Explain "peaking" to me from a scientific perspective

Mongoosemk12

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I hear this term mentioned all the time, can someone explain when/how UFC fighters "peak"? What is the timeline and why does it occur at specific times? The reason I ask is that people make a big deal about MMA fighters fighting more than 4 times a year, yet muay thai fighters fight every two weeks. What is the difference and why do S&C coaches make such a big deal about it? Is there some kind of measurable physiological metrics that show athletes "peaking"? How is this measured?

Edit: I'm referring to a peak for an upcoming fight not a career peak.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

That is a good question. On the surface it seems simple, the peak would be when they are most physically prepared, and I guess the implication is that the training needed to maintain this state takes too much effort/work/nutrition/attention/toll/whatever to do all the time, so they ramp up to it before a fight.

The TRUTH is it's a concept everyone stole from BODYBUILDING and it's fucking RETARDED.

Your first mistake was coming to Sherdog and asking for scientific explanations of anything.
Scientifically I'm what they call developmentally disabled.

Those big hot dog boys obviously can't have 0 body fat and purple plastic for skin all year round, so they "peak" before they go out in their undies and flex with their buddies. Physical performance doesn't work like appearance.

Whenever I masturbate it typically takes me 45 min - 1 hour to peak. Most of my friends say this isn't normal, but I enjoy this because the orgasms are a lot stronger.

Physical training makes you stronger in the long term, but weaker and exhausted in the short term.

Every fighter incorporates this philosophy into their training to some extent. No fighter does a high intensity circuit the minute before the fight. Although many do it in general.

Some fighters and coaches just take it one step further and optimize the amount of rest. Stopping each training type at the right time for the best results.

This peaking approach however can cause a lot more training injuries because of the yoyo effect these programs have on the body. Having an athlete go from in to out of shape is not ideal for overall health. Athletes who don’t peak and train at less intensity but year round are less likely to be injured.

Last edited:
You mean career wise or in a specific moment of the year like peak performance?

Career wise everybody has their “prime years” (between 25 to 35)

That’s when you’re at your best physically.

Now being high level athlete will take its toll. So someone who was high level athlete from early 20s will probably no longer be at his peak at 35.

Same goes for someone who started their career late or doesn’t have much wear n tear. They will be able to be “peaking” past age of 35.

If you talking about peaking at specific moment of the year, then it has more to do with s/c.

Think About getting ready for a long distance run like marathon.

You train for couple of months (maybe even a full year) to be at your best for a specific date.

If you train too little, you won’t be ready

If you train too hard, you “peak” too soon n won’t perform at your absolute best at that specific date

I hear this term mentioned all the time, can someone explain when/how UFC fighters "peak"? What is the timeline and why does it occur at specific times? The reason I ask is that people make a big deal about MMA fighters fighting more than 4 times a year, yet muay thai fighters fight every two weeks. What is the difference and why do S&C coaches make such a big deal about it? Is there some kind of measurable physiological metrics that show athletes "peaking"? How is this measured?
it's a totally subjective way of describing the evolution of a fighter's performance, based on no constant parameters at all besides their record, when they start to lose more than they win. some guys also try to include whatever random points that pops up in their mind, like commenting on speed, power, stamina, etc. if it seems relevant

Physical training makes you stronger in the long term, but weaker and exhausted in the short term.

Every fighter incorporates this philosophy into their training to some extent. No fighter does a high intensity the minute before the fight. Although many do it in general.

Some fighters and coaches just take it one step further and optimize the amount of rest. Stopping each training type at the right time for the best results.

This peaking approach however can cause a lot more training injuries because of the yoyo effect these programs have on the body. Having an athlete go from in to out of shape is not ideal for overall health. Athletes who don’t peak and train at less intensity but year round are less likely to be injured.

Oh shit someone gave a real answer, wasn't expecting that

Peaking is when fighters that used to be casuals become full fledged hardcores

It's a feeling thing. Facts are too old school. feelings are the future we need to progress peoples

Think of your body as your penis. When you peaked, that's when you're fully erected and can't get anymore erected. No matter how hard you try you can't get any bigger or stronger. It's all downhill from there. Slowly you will get weaker, smaller, and flabbier. How you measure your peak is when feel like you're getting weaker. Everybody is different.

You can't say someone has peaked until you see their downfall.

Well, most mma guys are kinda divas and really enjoy the time off to get fat between fights.

In places like Thailand, they just train, fight, train, fight, etc.....

Think of your body as your penis. When you peaked, that's when you're fully erected and can't get anymore erected. No matter how hard you try you can't get any bigger or stronger. It's all downhill from there. Slowly you will get weaker, smaller, and flabbier. How you measure your peak is when feel like you're getting weaker. Everybody is different.

You can't say someone has peaked until you see their downfall.

Fully erected reem

alistair-overeem.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back