Every time Yan took down Sterling

I hope Yan fights winner of Sandhagen/TJ for the interim title. Looks like Sterling will be out for a while.

Yeah true. On the other hand i dont see sombody like Usman getting hip thrown over and over again, because he would prepare for this and its not that hard to pick up coming from a wrestling background. Thats why i believe its more individual fighters ignorance and the relative absence of such techniques in the UFC.
In my gym you have fighters specifically preparing for Judo techniques when they know they will face a fighter from Russia, Chechnya, Armenia etc. but for some reason US gyms believe spamming double legs enough as a teenager makes you immune against techniques that are designed to counter superior wrestlers (the the sense the term is used as in the USA)

I'm trying to find something in Usman's wrestling pedigree that may have given him better preparation against a variety of different wrestlers. My guess is if you make it to the olympic tryouts you're quite a step above the average high school wrestler (As you said, spamming double legs and scrambling single finishes don't necessarily make you a good wrestler once you meet someone your level). Honestly it may just be Usman is literally a better athlete (which also explains why he's the champion of course). In the current generation of MMA none of the current champions at the top of the UFC weight divisions are anything less than stellar athletes.

That wasn't the case quite a few years ago (Think Forrest Griffin era, huge fan but the man won on heart/decent BJJ more than skill imo).

I don't know much about his current trainer/gym but I imagine they're top level if he's able to display such dominance against very competent grapplers.

That's a really good point too; with the various different ways to win a fight a skillset that is new/not as common is certainly harder to defeat. MMA training is intensely interesting to me; I always wonder how do guys decide what to work on, what to train, etc. The toolbox is larger than in any other combat sport. Any tool in that box gets rusty or isn't the same quality as the other guy and suddenly you have a gaping hole that can break down your entire game plan.

Your gym sounds amazing my friend. I do think you have a point there; whenever I catch part of the MMA classes at my gym, its seems to be a lot more double legs with occasional single finishes. I'm not sure if that's due to mat space, style of the instructor, etc. But I don't see many clinch take-downs, body lock counters, etc. Their wall-work has a bit more of it

If Aljo was white no one would be crying about a NC instead of a DQ

Yeah, that's it. Nothing to do with the warrior spirit we spend every day praising in these parts. Nothing to do with disliking the no knees to grounded fighters rule which is complained about constantly. No. It's racism.

It's such a stupid, narrow-minded, Manichaean way to view the world. Try to grow as a human being.

Yan whooped that ass. Aljo is a clown.

Reactions: HHJ
It wasn't unanimous among the 3 official judges and you are certain I am the only dissenter from the majority. What a dumb thing to say.

I don't, nor did I, dispute any of this.

I have ZERO concern if the flock is following me.

Nothing to worry about in that regard. It usually helps if you make valid points on here to actually garner anything resembling support.

Frankly I expect you have an understanding of the judging process. Given 2 of the 3 judges had Yan ahead on the scorecards, under the unified scoring rules the UFC uses that would have had him ahead on the scorecards. Why you consider this "dumb" is a bit comical. It's simply a fact.

So much for 'khabibing' Yan right ?

Rematch should be forced ASAP by UFC its not fair that a mistake could cause you to lose your title and he's ducking rematch

Yeah, that's it. Nothing to do with the warrior spirit we spend every day praising in these parts.

Ok so let's say you have 1 hour for a very important exam but you was late and you only have 30 minutes to finish your work.

Would you take the risk to continue or wait another day to pass your exam (if possible) ?

Sterling was in the situation where he chose to pick another day and you can't blame him... why would he take the risk to continue after being diminished by such a hard knee on his head ?

Sterling hurt Yan early with front kicks to the midsection. He should've made the adjustment to a front kick heavy game from there on out, with varying power to keep Yan confused.

Instead he only used it occasionally afterwards, and Yan was able to recover and take over until the knee.

Nothing to worry about in that regard. It usually helps if you make valid points on here to actually garner anything resembling support.

