Ewa Beach HI??

Brent Schermerhorn

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Can someone from HI help me out a little? I'm thinkin of moving there and that's where i'd be going. I'm into MMA already and would like to continue training so with that, what gyms are near EWA and how far are the big gyms like Icon and 808?? Thanx

Hahah, alright, Icon is allll the way in Aina Haina which is very far from Ewa, probably 45 minutes. The best BJJ place on the Island is where i go, Brazilian Freestyle Jiu Jitsu at UH Manoa, but thats also far from Ewa.

There are some places in like Kaneohe and Kailua that might be closer but for the best places imo you should go in town.

If someone knows where this thread should be located please send it there. Wasnt sure where to post this question

Can someone from HI help me out a little? I'm thinkin of moving there and that's where i'd be going. I'm into MMA already and would like to continue training so with that, what gyms are near EWA and how far are the big gyms like Icon and 808?? Thanx

Ewa Beach is in the middle on no where. Literally. Its on a coastline far, far, far, from Icon. Almost complete opposite in fact. ICON is solid but like I said its far, far, far, far from your location. Traffic in your new are of EWA is absolutely terrible. You going be in traffic more than in training if you thinking of ICON.

As far as other MMA gyms, you got two or three closer with 808, Jesus is Lord and Westsider MMA. 808 and Jesus is Lord are in Waipahu which is like 15 minutes from Ewa, very, very, very close. Falaniko Vitale, Ron Jhun train there, Westsiders in new but they got some tough guys. Lot of guys have good striking in these gyms since most boxed or street fight since they are from poorer side of the islands. Ground game is improving and the transition from boxer/streetfighter to full mma schools has come along into its own style.

Other informational sites you might want to consider is run by Relson Gracie Black Belt Mike Onzuka and his brother Chris Onzuka. Welcome to Onzuka.com Pretty much anything happening in Hawaii these guys got it on their website.

Good luck.

Ewa Beach is in the middle on no where. Literally. Its on a coastline far, far, far, from Icon. Almost complete opposite in fact. ICON is solid but like I said its far, far, far, far from your location. Traffic in your new are of EWA is absolutely terrible. You going be in traffic more than in training if you thinking of ICON.

As far as other MMA gyms, you got two or three closer with 808, Jesus is Lord and Westsider MMA. 808 and Jesus is Lord are in Waipahu which is like 15 minutes from Ewa, very, very, very close. Falaniko Vitale, Ron Jhun train there, Westsiders in new but they got some tough guys. Lot of guys have good striking in these gyms since most boxed or street fight since they are from poorer side of the islands. Ground game is improving and the transition from boxer/streetfighter to full mma schools has come along into its own style.

Other informational sites you might want to consider is run by Relson Gracie Black Belt Mike Onzuka and his brother Chris Onzuka. Welcome to Onzuka.com Pretty much anything happening in Hawaii these guys got it on their website.

Good luck.

Thank YOU!!!

So from Ewa to town is about 45mins??

During rush hour? It'll be even longer than that. I graduated from Campbell, and was on their wrestling and judo team (as far as I know Hawaii is the only state in the nation that has judo as a HS sport).

You could also PM Ron Jhun who post on sherdog and ask to visit his school when you arrive. I know he is hurting from his last fight but probably welcome a new person to his school.

Ron Jhun got banned...

Good luck.
Well said, I forgot about Jesus is Lord and the Waipahu gyms.

Brazilian Freestyle is the best place for BJJ in the state though :icon_chee.

Its at University of Hawaii at Manoa up in one of the studios. Great gi class, no-gi classes arent really offered though.

Where is Brazilian Free @??

its located inside one the university of hawaii's gym areas. and he is helping out his academy by saying its the best on the island. the 'problem' with oahu is there are sooo many unreal grappling schools run by black belts in such a small area. last time i checked, there was a 'brazilian freestyle' academy in waipahu which is 5-10 minutes up the road from ewa. if you have any more questions, feel free to post them. both jjmuaythaiguy and myself train at the relson gracie main academy in honolulu.

its located inside one the university of hawaii's gym areas. and he is helping out his academy by saying its the best on the island. the 'problem' with oahu is there are sooo many unreal grappling schools run by black belts in such a small area. last time i checked, there was a 'brazilian freestyle' academy in waipahu which is 5-10 minutes up the road from ewa. if you have any more questions, feel free to post them. both jjmuaythaiguy and myself train at the relson gracie main academy in honolulu.

You guys have been a huge help already!! I'm pretty good for now..im more into MMA so for that reason i've only done No-gi...i have mad respect for the Gi guys though and thinking of maybe picking up a Gi while im here in Japan just to knock off some of the "get choked out 9billion times your first few months" since i'll most likely want to participate in Gi stuff there in HI.
Do you and JJmuaythai compete?

