Exercises to improve your pull up repetitions.

Ted-P

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any great assistant exercises to improve your pull up.

Actually more like dead hangs, but thats beside the point.

Should I just keep on doing pull ups until they improve or anyone have in my mind an exercise or exercises that could bolster my pathetic pullup numbers.

By the way I weigh 192 pounds and my max rep on pull ups have been 3 I think.

Sad.

3?! you might want to try grease the groove. Set up a pullup bar in your house somewhere you walk by often. Then every time you walk by do a pullup or two. This adds up to a lot (20-30) over the day. as you get better change to 80% of your max reps. Also if you use the search function you can find a great number of threads on the subject.

For me, 1 set to failure every other day worked best. Like that, i was able to do 20 deadhangs at about the same BW as you (190-200 lbs). But everybody is different.

Do you belong to a gym? Many have pull-up assistance machines. You can build up that way, always selecting a weight to assist you with which you can get your goal reps, although I don't know if there's any evidence it would work faster than just doing your body weight a bunch until you got there (the assistance machine is more of a machine for targeting difference workout goals: hypertrophy, toning, muscular endurance, etc.)

My friend was only able to do about 5 a month ago. Then he started to do pull ups, but hold at the top for as long as he can for 3 sets of 3 reps. Then the other day he tried doing them again, and he did 3 sets of 10, 8, 6. He could have probably done more than that. I might start trying that with weight around my waist since I am stuck.

3 Pull-Ups isn't so bad, hell I can only do about 5 or 6 without using any swinging motion and I find myself to be pretty strong. Are you doing Wide Grip Chins or Close Grip?

Anyhoo, you might wanna try either an assistance Machine or some cable pulldowns just in so you can work with higher reps and have a change of pace.

I do a fairly wide grip dead hangs

Right before the bar bends downward.

Running.

By the time you can run 10 miles, I bet you can do 10 pullups.

(Meaning - and no offense here - that you are probably too heavy and your GPP is suffering due to it)

Cmart said:
Running.

By the time you can run 10 miles, I bet you can do 10 pullups.

(Meaning - and no offense here - that you are probably too heavy and your GPP is suffering due to it)

Why would I do such a terrible thing.

Distance running is a sin in my book and much of a sin as a healthy diet.

Ted, just for that post, I will never bring up our little secret again.

RUNNING FOR MORE THAN 100 YARDS/METERS IS :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:RY OF THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST ORDER.

Maybe you should just gargle some of Lance Amrstrongs sweat from his cute little spandex shorts.

Endurance athletes-Gazelle's. Gazelle's are REALLY gayish animals ya know. Only endurance athletes don't get to have horns. They'd probably tear their pussies all up trying to fuck themselves with those horns, best to leave them out.

Work on your Back(upper and lower) and your biceps

On second thought, I've decided they're giselle's

giselle26.jpg

Like that, with slightly less disgusting fat and muscle mass.

Once you finish doing your pull-ups/chins do negative pull-ups/chins. I know a guy who went from not being able to do one positive chin to 5 deadhang positives in as little as ten days just by training negatives.

Starting at the finished position and gradually lowering yourself down.

Pullups, being a bodyweight exercise, favor those with the lower bodyweights, or at least lower in proportion to their strength. I used to be able to do 24 pullups, but I'm 20 pounds heavier now so I can do about a dozen. If you want to be impressive at bodyweight exercises, lower your bodyweight.

If you just want to be huge and brutally strong, pullups will still be of benefit to you, but they'll be a bit humbling as well.

PariahCarey said:
Once you finish doing your pull-ups/chins do negative pull-ups/chins. I know a guy who went from not being able to do one positive chin to 5 deadhang positives in as little as ten days just by training negatives.
From nothing to 5 in 10 days? Are you sure dude, that sounds rather extreme.

CarnalSalvation said:
Ted, just for that post, I will never bring up our little secret again.

RUNNING FOR MORE THAN 100 YARDS/METERS IS :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:RY OF THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST ORDER.

Maybe you should just gargle some of Lance Amrstrongs sweat from his cute little spandex shorts.

Endurance athletes-Gazelle's. Gazelle's are REALLY gayish animals ya know. Only endurance athletes don't get to have horns. They'd probably tear their pussies all up trying to fuck themselves with those horns, best to leave them out.

:eek:

I was captain of my HS XC team

Cmart said:
Pullups, being a bodyweight exercise, favor those with the lower bodyweights, or at least lower in proportion to their strength. I used to be able to do 24 pullups, but I'm 20 pounds heavier now so I can do about a dozen. If you want to be impressive at bodyweight exercises, lower your bodyweight.

If you just want to be huge and brutally strong, pullups will still be of benefit to you, but they'll be a bit humbling as well.
I am far from impressive in either weight lifting or bodyweight exercises.

Thats why I shall conquer both.

do more pullups and pull downs with weight you can rep more. all sorts of pulling exercises you should be doing.

Back