Experimenting with keto diet...need advice

MuyThaiFighter

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And it's scaring me to death to eat all this fat, but I need to try something different.

Breakfast:

1 scoop whey (26g)
1/2 cup oats
1 TBSP MCTs
4 whole eggs
1 turkey brat (18g protein/9g fat)

Mid-morning:

52g whey/1 TBSP MCTs

Lunch:

9 baby carrots
3 broccoli crowns
8 oz ribeye
1 slice cheese
1 TBSP MCTs

Afternoon:

52g whey/1 TBSP MCTs

Dinner:

6-8 oz 85% lean ground beef
1 cup spinach
1 slice cheese
1 TBSP MCTs

How's that look? What other meats would you recommend? Is my carb count too low?

Are chicken wings, baby back ribs (no sauce), etc. ok?

Any recommendations?

I'm 6'1" 230-235 and would like to weigh around 225, but my real issue is bodyfat. I've always carried extra around my mid-section. I probably carry 13-14%.

I workout regularly and followed a fairly strict/balanced diet for the last 10 years but i cannot seem to get rid of the love handles, etc. I need to try something different. That's why I'm trying this.

John Berardi - 7 Habits

This article will be your best friend. Not to sound like a dick, but your diet prolly wasn't that strict if you followed a good one for 10 years and didn't lose your love handles.

Thanks for commenting, but I've got a pretty good idea what my diet's been and I'm not where I want to be. I'm going to try something different.

I believe MikeMartial's diet is similar to this and he seems to know his shit.

And it's scaring me to death to eat all this fat, but I need to try something different.

How's that look? What other meats would you recommend? Is my carb count too low?

Are chicken wings, baby back ribs (no sauce), etc. ok?

Any recommendations?

First thing that comes to mind is your diet isn't a "keto" diet, per se. The amount of carbs you're eating, while relatively low compared to your bodyweight, probably isn't going to put you into ketosis. That's not a bad thing, though, because I don't see the point of actually trying to do that. I know there's some zero-carb fiends out there, but for athletic purposes, long-term adherence, and overall health, I wouldn't recommend it.

At a quick glance, you diet does look very similar to mine, but I would suggest you up your vegetable intake. The GI from most leafy green/colored veggies is low, and the overall glycemic load is minimal. Eat away. The main problem people run into when trying out this style of eating is drastically cutting their carb intake, and not taking in enough fat. It may seem like your eating a shitload of fat, but you're actually not.

What I would also recommend is tracking what you're food intake on fitday.com. It's tedious, but it'll give you a fairly decent macro breakdown.

Getting over the "fat phobia" takes time; it's just a mental thing, but after 50+ years of people saying it's bad, it's hard to look around the big black cloud and see the truth. Whoa, very deep.

There's a couple of great posts over at MDA on how Sisson eats; he's very pro-paleo, and at 50+ years old, he's in phenomenal shape:

Mark

Why all the MCTs? Try to get a fairly even amount of saturated fat, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats. You should be taking fish oil if you aren

TESTOSTERONE NATION | World's Largest Bodybuilding and Weight Loss Underground Nation

I went low carb and lost a bunch of weight. You do feel shitty while doing it though. That is why I would explore other avenues to do it, but if you feel that you have exhausted your other options, then by all means go ahead and do it. The article should give some insight on how to get into ketosis. This is one of the ones I read while I did some research.

Thanks for the response...

So for the most part, you think it's ok? Add some leafy greens and a small amount of carbs to my lunch and dinner?

Do you eat fatty meats?

Replace some of your MCT's with a monounsaturated source (olive oil, avocado, olives, almonds, etc...) and a polyunsaturated source - specifically high in Omega 3 (flax seed, fish, walnuts, fish oil, etc...). Get as many green veggies as you can and you'll probably be good.

Replace some of your MCT's with a monounsaturated source (olive oil, avocado, olives, almonds, etc...) and a polyunsaturated source - specifically high in Omega 3 (flax seed, fish, walnuts, fish oil, etc...). Get as many green veggies as you can and you'll probably be good.

Exactly as he said.

First thing that comes to mind is your diet isn't a "keto" diet, per se. The amount of carbs you're eating, while relatively low compared to your bodyweight, probably isn't going to put you into ketosis. That's not a bad thing, though, because I don't see the point of actually trying to do that. I know there's some zero-carb fiends out there, but for athletic purposes, long-term adherence, and overall health, I wouldn't recommend it.

At a quick glance, you diet does look very similar to mine, but I would suggest you up your vegetable intake. The GI from most leafy green/colored veggies is low, and the overall glycemic load is minimal. Eat away. The main problem people run into when trying out this style of eating is drastically cutting their carb intake, and not taking in enough fat. It may seem like your eating a shitload of fat, but you're actually not.

What I would also recommend is tracking what you're food intake on fitday.com. It's tedious, but it'll give you a fairly decent macro breakdown.

Getting over the "fat phobia" takes time; it's just a mental thing, but after 50+ years of people saying it's bad, it's hard to look around the big black cloud and see the truth. Whoa, very deep.

There's a couple of great posts over at MDA on how Sisson eats; he's very pro-paleo, and at 50+ years old, he's in phenomenal shape:

Mark

Back