Excuses

I don't mind excuses if they come out the next fight and look better. Cain said he was hurt the first JDS fight and then he came out and stomped him in the rematch. Nothing wrong with that.

When did Cain say that? I remember him not saying anything.

......There was a rumor going around that his rib was hurt again before the fight and Anderson responded to the rumor dispelling it completely and saying that he was 100%. I remember in the video Anderson was laughing about it and basically implying that the media was lying.......

Before a fight, no fighter is going to admit they have an injury.

Somebody asked him if he was carrying an injury, he answered it. As far as I can remember, he hadn't be asked that question after the fight. I don't see it as an excuse, most fighters go into a fight with injuries.

Injuries are used as an excuse more by the Nog's and Shogun's of the world.

Yes, champion Sherdog poster, you tell these professional fighters how to think and behave sir.

Somebody asked him if he was carrying an injury, he answered it. As far as I can remember, he hadn't be asked that question after the fight. I don't see it as an excuse, most fighters go into a fight with injuries.

Injuries are used as an excuse more by the Nog's and Shogun's of the world.

Nog was in the hospital before the first Mir fight with a nasty staph infection and despite that, he never said it himself. The media found out about it on their own. No excuse there. Shogun also never said anything about his knee surgeries affecting his performances, in fact he's stated over and over that he is the same fighter as he was in Pride which is clearly not true. It was his fans and other people making excuses for fighters is not their choice. These excuses came straight from the fighters mouths. It's extremely different and you should apologize to the MMA Gods for soiling the name of such great warriors who did not deserve it.

When did Cain say that? I remember him not saying anything.

Cain and JDS both had knee injuries going into their first fight. Cain and JDS both stated such AFTER the fight. Cain's injury was even documented on Fight Factory.

No he can't. Because he won in such a controversial way, and was criticized for not being the usual dominant one.

So he's making an excuse as some sort of a defence mechanism, just like a fighter who lost would have. It's actually even worse for him to make an excuse, a really horrible one at that.

I agree that it's worse, because Gustafsson showed the heart of a champion even in defeat, and Jones is trying to take that away from him by making up excuses.

Let's hope that Anderson and Jones are playing mind games. Anything else would be the bad sportsmanship.

I can believe that Anderson is trying to get into Weidmans head and devalue his win because they are officially fighting again.

Jones made his pathetic excuse to justify avoiding a rematch which he clearly hopes something happens to stop Gus from getting. There is no excuse for that excuse lol

Couldn't agree more TS. While we're at it, let's talk about some of the other lame excuses both Silva and Jones both made themselves after their last fights.

"The problem was I concentrated too much on my boxing for this fight"

*Clearly he didn't since his boxing looked horrid and he threw very, VERY few punches, mostly kicks and elbows the entire fight. He was taken down for the first time in his entire MMA career and got stuffed 10 out of 11 times. Now he's feeling salty about it and trying to do damage control.*

"I won decisively against Gustafsson"

*In other words, there should be 0 controversy, yet there's a ton? The crowd booed his ass for a reason, the fans think otherwise, and more pro MMA fighters than not do too. Hmmm. Jones supposedly "watched the fight more than 10 times afterwards" and decided he won so decisively that there shouldn't be an immediate rematch. Well, if it was such a decisive win for him, why would be need to watch it more than 10 times?! Also, watching it "more than 10 times"

Gus won that fight, everyone (even Jones) knows it.

I am an Anderson fan, but there is absolutely no reason to make excuses about an injury when you lose.

If you're too hurt to fight, then don't fight or if you are injured and decide to fight, don't even mention an injury afterwards!

funny how AS had injured ribs the 2 fights he lost (I know he beat Chael but just as an example)

If you watch the movie "Like Water" on Netflix, you will clearly see Anderson's rib was giving him a lot of trouble leading up to the first fight with Shael.

I am an Anderson fan, but there is absolutely no reason to make excuses about an injury when you lose.

If you're too hurt to fight, then don't fight or if you are injured and decide to fight, don't even mention an injury afterwards!

funny how AS had injured ribs the 2 fights he lost (I know he beat Chael but just as an example)
I agree with you 100 percent .
If you go into a fight injured it is a self indicted wound and you shouldn't complain about it after the fight .
That's one of the reasons I like jim miller , when he fought benson he apparantly was having kidney issue which affected his weight cut

No he can't. Because he won in such a controversial way, and was criticized for not being the usual dominant one.

So he's making an excuse as some sort of a defence mechanism, just like a fighter who lost would have. It's actually even worse for him to make an excuse, a really horrible one at that.

How is it such an excuse, really? What is he excusing? Putting on a gutsy performance and come from behind victory? The fight was epic. If he really feels that he was off that night, who cares? It's one thing if he got handled or something, but that was not the case...

He is excusing "not being 100%", when in fact anybody could say such a thing. It is the opponent that makes you not 100%, or, if you can't be 100%, then that is how good/bad you are as a figher. That defines you just like any other attribute.

Cain and JDS both had knee injuries going into their first fight. Cain and JDS both stated such AFTER the fight. Cain's injury was even documented on Fight Factory.

I missed that completely. Thanks.

So what I get from this thread is if someone asks you if you had any injuries leading up to the fight and you really did, you should just lie and say you didn't?

Nowadays no fighter is 100% after the grueling camps they have injury or no injury. Sometimes you have to take injury's into account such as Shogun losing to Forrest with his knee hurt and then destroying him years later. Nowadays many fighters have problems going into fights fighters should just fight instead of using the "I was hurt" excuse because before the fight they usually are singing a different song. There are valid excuses occasionally but we're at a point where more fighters try to rationalize why they lost than own up and say the other guy beat me I lost I've got to work harder.

Back