Ex cops take on why Herman was wrong on almost all accounts

Ok, I definitely agree that Herman came off as a total goof in this whole thing, this "3 pieces of ID" thing is total BS, but do you guys really not have a problem with Herman being hit with felony charges over this? Battery?

They over charged and most of it will be thrown out. Their supervisor may say something to them but I have no sympathy for him or her.

stop-im-one-of-you-pig.jpg

Ok, I definitely agree that Herman came off as a total goof in this whole thing, this "3 pieces of ID" thing is total BS, but do you guys really not have a problem with Herman being hit with felony charges over this? Battery?

I don't know the legal definition of battery. He should, at the very least, be faced with resisting arrest.

They over charged and most of it will be thrown out. Their supervisor may say something to them but I have no sympathy for him or her.

But only because of the video right? If the wife didn't record it, it wouldn't be considered "overcharging" and they wouldn't be throwing out shit. The interaction wasn't recorded by them because neither of the officer's cameras were on at the time.

That seriously doesn't bother any of you guys?

Thats fair. Instead of hating the cops...how about hate the reality of them having to be dicks sometimes because people often act like jackasses.

As an ex cop I'll never hate cops. I despise a few of the bad apples.

But I do hate that some realities of society lends itself to making cops into acting like dicks sometimes. And I hate some of the stuff cops have to do and wish cops were more empowered to say no to stupid orders. Like enforcement of weed...which should be 100% legal. No pothead ever assaulted me on duty. Alcohol way worse.

I freely admit I was a dick some days. Just mounting of all.the stress. Never corrupt. But I did have times I wish I was a little less blunt with people. Or I was very controlling over a situation because it looked bad...but turned out not to be. I felt bad...but didnt have much choice other than risk my own safety.

Just sucks. Wish all people...cops included...could calm down and just all be more civil. Like jiujitsu. ...relax haha!!

But sadly thats not reality.

This is well said and it's unfortunate that the people who "hate cops" wouldn't take the time to read past "i'm an ex-cop"
Cops have a really hard job, and they take orders from bosses. They also are just men and women who are at work and want to go home at the end of the day.
This guy is right, some are assholes, but how many workplaces are asshole-free?

Isn't "battery" in the US just any physical contact?
It's the neglect of a dependent charge which puzzles me.

But only because of the video right? If the wife didn't record it, it wouldn't be considered "overcharging" and they wouldn't be throwing out shit. The interaction wasn't recorded by them because neither of the officer's cameras were on at the time.

That seriously doesn't bother any of you guys?

The battery comes with the restistanting and is most likely not even a felony and would be reduced or dismissed even without the video.

Neglect was because the cops felt his actions before he stoped endangered the child but his actions didn't rise to a child endangerment charge.

Neglect is probably based upon the fact he sped down a dark road with his lights off creating a substantial risk of injury to the dependents.

Neglect was because the cops felt his actions before he stoped endangered the child but his actions didn't rise to a child endangerment charge.

Neglect is probably based upon the fact he sped down a dark road with his lights off creating a substantial risk of injury to the dependents.

Yeah right. So he'd have to argue why he considered it safer to continue driving without lights rather than pulling over and phoning/flagging down assistance?

Herman's humour and weigh in stunts just blend into the general promotional whackery of the UFC, but I wonder if he always acts like a muppet?

You are incorrect if you think cops arent mistreating people everyday. I grew up in a bad neighborhood and the unfortunate reality is you are treated like a criminal even if youre not. Everyday.
Just recently a cop went off the deep end murdering other cops because he thought it was the only way to bring light to the corruption and even that didnt work. If you think people arent getting beat, shot, tased or jus plain mistreated by cops everyday then you must have your head in the sand.

If you think that there's a better solution to the shit stains that commit crimes in these bad neighbourhoods then let's hear it.
Nobody said there aren't cops abusing power, you're just using this thread to say (in so many words) that most cops abuse their power.
I've dealt with more cops than you have likely and there are plenty of assholes; There are many more that are just people like you and i with jobs who want to go home at the end of the day.

Yeah right. So he'd have to argue why he considered it safer to continue driving without lights rather than pulling over and phoning/flagging down assistance?

Herman's humour and weigh in stunts just blend into the general promotional whackery of the UFC, but I wonder if he always acts like a muppet?

Clearly, 2 of us cops are on the same page....

There is an extreme problem with police brutality in America at the moment. This is a fact. I don't believe any other country is having the problems that we are having with police.

