explosive power?

Richard Emling said:
first i respect your knoldege in the area of s&p but you are constinley telling people who are light to get a sandwich i fight at 125 pounds and dominate i would not be as good at a higher weight as is the case with maney people why shoud we try to put on weight and be less sucsesfull

ive determined that 5'0" or shorter is the correct height for someone weighing 125 pounds.

Richard Emling said:
first i respect your knoldege in the area of s&p but you are constinley telling people who are light to get a sandwich i fight at 125 pounds and dominate i would not be as good at a higher weight as is the case with maney people why shoud we try to put on weight and be less sucsesfull
somebody who's 5'8" and 125 has got strength and power capabilities WAY beyond that of their current (and limiting) weight. While it might be a mistake to tell him to change weight classes mid-season, encouraging him to stay so light is a mistake I think. I mean really, a BMI of 19 for an athlete of any kind is really low IMO, and he'd gain better lb for lb strength (a higher wilks) if he moved up a weight class or two. if you can increase your skill and increase your lb for lb strength and power, as you increse your weight and I see nothing wrong with eating a sandwich.

Somebody smarter than me who fights should chime in any time they feel inclined to do so... entropy where are you?

Both camps here obvioulsy have points. Cameron since your dominating your weightclass you shouldnt do something drastic now inseason, just keep kickin ass.

But in a slightly longer perspective... A slight increase of lean bodymass caused by heavylifting arent going to hurt you. Of course its true that the nervous system is hugely important for strength, but personaly I think that as a young athlete you should allow you to gain some muscle to better handle heavier weights in the future. Its not as they will become the incredible hulk in one higher weighclass, as long as you keep being strong for your weight you should be doing good.

Richard Emling said:

I think the mistake a lot of people make who think this at extremely light weight classes is that they are making this assumption on their current self competing at that weight class. After putting the weight on properly though you'd be correspondingly stronger and hence able to hang in the higher weight class.

Granted there can be lots of factors to consider here. If you're dominating your current weight class because there are very few entrants or it is generally not a competitive class that could be a factor. Also if the height/reach discrepancy can become an issue when changing weight classes in some sports.

But if you are winning based on skill currently, being heavier and stronger and competing against people who only have the additional measure of strength that you yourself have gained as well by putting on muscle should put you back on an equal footing. Then you would continue to dominate your current class based on your same skill level being greater than that of your opponents.

Although I'm not an experienced wrestler, I fought TaeKwonDo nationally (Olympic Style not point sparring) at weights from 127 pounds through 200 plus pounds and can somewhat speak from experience as to gaining muscle weight and competing in higher weight classes.

I'd also like to point out that a lot of wrestlers have a tendency to have a narrow focus on 'this season', etc. It's hard to think past high school when you're trying so hard to win your season, but at the same time, a longer vision of your lifting goals tends to leave people happier down the road. I see a LOT of wrestlers who have stunted their growth trying to maintain a weight class in high school.

KOU In3 said:
I think the mistake a lot of people make who think this at extremely light weight classes is that they are making this assumption on their current self competing at that weight class. After putting the weight on properly though you'd be correspondingly stronger and hence able to hang in the higher weight class.

Granted there can be lots of factors to consider here. If you're dominating your current weight class because there are very few entrants or it is generally not a competitive class that could be a factor. Also if the height/reach discrepancy can become an issue when changing weight classes in some sports.

But if you are winning based on skill currently, being heavier and stronger and competing against people who only have the additional measure of strength that you yourself have gained as well by putting on muscle should put you back on an equal footing. Then you would continue to dominate your current class based on your same skill level being greater than that of your opponents.

Although I'm not an experienced wrestler, I fought TaeKwonDo nationally (Olympic Style not point sparring) at weights from 127 pounds through 200 plus pounds and can somewhat speak from experience as to gaining muscle weight and competing in higher weight classes.

I'd also like to point out that a lot of wrestlers have a tendency to have a narrow focus on 'this season', etc. It's hard to think past high school when you're trying so hard to win your season, but at the same time, a longer vision of your lifting goals tends to leave people happier down the road. I see a LOT of wrestlers who have stunted their growth trying to maintain a weight class in high school.
reach is a huge issuse im 5foot5 and tkd is not mma ther is a huge diffrince i dont dominate becuse its not competitive i do becuse i train hard and fight harder ther are if what you guys say is so right then i guess matt huges shoud fight at 200 and rich franklin at 230 becuse the extra weight can only make them better

Richard Emling said:
reach is a huge issuse im 5foot5 and tkd is not mma ther is a huge diffrince i dont dominate becuse its not competitive i do becuse i train hard and fight harder ther are if what you guys say is so right then i guess matt huges shoud fight at 200 and rich franklin at 230 becuse the extra weight can only make them better

If it works for you man great...;) But actually I think Matt Hughes is a good example for someone who obviously have packed on a lot of meat for his size and he is dominating at his weight.

