Exercises to strengthin your chin?

Discomushroom

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Title is self-explanatory, anyone have any recommendations? Chewing gum alot doesn't count

punch yourself in the chin over and over with increassing force. soon you will be like rampage.

I read something once that talked about how these specific muscles in your neck actually determine your "chin". Which might help explain why dudes with big, heavy heads (eg Rampage) have solid chins. I will try to find what I am talking about.

Deadlift, cleans, and bridging. And spend 10x more time learning to avoid getting hit

Chin is used figuratively... what determines your "chin" is neck strength and a little bit of jaw/headmuscle. Do shrugs, neck bridges, use a neck harness, be crazy when rolling and get strong supporting muscles.

You could always try my favorite program:
STFUAHAYCED

It's nothing you should bother training for in particular. Your time would be much better spent training your skills, and getting stronger, in that order.

If you train your skills you'll increase you ability to not get hit....and probably improve your ability to take a shot and stay composed,* thereby perhaps not panicking or succumbing to a flurry or both.

If you get stronger in general you may somehow get a stronger 'chin', ie, stronger traps/core whatever.

Someone like Tyson who is, or was, just quietly, already pretty good at boxing and also probably pretty strong...

can waste their time neck rolling etc. ....because all the more important shit is generally already taken care of.

I'm not going to link you to neck rolling exercises on youtube because you'll probably hurt yourself...

if anybody ever tells you to hit yourself harder to have a better chin, then thats wrong. apparently that only increases your chance of getting knocked out over time. Your brain develops a habit of shutting down every time you get hit with a good punch/kick/strike. so work on the excercises one mentioned above but do not hit yourself over and over.

no source. hate me.

Breath through your nose. Don't be a slack-jawed fighter.

If you have one of those piercings in your chin then you could maybe hook a plate to it. I would do something linear like a 5x5. Drink plenty of milk cause calcium builds strong bones. At least a gallon a day and 20 Now And Laters.

if anybody ever tells you to hit yourself harder to have a better chin, then thats wrong. apparently that only increases your chance of getting knocked out over time. Your brain develops a habit of shutting down every time you get hit with a good punch/kick/strike. so work on the excercises one mentioned above but do not hit yourself over and over.

no source. hate me.

You got to be really smart in order to judge whether or not repeatedly hitting yourself is beneficial.

Saw a thai boxing training vid where they held like a weighted bucket with the handle in their mouth. The handle was rope with a wooden bit to bite on.

Saw a thai boxing training vid where they held like a weighted bucket with the handle in their mouth. The handle was rope with a wooden bit to bite on.

Yea this is similar to what my Kru recomended. When he trained in Thailand he would attach a weight to a tshirt and while biting the opposide end of the shirt, move your chin up and down. While this apparently makes your chin stronger and more resistant to lighter/medium strikes - It obviosly would have little impact if you were struck with a clear shot that knocks it to the side - example being Hendo's ko of Bisbing

laughing intervals @ 90-100% Humor

i think some of these replys have put me on that program. yours winning.

I think one of the biggest things you can do isn't in the weight room but in sparring, technical drills and in the actual fight itself.

keep your fucking CHIN DOWN and your HANDS UP.

it doesn't take a ton of hits to figure out that getting hit in the jaw.... sucks.
getting hit in the forehead... sucks, but you don't fall down as much.
just like your hands come away from your face when you enter an exchange or throw combinations etc etc. your chin pops up. tape yourself training mitts or sparring and you'll see exactly what i mean. your chin comes up WAY more than you think it does. you can take twice the hit on the cheeks and foreheads as you can on the chin. so hide that little fucker. and have a good fight.

Back