Excuses...how many you got?

Mannin

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Just curious what injuries you battle but still continue to train without it stopping you. Sometimes you think you have it bad, but then you hear of someone else having it worse which can actually be inspiring. I just hear so many people around my life that have excuses for their unhealthy lifestyle. I Pray I never become one of them.

Age 34 - 5'10" 170 - 1st year Muay Tai
Mine are minor, and haven't stopped me yet. Mentally I don't think about it, if you do you'll feel the pain.

(Nagging left hand) Spiral fractured all 4 bones down to the wrist.

(Nagging left shoulder) Broken left shoulder (ball joint), caused a torn rotator cuff - surgery not recommended since it's healing. (Doc says take it easy, I said "guess I'll have to build all the muscles around my rotator cuff stronger"..so far so good)

(Nagging right knee) Broken right knee/Tibial Plateau Fracture.

Heart Condition called Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) - Had to have my heart stopped and restarted twice by injection.

Some will laugh at this one, but oddly enough the hardest of them all is chronic migraines. Those who get them know the damage. I've found a way to slow them down though.

What are yours? :D

Nike No Excuses Commercial

Last edited:
Fine, I'll play:

Osteoarthritis both hands and wrists secondary to multiple fractures.
Nerve damage and loss of tactile sensation/fine motor control both hands.
Damage to central nervous system following cerebral malaria affecting metabolism and ability to regulate core temperature.
Reconstructive surgery right leg following multiple compound fractures. Tibia reinforced with graft and structural brace. Right knee recontructed.
Reconstructive surgery left leg following multiple compound fractures. Impingement left ankle secondary to gait dysfunction following accident.
Left shoulder and left side of chest reconstructed (fractures to scapula, clavicle and multiple compound rib fractures). Pin and screw configuration holding left shoulder together, rotation dysfunction secondary to reconstructive surgery.
Arterial shunt left temporal lobe following impact/concussive trauma and cranial bleed.

Multiple joint dislocations over the years, only ones that bother me are dislocation of right elbow (did not tap in time) and hyper-extension of left elbow (throwing).

Missing section of large intense negatively affecting digestion (particularly with respect to lactose - apologies to my woman for every time I have eaten ice cream).

Shit that does not affect me on a regular basis is not worth thinking about.

Well Eric, your first post has already made me re-think mine. Seriously.. awesome to read and 99% of the people in this world would give up in your situation. Props to ya bro.

Bad shoulder and a fused ankle, 14 surgeries between the two of them.

No fucks given about either.

I hurt my back a few years ago, 'i have to be a LITTLE careful with that but other than that.....nothing, nada....age: 34

cracked skull, what do any of you know.

Fine, I'll play:

Osteoarthritis both hands and wrists secondary to multiple fractures.
Nerve damage and loss of tactile sensation/fine motor control both hands.
Damage to central nervous system following cerebral malaria affecting metabolism and ability to regulate core temperature.
Reconstructive surgery right leg following multiple compound fractures. Tibia reinforced with graft and structural brace. Right knee recontructed.
Reconstructive surgery left leg following multiple compound fractures. Impingement left ankle secondary to gait dysfunction following accident.
Left shoulder and left side of chest reconstructed (fractures to scapula, clavicle and multiple compound rib fractures). Pin and screw configuration holding left shoulder together, rotation dysfunction secondary to reconstructive surgery.
Arterial shunt left temporal lobe following impact/concussive trauma and cranial bleed.

Multiple joint dislocations over the years, only ones that bother me are dislocation of right elbow (did not tap in time) and hyper-extension of left elbow (throwing).

Missing section of large intense negatively affecting digestion (particularly with respect to lactose - apologies to my woman for every time I have eaten ice cream).

Shit that does not affect me on a regular basis is not worth thinking about.

Wow! Respect, you are a bad ass. Just reading it renewed my will to train.

I'm not sure if I'm "qualified" to answer but what the hell:

Patella maltracking, It's not a problem in day to day live but if I'm on my knees in an akward position then they might pop out of place.

Shitty ankle/shin, don't know what it is but it's been around a year now. Once went to a doctor and got physio but didn't help. It flares up after running but is ok to squat with or even hop and cycle. It can't handle pressure from the side so can't really do bjj with it as even being in half guard hurt it pretty bad. Have a date with a doctor soon though.

Wow! Respect, you are a bad ass. Just reading it renewed my will to train.

No, not really. Just a guy who never knows when to quit. This helps me in some areas, causes problems in others.

I know guys who are worse off. I coached a guy at a PL meet who had competed since the early 1960's. His wife was gone, and he was dying of cancer. Puked from chemo following his squat attempts. Someone dropped a loaded bar on his foot in the warm-up room and cut off part of his pinky toe. He went 7/9. He was 81. Tons of other issues.

