Social Explicit, unvarnished racism by Georgia mayor and councilman

woodguyatl

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
In the context of discussions of racism I have mentioned a number of times that I regularly encounter explicit, unvarnished racism by business and occasionally by politicians while doing business around Georgia.. Here is a clear example of what I am talking about. The fact remains that racism is both common in rural Georgia and has real effects on the ability of blacks to get jobs (as City Administrator in this case.)

"According to interviews and documents reviewed by the AJC, Kenerly told council members she withheld the resume of a candidate because “because he is black, and the city isn’t ready for this.”"

Please note that she said this in a government meeting and, worse, believes that people who elected her are not ready for a black City Administrator. What does that say about attitudes in her city as a whole?

While defending Mayor Kenerly, Councilman Cleveland said in comments to the AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution) he does not support interracial marriage and that seeing blacks and whites together on television “makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live.” This guy was well respected enough in his community to get elected.

So, my questions are:

1 - Is anybody actually surprised that this happens in Georgia and that the elected officials are comfortable making these statements?

2 - To which Christian principal is Cleveland referring when he says “makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live.” To be clear, I am not saying all Christians believe this but asking what Bible verses or Christian teaching is he likely basing his belief upon?

Link to article for reference:
https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-n...court-declines-appeal/sPRHNLNaGSLu0zlqBAuvPK/

EDIT: Councilman’s full quote.
“I’m a Christian and my Christian beliefs are you don’t do interracial marriage. That’s the way I was brought up and that’s the way I believe,” he said. “I have black friends, I hired black people. But when it comes to all this stuff you see on TV, when you see blacks and whites together, it makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live.”

Last edited:
Ahh, man, that's rookie varnish. You gotta get that racism varnish up, Georgia guy.

Ahh, man, that's rookie varnish. You gotta get that racism varnish up, Georgia guy.

For sure, but his is the public statements in official meetings and to newspapers. I regularly driver by a store where I can buy lynching post cards to send as souvenirs.

Breaking: The South is still racist in some parts.

More at 11

Seems crazy to this Canuck and as a reminder how different our two countries can be. Now don't get me wrong as we have our own racists up here, but they've definitely gone underground.

In the context of discussions of racism I have mentioned a number of times that I regularly encounter explicit, unvarnished racism by business and occasionally by politicians while doing business aroung Georgia.. Here is a clear example of what I am talking about. The fact remains that racism is both common in rural Georgia and has real effects on the ability of blacks to get jobs (as City Administrator in this case.)

"According to interviews and documents reviewed by the AJC, Kenerly told council members she withheld the resume of a candidate because “because he is black, and the city isn’t ready for this.”"

Please note that she said this in a government meeting and, worse, believes that people who elected her are not ready for a black City Administrator. What does that say about attitudes in her city as a whole?

While defending Mayor Kenerly, Councilman Cleveland said in comments to the AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution) he does not support interracial marriage and that seeing blacks and whites together on television “makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live.” This guy was well respected enough in his community to get elected.

So, my questions are:

1 - Is anybody actually surprised that this happens in Georgia and that the elected officials are comfortable making these statements?

2 - To which Christian principal is Cleveland referring when he says “makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live.” To be clear, I am not saying all Christians believe this but asking what Bible verses or Christian teaching is he likely basing his belief upon?

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-n...court-declines-appeal/sPRHNLNaGSLu0zlqBAuvPK/
Not so surprised by what the mayor did but I am a bit surprised a Councilman in 2019 would say something so openly racist in a public statement.

That aside it's strange to me that people apply to city administrator positions in random small towns they don't live in. City administration is basically the town's CEO, they oversee all decisions. The black applicant was from Texas, city is in Georgia. There were two local applicants, I would definitely pick those because they have stake in what happens to the town, as opposed to someone shopping small towns as stepping stones to buttress their CV after their public administration bachelor's.