Frankly I expect you have an understanding of the judging process. Given 2 of the 3 judges had Yan ahead on the scorecards, under the unified scoring rules the UFC uses that would have had him ahead on the scorecards. Why you consider this "dumb" is a bit comical. It's simply a fact.

Moving the goalpost Sherbro. You specifically said I was in a minority which totaled 2 people; Me and "that Judge". That statement was yours, and it was dumb. I hope you receive all the support you need today on a message board to get you thru. Cheers!

Ok so let's say you have 1 hour for a very important exam but you was late and you only have 30 minutes to finish your work.

Would you take the risk to continue or wait another day to pass your exam (if possible) ?

Sterling was in the situation where he chose to pick another day and you can't blame him... why would he take the risk to continue after being diminished by such a hard knee on his head ?

I got no beef with Aljo Sterling. I'm not trying to relitigate all that. I'm just pointing out that it is stupid, narrow-minded, and Manichaean to think people are upset with the situation because Aljo is black.

I want all the flyweights and bantamweights to eat enough to make 145 so they can scrap the divisions...

but that won't happen either.

Why don't they just make a 130 division and combine em or round off every division to the 10 like 130, 150, 170, etc that'd be better

Moving the goalpost Sherbro. You specifically said I was in a minority which totaled 2 people; Me and "that Judge". That statement was yours, and it was dumb. I hope you receive all the support you need today on a message board to get you thru. Cheers!

Either you need a hug or you are just working hard to be annoying.

Why don't you start a poll here and ask if the members if they thought anyone here actually thought Sterling was winning up to that point?

That might be a more constructive use of your time rather than trying to argue semantics with me.

Why don't you start a poll here and ask if the members if they thought anyone here actually thought Sterling was winning up to that point?

Why don't you start a poll to see if more than "That Judge" and I had Sterling ahead. btw @JayPettryMMA scored both the first 2 rounds for Sterling. That means at least 3 people had Sterling ahead after 3. You can say "semantics" and move that line wherever you need to but your words were "You and that one judge are the only people that watched that fight and thought Sterling was ahead." That was Dumb. If you don't like my opinion I am fine with that.

Wonder if he's hit the mat with Khabib.
Either you need a hug or you are just working hard to be annoying.

That might be a more constructive use of your time rather than trying to argue semantics with me.
I think there would be a significant amount albeit a minority of people who had Sterling ahead at that point. But very few of THOSE people would say Sterling looked like he was on his way to a win. He basically went balls out and scored some rounds in a vacuum but the end result was no real damage and he had gassed himself out more than Yan.

The thing is Yan learns extremely fast and well. His fight IQ is miles ahead
that guy could be a pro at boxing, muah thai, grappling, wrestling. MMA is perfect for him because he can use all his skills
just the fact that he took it upon himself to go to Dagestan and train with those guys,shows his hunger to master the martial arts

Why don't you start a poll to see if more than "That Judge" and I had Sterling ahead. btw @JayPettryMMA scored both the first 2 rounds for Sterling. That means at least 3 people had Sterling ahead after 3. You can say "semantics" and move that line wherever you need to but your words were "You and that one judge are the only people that watched that fight and thought Sterling was ahead." That was Dumb. If you don't like my opinion I am fine with that.

lol bud.. seriously

How many hours did you spend combing the internet to find that one other special light in the universe that shared your opinion?

You know the point I was making as in "general consensus", "vast majority", "all the people without cataracts" etc. You are just trying to be literal here to make some kind of edgy "hipster" point.

Anyhow go find someone else to stalk, I'm trying to finish watching Nobody.

Regarding liking your opinion, why would I care? Misinformed to me doesn't generate an emotional response.

That composure is called SAMBO. You could definitely see Samboist signature in most of the non-boxing stints that he did: osoto-gari, ochi/ko-ochi-gari,etc

that shit is straight from Judo/Sambo playbook

Judo is absolutely dominant in clinch situations as long as you train for no-gi.

Reactions: HHJ
Back