exercises with a barbell

peanut butter

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
any suggestions for exercises using just a barbell, also considering no spotter and safety.

first three i can think of is, deads, bent over rows, and military press

oh boy.

deadlifts
bent over rows
military press
push press
shrugs
cleans (HAHA carnal!)
high pulls
reverse curls
front squats
romanian deadlifts
stiff legged deadlifts
one arm deadlifts (a new personal fave)
full contact twists
etc...

rEmY said:
oh boy.

deadlifts
bent over rows
military press
push press
shrugs
cleans (HAHA carnal!)
high pulls
reverse curls
front squats
romanian deadlifts
stiff legged deadlifts
one arm deadlifts (a new personal fave)
full contact twists
etc...

great, but arent high pulls a bit shitty for your wrists and shoulders,and how would i manage front squats. the rest are great though

peanut butter said:
great, but arent high pulls a bit shitty for your wrists and shoulders,and how would i manage front squats. the rest are great though

Clean the weight and then front squat it.

Overhead squats are good. Dimmel deadlifts.

high pulls are an explosive movement. i always use a somewhat lighter weight (55-65% of 1rm) so that i can use good form and be as explosive as possible. they shouldn't be hard on the wrist and shoulders as long as your grip isn't too narrow. you also may want to wrap your wrists. as far as other exercises let me try to throw a few more out: any clean variation (power, hang), snatches, hack squats, overhead squats, side lunges, one armed shoulder press, one arm curls, reverse grip rows, reverse grip cleans, floor press, tricep extension (lying, seated, or standing), close grip bench, reverse grip bench, JM press, front shoulder raises, pullovers, walking deadlift, shrugs, shrug holds, one arm shrugs, reverse lunge, jump lunge, step ups, jump squats, lunge with rear leg elevated, calf raises, forearm work, grip work, bradford press, and i'm sure you can find a park or something to do pull ups and dips on the monkey bars right?.......ummm that's about it that i can think of. hope i helped.

Dimmel deadlifts : Start at the finish position of a conventional deadlift.
Lower the bar, pushing back with the hips and flexing the knees, until the bar
is just below your knees.
Explode back up, really focusing on popping the hips forward explosively.
Repeat.
By the end, you should feel it in your hamstrings, lower back, and upper back.
They really are conventional deadlifts done only through the top half of the
range of motion.

step ups and pistols are good too.

Back