You guys have been a huge help already!! I'm pretty good for now..im more into MMA so for that reason i've only done No-gi...i have mad respect for the Gi guys though and thinking of maybe picking up a Gi while im here in Japan just to knock off some of the "get choked out 9billion times your first few months" since i'll most likely want to participate in Gi stuff there in HI.
Do you and JJmuaythai compete?

Ghostdog has competed more recently than me, but we both compete and are on the Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Academy's Competition Team. GD has tricky, lull you into thinking everything is okay before you tap techniques. I'm bigger and go straight for the submission, no trickiness technique style. Both of us are purple belt under Relson and rep that belt and our school well. I also training in judo to help my jiu jitsu game. I also used to teach muay thai and trained under Master Kham, now studying for my lsat and I just don't have the hours in the day, to train anything other than jiu jitsu and judo.

If you want strickly mma, 808, Jesus is Lord or Westsiders will take care of your mma needs no doubt. If you are in Japan and IF gis are cheap there you might as well get one since you probably will want to try gi stuff one day and shipping to Hawaii these days are ridiculous. A gallon of gas in Hawaii is $4.40 a gallon, diseil is $5.30. Another reason you don't want to be driving to ICON. My Honda CRV costs $49 to fill up when almost empty. DAMN!

just curious by why are you moving to ewa? do you have a place and a job already lined up out there? if not, the whole ewa to town commute is a bitch and a half, and i would highly recommend you think of other living situations if thats the case.

Ghostdog has competed more recently than me, but we both compete and are on the Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Academy's Competition Team. GD has tricky, lull you into thinking everything is okay before you tap techniques. I'm bigger and go straight for the submission, no trickiness technique style. Both of us are purple belt under Relson and rep that belt and our school well. I also training in judo to help my jiu jitsu game. I also used to teach muay thai and trained under Master Kham, now studying for my lsat and I just don't have the hours in the day, to train anything other than jiu jitsu and judo.

If you want strickly mma, 808, Jesus is Lord or Westsiders will take care of your mma needs no doubt. If you are in Japan and IF gis are cheap there you might as well get one since you probably will want to try gi stuff one day and shipping to Hawaii these days are ridiculous. A gallon of gas in Hawaii is $4.40 a gallon, diseil is $5.30. Another reason you don't want to be driving to ICON. My Honda CRV costs $49 to fill up when almost empty. DAMN!

Thanx man you guys have been a huge help. Well IF go there to HI it wont be until the end of the year. I actually have my first pro fight here but it's not really like an official pro outing because it's with a smaller Org but a pro fight none the less so i'm heading in the right direction at least.
Ive been reading up about all three places that you mentioned (808 etc..) they all seem like good camps/schools that are churning out some monsters so i'm sure they will be more than enough equipped to beat me down and keep me improving my game which is exactly what im looking for.
Now here in Japan i belong to a shooto gym but i'd say i'm still pretty green. My standup is decent (i guess) and although i have a lot of room for imporovement there i think my biggest hole in my game is my ground. So yeah, HI, is perfect. I tihnk i will grab a gi I as was already checking them out in Ismai store anyhow and my school does Gi days too but usually the MMA guys just do the sparring and drill w/o a gi.

just curious by why are you moving to ewa? do you have a place and a job already lined up out there? if not, the whole ewa to town commute is a bitch and a half, and i would highly recommend you think of other living situations if thats the case.

Aiight i might as well tell, im military so yeah it's a job that would bring me there. Just a J..O..B though, id much rather call myself just a fighter ;)
I know what you're talking about being away from downtown (or id heard) which is why i actually started the thread. I have to leave here from Japan at the end of the year and they asked me i wanted to go to Ewa Beach. Since im pretty into the fighting thing my main concern was are there gyms close enough to let me train 6days a week LOL
At first i wasnt really too thrilled but when i found out about the 3gyms being 15minutes away i was pretty happy actually. Honeslty id rather live outside the city but still be farely close for when i feel like going. Like now i live about 45minutes from tokyo by train and longer IF were to think about driving it instead of train. That ok with me BUT i need MY (mma gym) to be closer than that LOL
Thanx for the help again to the BOTH of ya. I'm sure that when/if i end up in HI our paths might cross sometime. Sounds like both of you could take turns wooping my ass on the ground but im all for the experience ;)

:icon_chee Yeah, there really are alot of good places. We just happen to do the best at tournaments and stuff. lol jk. Yeah there are two schools, the one in Waipahu as well that goes Tuesdays and Thursdays. Dont really know anyone who goes there though.

Who instructs the the Relson Gracie Academy?

Do all you guys get along even though you belong to different gyms??
I should say...like are the different gyms there always rivals or pretty respectful? I haven't been in US in a few years since the sport really took off but in Japan everyone is really respectful im wondering if all the is about to change LOL
How about cross training? Do guys from different gyms train with each other, you know maybe not weekly but once in a while go to different gym as a guest and get some work in, trade advice, tips etc..??

Back