Existence of "love" and other emotions.

Does motive exist?
If so, what are you going to say that is? A chemical reaction?
If not, who is going to break the news to judges and lawyers?

I should've been clearer. I don't view love as simply a chemical reaction.

Does "love" legitimately exist or is it simply just a chemical reaction in the brain? If the latter is true, does that mean anger, sadness, happiness, and so on are merely chemical reactions as well and nothing more? After reading about a study where scientists cut off the oxytocin receptors in rats, they were no longer rewarded (dopamine) for being around their female counterparts. The rats prior to having their receptors cut off were strictly monogamous, afterwards however, they were none other than polygamous creatures.

Now can a similar concept be applied to our emotions? Cut off some sort of receptor and just like that x emotion is nonexistent.

I don't mean to insult, but I find your question ridiculous. Like saying: "are legs really the way we walk? Like if we didn't have any legs would we still be able to walk, jump etc?"

EVERYTHING is cogs and wheels man. There's not the slightest credible evidence to the contrary.

I don't mean to insult, but I find your question ridiculous. Like saying: "are legs really the way we walk? Like if we didn't have any legs would we still be able to walk, jump etc?"

EVERYTHING is cogs and wheels man. There's not the slightest credible evidence to the contrary.

Walking isn't real without our own construct of what legs are. You just blew my mind, here's a $20

Can we talk about real things with concepts that fail to meet that very standard of realness?

Pretty sure this is what Jayden meant all along.

Chemical reactions in the brain trigger emotion. This explains human behavior at its most simplistic level. Humans have the rare ability to contemplate, remember, react, learn, reason etc. There is a wide range of ways in which humans deal with their chemical reactions (emotions) which separates us from lower organisms.

Back