International Ex-Marine buys a used harrier jump jet for 180,000 from British Government

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score

This guy saw a huge opportunity and jumped on it and got himself a huge break but it will costs a fortune to maintain as well as making sure it stays flying. He points out how the Harrier was the most popular plane at many airshows likely because people are familiar with its history as well as seeing it in films like True-Lies. 180,000 dollars this is an amazing deal for planes that would costs normally a few million.

Can we get an “WHOA ‘MERICA” on 3?

giphy.gif

I had the pleasure of meeting him over a decade ago. I saw his single seat Harrier here in Southern Maryland and someone filled me in as to who he was and the fact that he owned the bird.

Interesting guy to talk to. He's a go-getter to say the least.

Last edited:
why do marines have pilots if we already have navy pilots I wonder what is the difference and then you have air force pilots.

Not far from me is a WWII museum owned by some guy with tons of money who likes old toys. You will see him flying around in his Hellcat or his B-25 every week almost in the summer, it's awesome. He buzzes towns and gives people a show for kicks.

They’re expensive to fly and maintain, but airshows are big business.

I recall making a thread back in 2015 when the British Ministry of Defense start slashing their budget and put all kind of military assets on the auction blocks.

It was pretty insane, anything from "surplus" (ie no budget for maintenance) planes to tanks to boats were put up for sale, after the weapon components are removed. South American amd Eastern European governments snapped up a bunch of heavy duty at basement prices (including some warships), but some private collectors really grew their planes/tanks collection as well.

Not far from me is a WWII museum owned by some guy with tons of money who likes old toys. You will see him flying around in his Hellcat or his B-25 every week almost in the summer, it's awesome. He buzzes towns and gives people a show for kicks.
I think Arnold S. Owns a few WWII to Vietnam tanks or a close friend of his. He done a couple fund raising events to give people an opportunity to fire tanks with him.

why do marines have pilots if we already have navy pilots I wonder what is the difference and then you have air force pilots.

You need organic elements if you an expeditionary force.

As I understand it, Navy’s primary responsibility is anti ship / naval or naval defence.
The marine pilot's responsibility is shore / littoral attack and marine invasion support.
Airforce pilots are the traditional overland shit we’re all familiar with.

And there can be overlapping responsibilities with each other.

I was an Airframes/hydraulics mech on the AV8B-Harrier. They are really cool to watch on flightlines, especially on boats.

Fun fact, the Harriers in True Lies were from my unit. We had a signed movie poster from the cast in our coffee room.

I think Arnold S. Owns a few WWII to Vietnam tanks or a close friend of his. He done a couple fund raising events to give people an opportunity to fire tanks with him.
Fire a tank with Arnold. Testosterone level will never be below 500 again.

Reactions: PEB
I know exactly how he feels as I just bought a 2018 Subaru Forester

I can imagine he is soon to be a divorced ex-marine harrier jet owner. At least I've read bits in the past pointing out that guys that buy old military machinery such as tanks find themselves divorced. Wouldn't be surprised if this carries over to British fighter jets.

Back