Every time I diet and cut for a fight I gain more weight after my fight than before

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by heeme, Aug 26, 2015.

1. heeme

heeme White Belt

After a fight where you cut 15-20 pounds the first thing you want to do is eat. Last year before I ever cut weight the biggest I would get was 167. No matter how much food I ate that was my limit. After I had a very small cut for a fight my weight got up to 172 after the fight. My next fight I had a major cut and after my fight I started to weigh 175. I just had another fight last saturday at 155 and now I'm 178 here on wednesday and before my cut the biggest I would get was 175 and now Im 178 and sadly still gaining. Does the carb reduction and water load change something with the body cause the weight comes back on so easily but that isn't my problem. My problem is getting bigger than I was before the fight

2. Gulbirg

Gulbirg Yellow Belt

weight cutting is simple

eat less, work more

3. gspfedkobe24

gspfedkobe24 Black Belt

Move up to MW

4. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Are you gorging after the fight? I've had this issue as well.

I'm not sure of the science, but I am told that when you cut for a prolonged period of time, your metabolism slows down and adapts to breaking down that amount of calories.
    Since its somewhat 'weaker', when talking in surplus, it doesn't have the capability and doesn't work as its peak.

Cravings through the roof + slower metabolism = bad

Thats the theory I've been hearing. I tried reverse dieting since my last fight and its been working well.

Of course, it could be that you're taking in 8-10k every other day which is why you're gaining weight rapidly.

5. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Partially this, but also add in if he eliminated carbs during his cut and didn't keep them minimal and reintroduce them gradually after comp, the glycogen resynthesis will be high also and retain more water. Then, consider when many cut they do starve themselves, the body also wants to pack on fat for store energy reserves awaiting the next starve. Normally when i compete at 141 in the Gi, i cut from 148 to make 139.5, the next day after comp i'm usually 151 and i can be 5lbs heavier by next weekend if i'm not careful.

6. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

7. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

I've honestly had that same issue. I'll cut weight for a tournament, then gain more back afterwards.

8. Contempt

Contempt black belt in couch-fu

9. Contempt

The 1990's called, they want their advice back. Please shut up.

10. flikerstance

flikerstance floridaman

same thing happened to me when i turned pro i went to 170 full time and after my second fight at 170 after i put on a perminent 10 pounds it seemed like now im walking around around 220 230 when im not training at all my metabolism seemed to slow all the way down cause i reduced my carbs so much for a 2 month time period basically idk what to do to get it back to normal

11. Contempt

Got stuck in the old school "just eat less and exercise more" bullshit trap myself years ago. I finally had my metabolism tested and they made me come back the next day because they assumed their machine was broken. I would have had to go up by 15% to reach the point where "slow" began on the chart. I got tested again and it was higher... but barely.

They told me to go see a doctor because something was seriously wrong... fuck yeah it was, I was in my early 30's, existing on 1700 cal (am 6'1) while spending 6+ hours on the treadmill running per week and also doing weights all because I wanted the 6 pack I used to have up until my late 20's I was 14% body fat and just could not fucking drop any lower, rinse and repeat for a year plus fucking my metabolism right up.

I was living on stimulants because I could barely stand the rest of the time. I reverse dieted over about a year and am now happily living on 2750-3000cal a day with less than a quarter the time exercising I used to with a stationary weight at around 12% BF. I realised I didn't give a fuck enough to get any lower so I am just enjoying eating anything I want with a functional metabolism these days.

How did I fix the metabolism? Watch this:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  12. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

What is "reverse dieting?" Sounds like bro science.

13. RafailNadull

RafailNadull Brown Belt

As a panacea, it's bro science. As a way to go back to normal eating after harsh deficits and cuts, gradually increasing calories again instead of going on a binge right away, it's solid.

As for the OP, it would be interesting whether the exact same exercise and diet regime that previously maintained 157 now maintains 180, and that permanently. That would be quite something.

14. Contempt

No, it's not. Not even remotely.

If you watched the four videos that I have linked in this thread it would explain the issues created with traditional dieting, metabolic adaption and how to fix it.

I am living proof that the guy in the videos with the doctorate in nutritional science, who did his thesis on muscle protein synthesis is not remotely a "bro scientist" and knows what he's talking about.

15. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

A lot of bodybuilders reverse diet. It's a way of reintroducing a large amount of calories back into the diet over time, instead of a massive influx all at once.

Doctors used the same approach with concentration camp victims and POW's after WWII.

16. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

^ We also use it in people who have metabolic or insulin issues. You can reintroduce things slowly, allowing the body to learn how to use and tolerate extra macro's/calories etc. Works well also with people who nutrient partition poorly, or have things like colon cancer (which has many symptoms of nutrient partitioning issues). Even Layne Norton who didn't think certain conditions existed despite evidence (until he got to work with it directly in a lab) advocates for this method a lot in the necessary scenario.