Explain to me why CM Punk matters

Been watching WWE from 2008 - Early 2013 and i can tell you, Cm Punk is 1 of the most controversial superstars ever, and he has a huge fanbase

Where are the "so many people interested in seeing him compete"? Seems like the vast majority of people think he doesn't have the talent and will probably not do very well.

Because it's a freakshow and people want to see what happens. Because it creates controversy and gets peoples attention. Did the UFC make a good decision? Did they screw up? Will he be killed in the cage or will he win? Is he gonna fight a total can or a real guy and how will that play out?

Personally I'm not wild about them signing him. I understand why they did, and I actually like Punk a lot, as both a pro wrestler and a person. But this just seems like a bridge too far into entertainment, and I'm very concerned for Punks health. At the age of 37 and with a history of concussions and other injuries it seems like a scary mistake to have him fight for real at this point.

I think the question is why was he so popular in WWE and how did he become a star considering he is a rather average looking dude.

A combination of being a great in ring worker and one of the best talkers in the history of the company.

I just youtubed his pipebomb stuff as someone earlier mentioned doing, and he seems like a really good performer. Edgy, anti-establishment against the same establishment that pays his bills lol. The entitled generations wrestling hero it would seem. But what do I know, I'm 40

War DC

He will move the needle.

Punk gave intelligent, adult promos that could make you think.

Rock gave promos to make kids and simpletons cheer.

In terms of delivery and charisma Rock is the better. Content-wise, Punk wins every day of the week.

Still, neither of them touches the promo GOAT Paul E. Heyman

CM Punk matters because he's going to sell more PPV's for the UFC than anybody has in years, while never having fought professionally before.

He matters because he has more Twitter followers than any UFC fighter.

In terms of delivery and charisma Rock is the better. Content-wise, Punk wins every day of the week.

When Rock was cutting promos against CM Punk, Punk made him look so cheesy and outdated.

Punk is a Heyman protege and learned a lot about the business from Heyman. Punk can actually live-produce a wrestling show, from the opening to the end, because of Heyman's guidance when Punk was in OVW/ECW.

[YT]rdRo9JsfBZM[/YT]
This is why he matters. He's loud enough to use an invisible microphone.

I was a big WWE fan back in the 97-2002 period and then really fell off. But I still like to follow certain things and will watch the big shows like Rumble and Wrestlemania with some friends for the nostlagia element. I can say that Punk was easily one of the most entertaining people of the past five years. He's an extremely compelling speaker and a great worker.

Good call on Heyman. I caught the raw a couple of years back after Brock had returned to the WWE where Heyman came back. Honestly, one of my favorite Heyman promos ever. He's done better quality ones but something about the return, re-aligning him with Lesnar, and just the way he sells his point- just awesome.

Look up Punks promo when he came out dressed like Jeff Hardy.

When Rock was cutting promos against CM Punk, Punk made him look so cheesy and outdated.

Punk is a Heyman protege and learned a lot about the business from Heyman. Punk can actually live-produce a wrestling show, from the opening to the end, because of Heyman's guidance when Punk was in OVW/ECW.

The Rock's bravado, confidence, and humor were all great back in his day. He could command the crowd and manipulate their reactions in a way that not a lot of performers could. It was something to watch back in the Attitude era when Rock went from an absolutely hugely over face after breaking from the Nation to being a hated heel when he and the Mcmahons aligned to then just being hugely over as a face while still being a heel in actions and character.

the fans just loved him because of the cockiness and humor. I still think the promo between him, Mankind and Jericho- where Foley tried to get Rock to commit to their tag team and Jericho mocked them, only for Rock to fire right back(only a couple of months into Jericho's WWE tenure- in fall 1999) was one of the funniest things I've seen in wrestling.

I distinctly remember a moment where The Rock was like to Jericho "You think you impress The Rock, you think you impress The Rock? Why? Cause a few months ago you were down in Atlanta beating some jabroni named Juventud?"

Just the way he delivered that was funny as shit.

But there's different types of mic skills. Rock's humor more mass appeal type stuff vs. The Punk more serious shoot style promo ing vs. more Meat and Potatoes but quality type stuff. The last would be someone like Bret Hart. Damn solid and underrated on the mic in my opinion. Nothing flashy but spoke in an effective and compelling manner, particularly toward the end of his run.

Hell, even Punk would cut vastly different types of promos based on what type of character he was within the company. I remember when he was that Straight Edge Cult Dude and was sort of creepy.

As for what he brings to the table in UFC- I think his speaking skills overall are superlative. Very well spoken guy. I believe he should be utilized as an analyst to be honest. That's his comparative advantage. Have him cop a big buyrate and hopefully garner a win against some low level guy and then transition him to a broadcasting role.

Back