Executive Order 9066

Quipling

classical conservative
@Silver
Reaction score
http://www.archives.gov/historical-docs/todays-doc/?dod-date=219
Berfore today ends, I want to point out that this is the anniversary of when president FDR sent japanese-americans to internment camps on the grounds that they were a threat to national security.

The US has since apologized for those actions. Like this post if you know what PC pussy president did this.
it was Reagan

Thoughts?

Should we have done it knowing what we did?

How about knowing what we do now?

Have you ever thought about it in other contexts?

I think it was justified. In fact anything which aims to preserve and protect innocent life or for the greater good can be justified by today's standards. In example western nations using drones to kill because they don't want hands dirty and citizens are okay because it does not affect them. Or them funding military operations but not deploying troops. Same thing here. The U.S. also never maintained a system of mass discrimination against the Japanese. Look at what the Japanese have done since in America phenomenonal things.

Last edited by a moderator:
FDR was a pretty racist individual, that was pretty known.

I think it's easier today to monitor citizens you may find at risk to radicalize which I'm guessing what FDR was thinking at this time. If they are US citizens, you can't really go beyond that point. The refugee crisis was different because we were making decisions about bringing them in and making them citizens. FDR definitely would've been fine with halting Japanese immigration to the US at the time but you can't just turn on Japanese-Americans because of suspicion and take away rights.

FDR was a pretty racist individual, that was pretty known.

Woodrow Wilson was pretty bad but I guess the racism likely gets worse the farther back you go.

It was war time during an age with limited ways to gain intelligence of who is capable of what. Its not like they could monitor emails, phone calls or had an international organization sharing information about terrorist. It was harsh but justified.

Unjustified. They picked on the Japanese because there were few enough to corral. Why didn't they round up German-Americans? Clearly because there were too many. So the whole justification is weak.

The whole thing was an embarrassment. There almost certainly would have been no terrorism, as there wasn't any afterwards despite the Japanese-Americans having more reason than ever to want to commit violent acts having just been wrongfully imprisoned and having heard of hundreds of thousands of their relatives in Japan vaporized.

http://www.archives.gov/historical-docs/todays-doc/?dod-date=219
Berfore today ends, I want to point out that this is the anniversary of when president FDR sent japanese-americans to internment camps on the grounds that they were a threat to national security.

The US has since apologized for those actions. Like this post if you know what PC pussy president did this.
it was Reagan

Thoughts?

Should we have done it knowing what we did?

How about knowing what we do now?

Have you ever thought about it in other contexts?
It was a different time.
It still shouldn't have happened.
Nullifying the rights of US citizens with such sweeping authority is horrifying.
The people whining today about their precious privacy just don't even compare, they don't even know.

Unjustified. They picked on the Japanese because there were few enough to corral. Why didn't they round up German-Americans? Clearly because there were too many. So the whole justification is weak.

The whole thing was an embarrassment. There almost certainly would have been no terrorism, as there wasn't any afterwards despite the Japanese-Americans having more reason than ever to want to commit violent acts having just been wrongfully imprisoned and having heard of hundreds of thousands of their relatives in Japan vaporized.
Except, you know, the Germans hadn't ATTACKED us yet....

just saying. whether War was declared or not against both countries, only the Japanese successfully traversed the ocean to get to us

Woodrow was supposedly bad even for his time.

Some of the stuff I read seemed like it but I never really knew the context of one decade from another with regards to racism.

I have never understood why all the emphasis is placed on the internment of Japanese Americans and none on the internment of German and Italian Americans during WWII...

I have never understood why all the emphasis is placed on the internment of Japanese Americans and none on the internment of German and Italian Americans during WWII...
Much smaller number, both proportionally and in absolute terms. It was bad, but not exactly the same.

And now you know.

Because those two nations didn't launch a successful attack on US soil...

It was war time during an age with limited ways to gain intelligence of who is capable of what. Its not like they could monitor emails, phone calls or had an international organization sharing information about terrorist. It was harsh but justified.

In Hawaii maybe, in continental America? surely not.

They picked on them because they were weak unlike Italian and German Americans.

In Hawaii maybe, in continental America? surely not.

They picked on them because they were weak unlike Italian and German Americans.

Or because the germans or italians did not directly attack the US?

Or because the germans or italians did not directly attack the US?

The Germans declared the war the moment the Japanese attacked, dont be ridiculous.

There were also intelligence reports stating that the Japanese were not a threat.

In early 1941, President Roosevelt secretly commissioned a study to assess the possibility that Japanese Americans would pose a threat to U.S. security. The report, submitted exactly one month before Pearl Harbor was bombed, found that, "There will be no armed uprising of Japanese" in the United States. "For the most part," the Munson Report said, "the local Japanese are loyal to the United States or, at worst, hope that by remaining quiet they can avoid concentration camps or irresponsible mobs."[3] A second investigation started in 1940, written by Naval Intelligence officer Kenneth Ringle and submitted in January 1942, likewise found no evidence of fifth column activity and urged against mass incarceration.[5] Both were ignored.

When did the War Room became this fucking racist.

Also im pretty sure that it was wildly illegal to do so.

Back