Exactly how legit is Rickson Gracie?

Mob69

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
It's odd that as a hardcore MMA fan of four years' standing, I have to ask how legit Rickson Gracie was in real combat (as opposed to pure BJJ). Sure, he was the original star of Pride, and could have competed in the UFC, but, beside Funaki, did he ever fight anyone who was legit? Not that I can see.

There's something of a consensus that he's the best BJJ practitioner of all time, but while that is probably true, it doesn't mean that he deserves the MMA reverence that he gets. People love his stories - the fight on the beach and behind closed doors - but his opponents were not significant combatants.

Obviously he showed the power of BJJ in twice besting the massive Zulu in NHB-type fights in Brazil, in 1980 and 1984. Fine.

So far as I can tell, his opponents at Vale Tudo Japan in '94 and '95 were not notable combatants.

In Pride, he twice fought a fucking pro wrestler, Takada - who had a terrible record of 2 wins and 6 losses (1 of those wins being a fight with Coleman that was probably fixed).

His final fight in 2000 was against another pro wrestler, Funaki, who easily had the strongest credentials of any opponent.

His opponent in the beach fight, Hugo Duarte, didn't beat anyone of note in MMA, and lost to Tank Abbott and Mark Kerr.

His other infamous fight, the unseen scuffle with Yoji Anjo, saw him beat up another pro wrestler - shock - who retired with an MMA record of 0 wins and 5 losses.

With the exception of Funaki, Rickson never fought ANYONE who was legit. His Joe Rogan podcast saw him talking endlessly about streetfights in Brazil (kinda sounds a bit thuggish, but whatever) against people who nobody has ever heard of!

So, basically, as a legit fighter, as opposed to BJJ expert, is it safe to say that the Rickson Gracie myth is nothing but another carefully-managed Gracie informercial?

Rickson's record of 400-0 was called bullshit by his own father. He appears to count rolling in the gym as part of his 400-0 resume. And yet, in his entire life, he was never tapped by anyone? Not even when he was learning? That's ridiculous and implausible. It indicates that Rickson only counts episodes where he came out on top, and conveniently ignores those where he didn't (for instance he has a documented loss in sambo, but simply ignores it). Using Rickon's methodology (ignore where things tanked), we would ALL have a perfect 400-0 record at something or another. Why jeopardise your reputation by fighting Bas Rutten, Frank Shamrock etc. and be defeated publicly in a way that you can't deny?

As an aside, in the JRE podcast Rickson mentioned the many BJJ titles that he won in tournaments. I've never seen those listed anywhere, but I'm obviously looking in the wrong place. Could someone point me towards his BJJ titles/resume?

As you can perhaps tell, something about the Rickson myth rubs me the wrong way.

well speaking about pride, many fighters that are now greats have quite a few padded wins in pride, but yes, rickson was definitely not as great as some claim

Nice breakdown. I was wondering the same myself. Good read.

I don't believe he was much of an MMA fighter... He had the mindset and physical abilities to be truly great at MMA, if he was an upcoming fighter in the present.

He's a Gracie, therefore he thinks he's the hottest shit to have ever walked the earth. Nothing more to it...

Yuki Nakai is certainly 'legit.' I'd say that to call Funaki and Yuki Nakai legit is something of an understatement. Yoshinori Nishi was also very skilled and Koichiro Kimura was the Submission Arts Wrestling national champ(Submission Arts Wrestling is a no-gi grappling tournament which preceded ADCC and Combat Wrestling and may have been the first no-gi grappling tournament of the modern era).

He beat a battered, blind (literally), bantamweight Yuki Nakai in the most legit win of his career, in the Vale Tudo Japan final. Looked to be in trouble in the first fight of the GP versus some Japanese wrestler, though.

Something about the Funaki fight doesn't smell right.

Rickson wouldn't have won UFC 2 let alone beat any modern day top 30 fighters in his prime.

Yuki Nakai is certainly 'legit.' I'd say that to call Funaki and Yuki Nakai legit is something of an understatement. Yoshinori Nishi was also very skilled and Koichiro Kimura was the Submission Arts Wrestling national champ(Submission Arts Wrestling is a no-gi grappling tournament which preceded ADCC and Combat Wrestling and may have been the first no-gi grappling tournament of the modern era).

Thanks for this, very helpful to know.

In 1993 at the U.S. Sambo Championships in Norman, Oklahoma, undefeated Rickson Gracie, of the legendary Gracie Jiu-Jitsu family, with over 300 straight victories, was matched with multiple Judo and Sambo champion Ron Tripp. The 6 feet 205 pound Tripp threw the 5 feet 10 inch, 185 pound Gracie to the canvas by "Uchimata" in 47 seconds and Gracie's shoulders touched the floor, thus giving Tripp "absolute" victory under U.S. Sambo rules. Rickson complained that he didn't understand the rules, because if he did, he would never have let himself be thrown.

Rickson wouldn't have won UFC 2 let alone beat any modern day top 30 fighters in his prime.

He would've won the first handful of UFC's pretty handily, but Royce fought instead of Rickson. Don't be an idiot

I don't believe he was much of an MMA fighter... He had the mindset and physical abilities to be truly great at MMA, if he was an upcoming fighter in the present.

Would agree with this. His BJJ was great. He was one of those early guys that would have done well in the early UFC days etc. If he had done UFC 1 like Royce. But hes about 10 years older than Royce. And look how long ago it was that Royce fought even going back to UFC 1. Think the sport was really too early in development to see him fight lots of greats. And by the time it was developing fully, he was already getting up in age. Its always hard to say how these guys would do as the sport progressed but I think he was a legit fighter with a skillset that was not well understood at the time and was very effective.

In 1993 at the U.S. Sambo Championships in Norman, Oklahoma, undefeated Rickson Gracie, of the legendary Gracie Jiu-Jitsu family, with over 300 straight victories, was matched with multiple Judo and Sambo champion Ron Tripp. The 6 feet 205 pound Tripp threw the 5 feet 10 inch, 185 pound Gracie to the canvas by "Uchimata" in 47 seconds and Gracie's shoulders touched the floor, thus giving Tripp "absolute" victory under U.S. Sambo rules. Rickson complained that he didn't understand the rules, because if he did, he would never have let himself be thrown.

Thanks for this. Right there, that is my biggest problem with Rickson.

A guy who is OBSESSED with his own reputation and myth entered a competition without UNDERSTANDING THE RULES? That is simply impossible to believe. I wouldn't enter a competition without understanding the rules, let alone if I was Rickson Gracie with the mindset that he has. I just can't believe this, which is why I think there is strong evidence to think that much else about Rickson is utter rubbish.

The world may never know.

Considering his lack of fights and the caliber of competition, well, you can draw your own conclusions on where he ranks in MMA. As a life-long BJJ practioner, and an old-school gracie at that, obviously he's quite good at his bread N' butter, but we've seen how pure BJJ artists often end up in MMA without at least decent striking/TDD.

Bonus points for teaching Bruce Banner how to channel his anger.

Once it was very popular here to respond everything like that
''Rickson by armbar''

Thanks, very helpful to see the stats on his grappling career. Much appreciated. I once spent a little while (not long, I admit) fruitlessly searching Google for his BJJ credentials.

As my original post, I'm not questioning at all that he's the best BJJ player ever. Isn't there a story that he lined up about a dozen high-level dudes and subbed them one after the other, while telling them what he was going to tap them with? That's unreal. He would clearly have won UFCs 1-7, or so, if he competed in them.

However, his non-BJJ credentials are, to a large extent, a PR exercise.

Rickson Gracie is the greatest now, then and that will ever be.
-Rickson Gracie-

Back