Richard Emling said:

First, I didn't say that TKD was the same as MMA. I referenced it because it backs up my point of maintaining competitiveness in a combat sport at a higher weight class. If anything, reach is a bigger issue in TKD. At 5'10" 140 I used to fight guys who were 6'1". In a sport that focuses on kicking and headshots the reach difference is equally important. Yet adding muscle mass still allowed someone at my height to remain competitive at a higher weight class.

The point is that adding muscle mass and hence strength should allow you to remain competive at a higher weight class.

As to the Matt Hughes analogy. He is alternately reported at 5'8" or 5'9" and although he competes at 170, he walks around at 190 or so. The original poster is 5'8" and 125 pounds. I'd say your analogy could work against you more than for you really. If we take Hughes as being the optimal weight to be competiive at a height of 5'8", then the threadstarter is about 60 pounds shy of where he should be.

Richard Emling said:

thanks very much man because when i wrestle im too strong for the guys my weight. but i do want to up in weight but after this season.

Richard Emling said:
Listen Rich, if you don't give me your lunch money i'm going to stuff you in a locker...

Cameron said:
thanks very much man because when i wrestle im too strong for the guys my weight. but i do want to up in weight but after this season.
your not to strong for them ther to weak for you

PariahCarey said:
Listen Rich, if you don't give me your lunch money i'm going to stuff you in a locker...
if you want to set up a fight i know a few promoters

Richard Emling said:

OR MAYBE HE JUST WANTS TO SPREAD THE LOVE AND JOY THAT IS THE MODERN SANDWHICH MMMKAY? jeeze dont get ur panties all in a bunch and sand all in ur vagina like a beached female dolphin.

HAHAHAAHAH. Unearth, that was awesome. If you name is because of the band, I like you even more.

Anyhow, I've said it before, but it looks like I'm gonn have to say it again mang.

For most athletes, their level of limit strength is low compared to where it could, and even should be. By increasing this limit or "brute" strength, you will also see increases in other athletic attributes like speed, explosiveness, power output etc. I feel that since training for limit strength is simpler, and provides the most elements of athleticism for a novice to intermediate lifter/athlete that it's much more productive that all sorts of oly lifting, and complex plyometric training. Lift heavy, and you will run faster and jump higher. No shit.

There is a point where an athlete needs to get faster/more powerful as opposed to stronger. And this is one of the few times I agree with Louie Simmons, dymanic versions of the big three (and also the overhead press IMO) are more appropriate to developing max power output. You can squat more weight than you can clean by quit a good bit (if you have any leg strength), so even if the speed is at all comparably you're putting out more power, as I understand it.

I advocate simple limit strength/hypertrophy plans for 95% of the people on this board.

Richard Emling said:
No thanks. I live in NYC. Hobbit fighting is not very popular here.

Richard Emling said:

Richard... Your tag says professional fighter so I went to look you up in fight finder. No results for lastname Emling. Is this your nom de plums, or is fight finder lacking again? I was just interested to see what your fight record looked like, thanks!

Can we get back on the subject please.

Here, I'll be the break in the fuss.

I'm trying to develop explosive power also.
I believe I'm doing everything right, I'm not what you would call a novice but I like more ideas and critique from equally knowledgeable individuals, like some that have previously posted, Urban for one.

So lets get back on subject and help me out.

Maybe lift heavy but don't change your caloric intake? I heard that builds strength without size.
Prolly not though, I usually don't know what I am talking about.

Urban said:
Somebody smarter than me who fights should chime in any time they feel inclined to do so... entropy where are you?

Well, I'm not exactly smarter than you when it comes to S&P but I here's my 2 cents. When I was fighting a few years ago my coach had me drop down to as low as 147 lbs. where I was walking around at 170-175. First he had me "cut" to around 160 lbs. which was manageable but I went to bed plenty of nights starving for food. Then I "dried out" to make 147. I was walking death and the drop in weight basically sapped my reserves to the point where the "strength advantage" WE BOTH thought I was gonna have was minimal. IMO, the trade off wasn't worth it but I continued to do this until I had enough and started eating more.

Fast forward a few months where I was desperate for cash and decided to fight a shitty, toughman/smoker fight. Walking around at 205-210 I trained for a few weeks and upped my conditioning work but still ate 'normally' and lifted weights. I can't remember exactly but I stepped into the ring at about 195 or so and my opponent was around 225 but looked more like a true heavyweight. My friend's brother who trained Muay Thai with this guy said he never lifted weights and that he usually walked around in the neighbourhood of 230-240. So I was under the impression that he was the bigger man and just naturally stronger than me.

Amazingly, I handled this guy easily in the clinch and wasn't totally outmuscled in the corners either. I felt much better than those days where I was down to 147 etc. I credit heavy weightlifting and not starving myself for that one. I finally realized that a person can be big, strong, eat more and still be conditioned.

Yadda yadda yadda, just my 2 cents here. Take it for what it's worth.

Back