week. Compare that to now, I lift weights 3-4 times a week total.

That's a big range for one person, let alone a huge sample of individuals.

Thats and extremely good point you make there Carnal. Even though I think that we all agree on that more isnt always better.
If your not pushing yourself to the limit in periods your not pushing hard enough.

Back