That is a fact.
When that's stated as a sentence, i can almost guarantee what preceded it was NOT.
There are tons of problems with police brutality, i've seen it, you've seen it, all it takes is one person to hit record on their phone.
What people NEVER know, is what set it off. People aren't watching usually until after the arrest is taking place, so you see millions of videos everywhere of police/security arresting someone and a group of onlookers that cry brutality and excessive force.
So this "problem" with police brutality is a real subjective figure to list. According to whom is it brutality? According to what legally-educated witness was it excessive force?
Reliable and legally educated witnesses are unicorns for police.

Only cops use that line of reasoning. No one else. Only cops.

Psych doctors don't, even though they deal with dangerous people every day. Teachers don't even though they often find themselves dealing with dangerous people. Pastors and social workers and volunteers at the soup kitchen don't, even though they find themselves working with dangerous people. Only cops.

And even putting dangerous people aside, a lot of people have more dangerous jobs than cops.

A fisherman is far more likely to end up dead during a shift than a cop is.

But fishermen don't panic and act all scared shitless and go into emergency mode and drop the life-rafts and fire off the flare and call out an S.O.S. and abandon ship every time the wind comes up or they get hit with a big wave because "Hey, the sea is unpredictable and we wanna make it home to our families alive."

Only cops do that.

That being said, they didn't shoot him... or his dog. Which is a feel good twist, I suppose.

Your point is stupid. Plus, corrections officers, border services officers, security officers all use that logic. You're a moron if you can't understand the importance of going home alive at the end of your work day.

The whole commercial fishing argument is such garbage. It's a matter of accidental deaths vs violent murders.

yes

Oh, and It's not a psych doc, or teacher's, soup kitchen staff, or pastor's job to arrest, fight, or try to control the dangerous people. That's why they call the cops. The bad guys don't go after the other positions mentioned, not do those jobs require direct conflict with the truly dangerous persons. The police have been placed in an adversarial role with the worst in society, and they are the buffer that will deal with these people when there is a problem. Internet tough guys that say they don't need the police sure as fuck never do anything. They don't respond to shootings, robberies, active shootings-they call the cops like everyone else.

aaaand this.

It is always refreshing to hear that amidst a sea of disparaging comments from detractors who form their opinions from youtube videos,

Couldn't resist (short and sweet, like a good beat down)... :icon_chee

The whole commercial fishing argument is such garbage. It's a matter of accidental deaths vs violent murders. Almost three quarters of the deaths from commercial fishing are from vessel disasters, meaning the entire crew is lost. The next highest category is usually falling overboard.

The numbers are relatively low, but so is the total number of persons in the commercial fishing industry-so every death weighs heavily on the stats that are used to determine the most dangerous jobs. There is an average of around 60 deaths per year with around 50k fisherman. They use the average per 100,000 to determine the number and for fishing, it is usually around 120 per 100k.

The number of police men killed every year is almost always over 100 in the last 15 years, and will range widely because of events like 9/11 or police officers being targeted. There are around 600k police officers in the US. That number also depends on whether armed security or auxiliary police are counted.

So the rate for fishermen dying is high, but the manner in which they die is vastly different. Both sides die either way, but the ocean and weather are not actively trying to kill fishermen. There is no fucking marlin leaping out of the water trying to skewer the fisherman.

The police face that prospect with greater frequency as of late. Fishing deaths are also accidental. Most police deaths(non accident) are murder. Big difference.

And Herman getting out of the car, acting like a sovereign citizen after what was assumed at that point to have been a pursuit. He was speeding with no lights-with his wife and kid in the car. Yet, we are supposed to believe he drove three miles because he was concerned for their safety. Had he stayed in the car and not tried to act like such a goof, he would have been fine. He could have pulled his bogus three id trick and he still would have been fine. But he did it out of the car, before giving any reason as to why he felt he did not need to stop.

Oh, and It's not a psych doc, or teacher's, soup kitchen staff, or pastor's job to arrest, fight, or try to control the dangerous people. That's why they call the cops. The bad guys don't go after the other positions mentioned, not do those jobs require direct conflict with the truly dangerous persons. The police have been placed in an adversarial role with the worst in society, and they are the buffer that will deal with these people when there is a problem. Internet tough guys that say they don't need the police sure as fuck never do anything. They don't respond to shootings, robberies, active shootings-they call the cops like everyone else.

wtf is going on in this thread?!?!? look asshole don't you know that those cops were racist?!?! what's wrong with you anyway? bringing common sense, and reality based facts into the warroom BOOOO,BOO this man!!! and harken the 1st horse of the apocalypse! for it is written "when a warroom sherdogger appears with common sense" "you'll know that the end is upon us". seriously though, great post dude.

Back