Ex-UFC fighters C.B. Dollaway, Kajan Johnson file new lawsuit against UFC and Endeavor

And it will get real interesting if the UFC approaches them with a settlement.

Real easy today to sit back and talk big and say they won't, or if they did they want this and this and this done for fighters long term. But when tens of millions dollars are sitting in front of you and all you have to do is sign your name it becomes a little easier to forget all that shit.

The settlement would include contract changes according to Quarry

Tsunami of CTE? Boxing has been around for hundreds of years, head trauma from combat sports isn’t anything new. I’m all for forcing the ufc to pay higher purses to the fighters, but a union isn’t the way to go, neither is the Ali act.
As in most fans and fighters don't realize just how many cases of it you're going to see, 10, 15, 20 years down the road. Even in boxing, most don't really understand the scale of that problem.

How would you get the UFC to pay fighters more? There aren't a lot of options other than organizing labor or more federal regulations.

As in most fans and fighters don't realize just how many cases of it you're going to see, 10, 15, 20 years down the road. Even in boxing, most don't really understand the scale of that problem.

How would you get the UFC to pay fighters more? There aren't a lot of options other than organizing labor or more federal regulations.

By using former fighters to shame the company publicly and through filing anti trust lawsuits. Even if they don’t win the lawsuits, enough bad publicity will force WME to make changes.

By using former fighters to shame the company publicly and through filing anti trust lawsuits. Even if they don’t win the lawsuits, enough bad publicity will force WME to make changes.
I can't see it happening. Strikes historically have a very poor track record in most sports, and it's way too easy to find scab labor and break a strike in the UFC. The biggest driver of athlete pay in professional sports is free agency and competition. Period. So if you want to fix fighter pay, the solution is to improve strengthen free agency, be it legally or other ways.

I can't see it happening. Strikes historically have a very poor track record in most sports, and it's way too easy to find scab labor and break a strike in the UFC. The biggest driver of athlete pay in professional sports is free agency and competition. Period. So if you want to fix fighter pay, the solution is to improve strengthen free agency, be it legally or other ways.

I never said anything about striking? I said former ufc fighters need to speak up, file lawsuits, and basically create bad press for the ufc which will in turn cause wme to have to change its business model and share more of the profits.

I never said anything about striking? I said former ufc fighters need to speak up, file lawsuits, and basically create bad press for the ufc which will in turn cause wme to have to change its business model and share more of the profits.
I just brought up striking because that's the main form of bad press for a sports league. I'm hoping the things oyu mentioned happened but those are real long shots. You need changes with actual teeth, which probably means more regulation, be it through lawsuits or preferably at the federal level. Even expanding some of the protections NY and CA afford boxers would be nice, even if those are easily avoided by just going to another state.

I just brought up striking because that's the main form of bad press for a sports league. I'm hoping the things oyu mentioned happened but those are real long shots. You need changes with actual teeth, which probably means more regulation, be it through lawsuits or preferably at the federal level. Even expanding some of the protections NY and CA afford boxers would be nice, even if those are easily avoided by just going to another state.

Fair enough. My main concern with going the stricter regulation route is that it will likely cause the ufc to become more like boxing where the best rarely fight the best and the fans are the ones who suffer. UFC has the most fan friendly model out there, just wish they’d cut the fighters a bigger piece of the pie.

Fair enough. My main concern with going the stricter regulation route is that it will likely cause the ufc to become more like boxing where the best rarely fight the best and the fans are the ones who suffer. UFC has the most fan friendly model out there, just wish they’d cut the fighters a bigger piece of the pie.
Yeah, unfortunately, it's hard to balance those two interests. I will point out though, the issues with boxing is more with promoters, not the boxers. Plenty of boxers want to fight the best, but their promoters don't' want to copromote or fetishize undefeated records. I also don't think the Ali Act in mma would lead to all the bad outcomes that people attribute to boxing.

Which is why I said he thinks he got released for it. That's his complaint not mine. He won 4 straight, lost to Islam, than got robbed against Khabilov. Most UFC fighters who aren't pissing off management probably get resigned at that point.

Unfortunately, a union is probably the best bet of getting health benefits at the end of the day to deal with the tsunami of CTE that is coming. But it probably never happens.

Not to be nosy, but I'm curious since you're one of the few ex-UFC fighters on sherdog. If you had qualified for the class action lawsuit, would you opt out or stick with it and see how the legal proceedings turn out?
I coach a couple of current UFC fighters and am more interested in how they are being treated and promoted now then how i was 15 years ago. My guys right now are being treated good. If they were not and they wanted to join in any type of movement or such I would support them %1000.

I coach a couple of current UFC fighters and am more interested in how they are being treated and promoted now then how i was 15 years ago. My guys right now are being treated good. If they were not and they wanted to join in any type of movement or such I would support them %1000.
Glad your guys feel they are being treated well, and hopefully that feeling continues when they're done with the sport. I'm a cynic, so I think a lot of fighters, for better or worse, don't really realize their situation until it's too late for them to change it.

Bunch of crybabies. Literally the ufc is the reason any1 even knows who they are. None of them were ever a draw or have any following what so ever. You dont earn the big bucks without bringing in the big bucks (ticket sales, ppv buys, views etc). I find it funny this group of people couldnt sell out a arena giving out free tickets if they tried yet they cry about the ufc not paying a fortune.
Ufc pays their fighters 17% of company profit. Other pro sports leagues lag 50%. None of your garbage post has any relevancy. The fighters make ufc their money, and the ufc doesn’t pay their fighters fairly.

Glad your guys feel they are being treated well, and hopefully that feeling continues when they're done with the sport. I'm a cynic, so I think a lot of fighters, for better or worse, don't really realize their situation until it's too late for them to change it.
Iv been there so I am definitely aware of what should be being done. Right now things are good and getting better. A lot has changed from how it used to be. I feel llike they will keep going in that direction. If i felt like they were being taken care of by the company that they are bleeding for I would speak up.

I'll just grab the popcorn. It's up to them to find a way to make things fair. What they get paid doesn't matter to me, but I sure as hell won't dog them for pulling out of fights or the contract disputes because I'm well aware their situation and contracts are completely one sided and fudged. Let them figure this out, and I hope that they do. The day they come to my job and start picketing for a better living for my family is the day I'll give a shit about theirs.

Reactions: lsa
Iv been there so I am definitely aware of what should be being done. Right now things are good and getting better. A lot has changed from how it used to be. I feel llike they will keep going in that direction. If i felt like they were being taken care of by the company that they are bleeding for I would speak up.
So from your spot in the industry, things got better with WME after the end of the Zuffa era? That's interesting.

22d9689453caf1cd8e4da60495038966.gif

Good luck, they gonna need it
EA61372C-F189-4F1A-BC06-F8F8007D68C4.jpeg

One of my strange joy on Sherdog lately has been to read through any thread on this lawsuit to see the very confident takes of a bunch of people that obvious don't know anything about what the case is about.

Reactions: lsa
Obvious attempt to suck some money out of a company they are no longer good enough to compete for, dime a dozen fighters don't have a hope in hell with this type of lawsuit. It would take multiple headliners to even have a shot at winning a legal battle like this, undercard scrubs have no way of objectively determining their ability to draw revenue where headliners do.

Back