Guys like that are bad asses.

Coached another guy. Korean war vet, lost 60% of his lung tissue during the war (froze in the cold). Multiple purple hearts, etc. He started competing at 71 years old. During his last meet he coughed blood from the strain prior to his third attempt deadlift. He still pulled 275 for the first time ever after that.

Died the next year from complications due to diabetes that he had suffered from for who knows how many decades.

^ That man is a gucking monster

Edit: both of em.

No, not really. Just a guy who never knows when to quit. This helps me in some areas, causes problems in others.

I know guys who are worse off. I coached a guy at a PL meet who had competed since the early 1960's. His wife was gone, and he was dying of cancer. Puked from chemo following his squat attempts. Someone dropped a loaded bar on his foot in the warm-up room and cut off part of his pinky toe. He went 7/9. He was 81. Tons of other issues.

Guys like that are bad asses.

Geeze... definite bad ass.

Geeze... definite bad ass.

The entire generation was in comparison to us. I am referring to my grandparents generation, which would mean great-grandparents to many posting here. (they would all be over 100 years of age if they were still around). For them the depression was a warm-up prior to kicking Hitler and Tojo's asses in a gigantic tag-team match. Hell, one of my grandmothers who never worked outside the home (I say this carefully because the amount of work she did at home, by hand, was scary)* learned how to operate a torch and welded in a shipyard during WWII while my grandfather was gone for years. At one point she did not know if he was alive or dead for nearly two years, having not been able to get word back from him.

Now you see guys cry like little girls on the Ultimate Fighter because they are gone from home for a few weeks? Please.

*I say this because on several occasions where I pissed my grandfather off he would "gently insist" that I help her out around the house. Nothing like being a hockey player/fighter and getting turned into a complete bitch by a 60 year old woman who never quite made it to five feet tall.

Tibia and Fibula broken in several places (sorta similar from Anderson but didn't happen fighting). Had too be repaired with a titanium rod but just under a year later it is pretty damn good. Not 100% normal (probably never will be) but good enough to jog, go to gym, basketball... it's amazing what they can do these days, I wasn't sure if I would ever walk without a limp again!

The entire generation was in comparison to us. I am referring to my grandparents generation, which would mean great-grandparents to many posting here. (they would all be over 100 years of age if they were still around). For them the depression was a warm-up prior to kicking Hitler and Tojo's asses in a gigantic tag-team match. Hell, one of my grandmothers who never worked outside the home (I say this carefully because the amount of work she did at home, by hand, was scary)* learned how to operate a torch and welded in a shipyard during WWII while my grandfather was gone for years. At one point she did not know if he was alive or dead for nearly two years, having not been able to get word back from him.

Now you see guys cry like little girls on the Ultimate Fighter because they are gone from home for a few weeks? Please.

*I say this because on several occasions where I pissed my grandfather off he would "gently insist" that I help her out around the house. Nothing like being a hockey player/fighter and getting turned into a complete bitch by a 60 year old woman who never quite made it to five feet tall.

Completely agree with everything you said. I still remember my hard ass grandpa, man was he hilarious but when you fucked up it was go time. Miss that old WW2 vet.

Great story btw at the end..

Calling miaou and Jaunty...

Haha. Mine aren't even close to Eric's or Miaou's. I actually don't know how serious most of them are because most of them haven't been properly diagnosed.

The ones I have had properly diagnosed are my double torn rotator cuff and trashed left knee (torn ACL, PC, meniscus degeneration and patellar tendinitis).

One that isn't diagnosed but I might have been a bit significant is my right knee, which I strongly suspect had or has a torn meniscus.

On top of that I have some things that just click and are debilitating for a few days. Something clicks in my neck sometimes when I am pressing and I can't move my head for a couple of days. Likewise with my back, when it clicks I am bent over 60 degrees, it takes me a painful minute to straighten it out again and I am bent over again 20 seconds later. So I can't walk for 2-3 days. The first time it took a month to completely clear up but second time and all subsequent times it is gone without trace in a few days.

Beyond that, just wear-and-tear overuse stuff- tendinitis in the shoulder, triceps, hamstrings, knee. Shin splints. All avoidable if I was less retarded and highly treatable.

I suppose the only thing about that stuff is that it has all been in the space of just over three years. So this stuff has popped up a lot and has interrupted my work fairly consistently. But I am not training for any particular sport. So nowadays my attitude is that as long as I keep doing stuff, and improving in some way, I am happy.

Osgood Schlaetters disease in both my knees... yet i squat 315 and continue improving it

Shattered both wrists in a fall. Broke fingers/toes plenty, couple of ribs. Messed my ankles skateboarding but never broke them. Aside from that nothing except tendonitis and aches and pains from 20 + years of rock climbing/skate boarding and whatever else I could do to smash my body around.

Back