Explain to me Why Citizen Kane isn't the Greatest Movie of All Time

Drunken Meat Fist

Veni Veni Veni
Senior Administrator
Reaction score
It's not my favorite, but my favorites have to bow down in the pure, non-sloppy, sense. What was done in that movie made movies movies. How do you put Casablance or Gone with the Wind in the same sentence. There are perfect movies, but there aren't movies that flat-out, there was before and after this movie. What took Hitchcock a lifetime, Welles was doing chewing bubble gum, terrorizing the c untry and fucking Rita Heyworth. It''s not a cocky statement, I was just wondering on what grounds the choice of someone's second best matches up outside of emotional personal subjectivity

Isn't the entire premise flawed from the beginning as no one was there to hear him say "rosebud" when he died?

Hard to come to a reasonable conclusion. I'm in love with Clark Gable but do not consider GWTW the greatest film of all time. I agree that Citizen Cane is a logical conclusion when pondering best film ever made.

<LatsRickStory>
It's not my favorite, but my favorites have to bow down in the pure, non-sloppy, sense. What was done in that movie made movies movies. How do you put Casablance or Gone with the Wind in the same sentence. There are perfect movies, but there aren't movies that flat-out, there was before and after this movie. What took Hitchcock a lifetime, Welles was doing chewing bubble gum, terrorizing the c untry and fucking Rita Heyworth. It''s not a cocky statement, I was just wondering on what grounds the choice of someone's second best matches up outside of emotional personal subjectivity

Going by that logic why not Metropolis? Wells was a thief, and a good one, and I can respect that. Also, if the Avengers came first I doubt we would be having this conversation. And if M Night Shamalong was born in the 16th century, would we have Shakespeare, or 6th sense in the park? I think we know the answer. All things being equal, I think we can objectively assume the worst. Cid Kane would still be worth remarking upon, but in selective circles.<LatsRickStory><{1-1}>

Last edited:
Going by that logic why not Metropolis? Wells was a thief, and a good one, and I can respect that. Also, if the Avengers came first I doubt we would be having this conversation. And if M Night Shamalong was born in the 16th century, would we have Shakespeare, or 6th sense in the park? I think we know the answer. All things being equal, I think we can objectively assume the worst. Cid Kane would still be worth remarking upon, but in selective circles.
While not my favorite of the silent era there is no denying Metropolis was an amazing film far ahead of it's time.
d5885ae86b0ef0259ec9bca0bfa51ea4.gif

It's in black and white.

I've never watched it so I guess I'm kinda of useless here. Carry on.

It sucks. It is outdated, and the only reason why you think it is great is bc some list told you it was.

There is nothing more hipster/trendy/film snob then mentioning citizen LAME

Last edited:
It sucks. It is outdated, and the only reason why you think it is great is become It has become some list told you it was.

There is nothing more hipster/trendy/film snob then mentioning citizen LAME

Agreed. It was revolutionary as far as camera angles and shit at the time, but otherwise isn’t all that exceptional.

Citizen Kane is good but it's no Warcraft the Movie.

Back