Exercises with an injured ankle?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by c0r1nth14n, Aug 4, 2010.

1. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

So I lightly sprained my ankle, and while it'll be fine, the doctor said not to put a strain on it for the next month. Obviously muay thai is out, he said running is out, and aside from a couple of barbell/dumbbell exercises I can't think of anything I can do. Anyone have suggestions for ways to keep in shape until my ankle is all better? I'm dreading the thought of how much progress I'll lose in a month without exercise.

2. Giant Midget

Giant Midget Blue Belt

Hey dude, go swimming to keep your cardio up and since it's low impact it won't strain your ankle so you can go as often as you like. Other than that try doing some bodyweight excercises and compound lifting and before you know it your ankle will be better and you can start Thai back up. Hope this helped my man.

3. PWR1982

PWR1982 Green Belt

I think it's ok to squat. I squatted with a sprained ankle and everything was fine. Then I ran like 50 meters to catch the bus, and even though I didn't step on it in a bad way or something, it got worse. Your ankle is pretty stable in most barbell exercises, so besides stuff like cleans (where it extends), I think it's ok to squat if you are careful.

4. Alacrity

Alacrity White Belt

The golden rule is if it hurts, don't do it. But swimming is good. Also single leg workouts are good, ie - one leg squats. I read somewhere that if you hurt one side of your body, working the other side out more slows down muscle loss on the hurt side.

So look for exercises you can use for one leg, and maybe try some of the weight machines for leg exercises that don't involve your ankle. I know machines suck, but since they tent to focus on specific muscles, it gives you the oppurtunity to keep working out while avoiding stressing your injury.

But in all honesty, swimming is your best bet. After you get back on your feet, start doing more ankle exercises as well. I really messed up my ankle once playing basketball and my therapist had me to lots of strength exercises in order to stregthen the support muscles to reduce the chance of another injury.

Even with a minor injury, or without an injury, it's a good preventative practice.

5. PariahSmithee

PariahSmithee Yellow Belt

You should try Dick Hartzell's Don't Ice that Ankle Sprain...bascially no ice and strength and stretching with bands right away.

6. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

If you can't squat or DL, hammer your core with whatever you can do. Back extensions, glute ham raises, reverse hypers, seated GMs (if those don't hurt), hanging leg raises, and anyother core work you can think of. That way you won't find your core detrained as well your legs when you get back to squats and DLs. Especially because your core tends to detrain faster than your legs.

7. zx

zx adventurer

Throw in some bench and shoulder press, maybe pullups/chinups, some lateral fly etc...