That aside it's strange to me that people apply to city administrator positions in random small towns they don't live in. City administration is basically the town's CEO, they oversee all decisions. The black applicant was from Texas, city is in Georgia. There were two local applicants, I would definitely pick those because they have stake in what happens to the town, as opposed to someone shopping small towns as stepping stones to buttress their CV after their public administration bachelor's.

it is pretty common for City Administrator type jobs to go to people who don’t live in the city. I’m not sure how common it is for those people to come from an entirely different state. I’d guess it is not typical. Interesting how she used race as an issue rather than the local ties.

In the context of discussions of racism I have mentioned a number of times that I regularly encounter explicit, unvarnished racism by business and occasionally by politicians while doing business aroung Georgia.. Here is a clear example of what I am talking about. The fact remains that racism is both common in rural Georgia and has real effects on the ability of blacks to get jobs (as City Administrator in this case.)

So, my questions are:

There aren’t any parts of the Bible that say that. If anyone ever says there are ask them to show you.

Not so surprised by what the mayor did but I am a bit surprised a Councilman in 2019 would say something so openly racist in a public statement.
I am surprised as well. I hear this sort of thing regularly without the often obligatory looking around before talking but he clearly felt comfortable speaking his Truth and defending his Christian views.

There aren’t any parts of the Bible that say that. If anyone ever says there are ask them to show you.

I understand that. I am just curious if there is a passage or belief that is often twisted to support his opinion.

AAA8093BD24BB0EF4564495B2282281913CE19EC

His comment was disturbing to say the least. Holy fucking shit!

Christianity is the religious arm of white supremacy.
I suppose a bunch of southern rednecks are the face of Christianity

Better tell those Catholics to get the fuck out of Africa and Asia, and the Protestants to leave Latin America, they’re not helping.

I understand that. I am just curious if there is a passage or belief that is often twisted to support his opinion.
I am by no means a Christian scholar but I would guess it has something to do with the ark, and every creation having their own equal to mate. I can see that being twisted by some racist scum to justify that kind of mentality.

From Genesis, chapter 7

1And the Lord said to Noah, "Come into the ark, you and all your household, for it is you that I have seen as a righteous man before Me in this generation.
7And Noah went in and his sons and his wife and his sons' wives with him into the ark because of the flood waters.
9Two by two they came to Noah to the ark, male and female, as God had commanded Noah.
16And those who came male and female of all flesh came, as God had commanded him, and the Lord shut him in.

I am by no means a Christian scholar but I would guess it has something to do with the ark, and every creation having their own equal to mate. I can see that being twisted by some racist scum to justify that kind of mentality.

From Genesis, chapter 7

1And the Lord said to Noah, "Come into the ark, you and all your household, for it is you that I have seen as a righteous man before Me in this generation.
7And Noah went in and his sons and his wife and his sons' wives with him into the ark because of the flood waters.
9Two by two they came to Noah to the ark, male and female, as God had commanded Noah.
16And those who came male and female of all flesh came, as God had commanded him, and the Lord shut him in.

What do they think Noah looked like? Colonel Sanders?

In the context of discussions of racism I have mentioned a number of times that I regularly encounter explicit, unvarnished racism by business and occasionally by politicians while doing business around Georgia.. Here is a clear example of what I am talking about. The fact remains that racism is both common in rural Georgia and has real effects on the ability of blacks to get jobs (as City Administrator in this case.)

So, my questions are:

EDIT: Councilman’s full quote.
“I’m a Christian and my Christian beliefs are you don’t do interracial marriage. That’s the way I was brought up and that’s the way I believe,” he said. “I have black friends, I hired black people. But when it comes to all this stuff you see on TV, when you see blacks and whites together, it makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live.”
There are a number of verses that can and have been used to oppose interracial marriage. I’m lazy and on my
Phone but you can google them. You could also take a Moreno philosophical approach and say that a very basic level Christianity respects and aims to maintain order in a fallen world. Interracial marriage often leads to conflict, both internally and externally. Not to mention the toll it puts on the child. Just ask any mixed race kid. It’s not easy.

Back