1. Monday Downtime - All Evolve Media Sites will be undergoing maintenance Monday March 30. This will occur during a window of 7 PM (Pacific Time) to Tuesday afternoon. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Ex cops take on why Herman was wrong on almost all accounts

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by BrainBar2014, Jan 23, 2015.

1. BrainBar2014

BrainBar2014 Yellow Belt

Hey guys. Ex cop of 10 years in Atlanta. Just my two cents from cops perspective.

- driving to a well lit area is OK. Just be EXTRA compliant when you do stop because most people dont do that. Best case...call 911 while driving. The dispatcher can confirm that their cop is stopping you and tell the cop what you are doing.

- Cops are required to identify themselves. Uniform and badge are part of that. However...they are NOT required to let you get close to them to see their ID card. Thats close enough to grab them. And they dont know you....who knows...you may be a pro MMA fighter right?

- If like his wife you demand MORE ID than a badge and uniform and marked car....think about this: how hard is it to make a fake ID card? Any college kid with a printer can. Fake badges and uniforms and cars..much harder. So Hermans ID rant is kinda silly.

- Getting out of the car isnt illegal. Many older people do this. Some see it as respectful. However...cops consider "Totality of circumstances". Not stopping for 3 miles combined with a very big and athletic looking guy exiting the car...and using a tactic common with the Sovereign Citizen movement of demanding ID to challenge authority (who have murdered many cops lately)....all together puts the cops on high alert.

Herman wasnt doing anything that wrong. But...his actions put cops on high alert even if he didnt realize it. I doubt Herman had any intent to harm them at all. But they had no idea why he was acting that way or who he was. And in fact...if he wanted to be...he would be an extremely dangerous man because of his abilities alone much less his raw size. Thats why they werent letting him get close to him.

Did they charge him with some stuff that was maybe a bit more than he deserved? Maybe. Im not familiar with Indiana law or how the statute reads. But I typically dont like heightened charges for someone who wasnt doing a serious crime to begin with...which it appears Herman wasnt.

But that said...be smart. Cops arent playing around with their own safety and they have NO CLUE who you are or what you are doing or planning to do.

2. Chramelated

Chramelated The Real Guy, The Best Guy Banned

How many nudes did you get in your career?

3. #handsupdontshoot

4. lifelessheap

lifelessheap Gold Belt

If he just stays in the car and explains himself he would have been fine.

5. j98

j98 Brown Belt

He got 3 felonies for driving to a gas station and asking for some ID.

6. Timetravel_0

Timetravel_0 Brown Belt

He got off lightly, he's lucky he didn't get shot.

7. Wrathsoul

Wrathsoul Purple Belt

SOP to have your personal and dash cam off?

8. Del1

Del1 Guest

Thanks, that's a good perspective.
    Everyone's quick to backseat quarterback when they weren't there, and everyone who sees an arrest happening didn't see the start of it.
    I like to give an opinion on things when I know what happened, which, like many other cases of arrests with complaints attached, may never happen.

9. ~TheSickness~

~TheSickness~ Blue Belt

This is what's wrong with the world. He didn't get anything for driving to a gas station and asking for ID. He got it for not being compliant and probably fighting the cop

10. UL

UL no more yellows Double Yellow Card

americans...

11. Grimm911

Grimm911 Shazbot!

Makes a lot of sense. He handled the situation poorly. But so did the cops.. itchy trigger fingers (on tasers)

12. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

Just like Micheal Brown got shot for jaywalking right?

13. Fistahcuffs

Fistahcuffs White Belt

I hate cops . most of them anyways . can't argue with a thing this dude says though .

14. BrainBar2014

BrainBar2014 Yellow Belt

Thats fair. Instead of hating the cops...how about hate the reality of them having to be dicks sometimes because people often act like jackasses.

As an ex cop I'll never hate cops. I despise a few of the bad apples.

But I do hate that some realities of society lends itself to making cops into acting like dicks sometimes. And I hate some of the stuff cops have to do and wish cops were more empowered to say no to stupid orders. Like enforcement of weed...which should be 100% legal. No pothead ever assaulted me on duty. Alcohol way worse.

I freely admit I was a dick some days. Just mounting of all.the stress. Never corrupt. But I did have times I wish I was a little less blunt with people. Or I was very controlling over a situation because it looked bad...but turned out not to be. I felt bad...but didnt have much choice other than risk my own safety.

Just sucks. Wish all people...cops included...could calm down and just all be more civil. Like jiujitsu. ...relax haha!!

But sadly thats not reality.

15. WrestlinganJudo

WrestlinganJudo Banned Banned

Good post. Thanks.

16. riitzni

riitzni Silver Belt

Toluca Prison, hanging with the convicts and carvi
    Anyone with half a brain and the ability to see something from both POVs can see where Herman fucked up.

Unfortunately that rules out, oh, 90% of Sherdog.

17. timeofmylife

timeofmylife White Belt

Don't want to argue with anything but just an observation - when I was a kid we were told that to be forced on your knees is humiliating, that this is an act of defeat, that men stand tall. "Noone can bring us on our knees" is still a popular expression in many cultures.

Yet, any cop stops you for no reason, tells you to get on your knees in front of your wife and child, tasers you if you fail to comply (or worse, asked for ID). And then you face 3 charges.

I mean I understand there are reason for this, don't get me wrong, just it probably does tell something about society we live in.

18. psychodad

psychodad Brown Belt

Well he got shot by a taser. On top of those 3 felonies.

And they wonder why people are scared of cops.

I understand that if a guy is actively walking your way and refuses to stop, you have to stop them. But Herman was not doing that, he stopped by the side of his car and requested ID from distance. They refused and zapped him instead.

19. psychodad

psychodad Brown Belt

I must be missing some news because I have not heard of these guys, or their murders.

Can you elaborate?

20. Fistahcuffs

Fistahcuffs White Belt

Yes ! Clam the fuck down and be civil ! As a former "rent a cop" I worked with actual po's and I had the displeasure of working with all of the "bad apples" . so ... That's why I say I hate most cops . there are good ones out there though ...