Examples of Extremely Bad Fight IQ

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
It's going to be hard to top Soukamthath vs O'Malley, but I think one that gets forgotten is Michel Prazeres vs Ismael Naurdiev.

Prazeres managed to take Naurdiev down three times in that fight (once each round). But after each takedown, he attempted to mount Naurdiev, and got bridged the exact same way as he tried to mount each time.

It reminded me of another fight in the UFC: Matt Arroyo vs Dan Cramer. At least twice in the fight Arroyo took Cramer down, took Cramer's back, and then ended up on the bottom for the majority of the round.

Despite not succeeding in the UFC, Arroyo still corners a ton of guys.

Didn’t Melvin Guillard shoot on someone like Josh Neer who was just about to be stopped on a cut?

Might have been Nate Diaz.

Edit: It was both Nate and Josh Neer. Both times he was on the brink of victory on the feet, shot for a takedown and got immediately subbed.

Last edited:
Kevin Holland having success on the feet against Vettori, but:
  • running into close range without need, getting into the clinch and subsequently taken down.
  • letting himself get pressured towards the fence without Vettori even applying a lot of pressure, making it super easy for Vettori to drive Holland against the cage and take him down again.

- Big Nog going for the guillotine choke when he had Frank Mir almost out with punches
1_medium.gif

- Teh Chris channeling his inner Edson Barboza and going for a spinning wheel kick against Rockhold when it just appeared that Chris was taking control of the fight
weidman-spin.gif

- Cat Zingano going for a weak flying knee/teep kick and a judo toss against Ronda right at the start, and got reversed immediately and armbarred
a8f199e2924cc6247907d8c455a94793.gif

- Matt Riddle was coached by Sock 'em Rock 'em robots for his fight against Sean Pierson
mmariddlepearson.gif

- Kelvin going for a takedown after rocking Izzy with a head kick and punches in the fourth round, and gave Adesanya time to clear his cobwebs

- All of Cody's losses

Last edited:
Weidman wasn't really winning or putting on a show, but his shit spinning back kick that led to Rockhold getting him down was hilariously bad

Didn’t Melvin Guillard shoot on someone like Josh Neer who was just about to be stopped on a cut?

Might have been Nate Diaz.
It was Nate and he was even piecing him up on the feet. Such bad fight IQ

William Knight initiating grappling exchanges in his most recent fight when he was winning the standup, and moreover, when his opponent had already taken him down multiple times with the same exact Polish throw that Knight didn't know how to defend. End result: Knight got Polish thrown, ended up on bottom for the rest of the round, and lost a lopsided decision.

Weidman wheel kick
Zingano running into the clinch against Ronda
Rumble trying to wrestle and clinch DC

You are a serious student of the game, I don't know most of those names.

The ones that popped into my head were Anderson clowning around while standup fighting Weidman. And also Chael throwing that weird spinning backfist against Anderson. But I don't know if those are fight IQ failings or just the chaos of being in a fist fight.

Back