Explain how Jones is GOAT..I don't understand..

Guys with more than 20 victories.

He's been champion for 3 years.

Anderson, Fedor, and GSP were champions for 6 years each.
Aldo has been champion for 5.

Doesn't he have more title defenses than Aldo? That's more impressive than the length of the reign, imo. Anyway:

Jones is behind the big three, but not by much in my opinion. Beating DC, Gus again, and Rumble would get him most of the way there in my opinion.

^This.

He's LHW Goat, but he's still behind the big 3.

I got Aldo ahead of him too. Longer reign, more victories.

If I were to choose, it'd be:

** Fedor **
- Undersized HW that has beaten opponents two times bigger than him.
- Finished his opponents in every area (KO, TKO, submission off his back and top position)
- Has only trained with one small camp and without any big names besides Aleks to prepare for his fights.
- Has fought under Japan and U.S. rules to show his versatility.

fedor is my favourite and i would consider him #1 also (even if only out of fanboyism) but those reasons are pretty poor

fedor is the GOAT because he never worked with other good guys
fedor fought in the USA and Japan to show his versitility
fedor fought large, comparatively unskilled fighters a few times

fedor to me was great because of his demeanor, his attitude and his fearless fighting style in which he would aggressively throw himself into any situation to implement his gameplan... and with that attitude he won the fans and scared the opposition for a uniquely long period of time... but saying he was the best because he fought in both japan and the usa is pretty poorly argued

Yet he has more title defenses than all of them Except Anderson and GSP and he is catching up.

He is also finishes more than GSP and has done more at his age than Anderson did by the same period in time.

He is also a white belt with about 3 years of experience and yet he submited black belts and outstruck strikers with over a decades of experience. He made shogun tap to strikes for christ sakes!

White belt, black belt..it doesn't matter. He submitted a fake black belt in Vitor, a guy who was given a black belt by the Gracie connection. What matters is that he has a strong solid wrestling background and he learned how to apply submissions from the dominant positions he's mastered throughout the years..like Josh Barnett, but more wrestling credentials before his MMA career.

Many fighters has more finishes than GSP. That also doesn't prove he's better. GSP barely lost any rounds. His biggest threat was Hendricks. Before that, he was dominant and I think the WW division is far more superior than LHW. Take a look at Rumble Johnson. The dude has beaten one of the best LHW's in that class, Phil Davis and KO'ed Lil Nog in less than 30 seconds.

And you can't compare his finishes to Silva's because he hasn't shown as much versatility in his finishes. Spider's finishes throughout his career is just too hard to compare. The dude's embarrassed his opponents in 3 different weight classes.

The whole concept of a GOAT in a sport barely 20 yrs old is retarded.

It doesn't matter if the sport is 20 years old or 50 years old.

The GOAT is greatest the sport has seen, we have a sport and someone has to be the greatest..

Fedor is the greatest fighter we have seen so far, so... He is the GOAT.

Jones is working his way up though.

He's the GOAT of beating smaller opponents that is for sure, then GOAT of eyepokes and BS knee kicks

Aside from that he is pretty damn good

Goat or not, he's one step closer after tomorrow.

Guys with more than 20 victories.

He's been champion for 3 years.

Anderson, Fedor, and GSP were champions for 6 years each.
Aldo has been champion for 5.

I don't believe he's the GOAT yet. But that is a horrible argument. Aldo and Jones have an equal number of title defenses despite Aldo's "longer" reign. Nobody has dispatched his victims in quicker succession. If Jones beats Cormier, that will be win 8, and a win over Gus/Rumble winner will be 9, tying him with GSP, and 1 away fro silva. All under 30 years old.

I don't believe he's the GOAT yet. But that is a horrible argument. Aldo and Jones have an equal number of title defenses despite Aldo's "longer" reign. Nobody has dispatched his victims in quicker succession. If Jones beats Cormier, that will be win 8, and a win over Gus/Rumble winner will be 9, tying him with GSP, and 1 away fro silva. All under 30 years old.

technically, Aldo has more defenses if you count WEC. Agreed on everything else

i don't believe he's the goat yet. But that is a horrible argument. Aldo and jones have an equal number of title defenses despite aldo's "longer" reign. Nobody has dispatched his victims in quicker succession. If jones beats cormier, that will be win 8, and a win over gus/rumble winner will be 9, tying him with gsp, and 1 away fro silva. All under 30 years old.

9 > 7

If he beats DC tomorrow, he's right up there with the big 3.

A couple more title defenses after that, including a rematch with Gus and it won't even be debateable anymore (or at least it shouldn't be, though people still will).

On paper, I suppose you could make a case in the same category as Anderson, GSP, Fedor...

Consecutive title defenses
Beaten who's-who at 205, usually dominating

But when you examine beyond names, and give context to them...

Usually has a significant size advantage over other top comp; one time he hasn't, he arguably lost
Most top comp he's faced peaked well bofore they fought him
Signature moves include eye-pokes and front kicks to the knee
There's guys his size that have already dominated a weight class above him

All said, the guy is clearly the lhw GOAT, but does not belong anywhere in the overall GOAT discussion atm.

If he beats DC he is very close... but still he has to prove himself on HW or no GOAT for him.

He has the built for this... nad already stated that he wants.. so, lets see. Beat DC, GUs and he is ready to move one to HW. nothing to prove anymore... but HW is another place... if he goes well...

he is the GOAT, bit if not... Fedor still

Back