Every time a fighter gets up and complains after a TKO, fans cry 'EARLY STOPPAGE'

I didn't need to see another 10-15 seconds of TJ eating unanswered shots to know he was done. Dillasalt can bitch about it, Dana can bitch about it, mongoloids like therassler can bitch about it, none of that was going to stop Henry when he was smashing TJ. TJ wasn't about to reverse, he wasn't bobbing and weaving, he wasn't mounting a comeback. He was getting blitzed and if you roll into a crystal ball Minority Report style, the odds are extremely high he was going to get TKO'd anyway.

Lots of what ifs but what is not a what if or speculation is that he was getting his ass handed to him.

That’s not a conclusion, but an observation. I saw:
He was never out
I wanted to see him take more punishment
He should have gone out on his shield
Etc.
I think you’re over analyzing a very simple situation. Some people don’t want the refs to stop a fight until a fighter is knocked out. Look at the comments. You even have a retard saying « he was never out ».

just because he said "he was never out", doesnt mean that person wants to see him ko'd. i wanted to see him take more punishment.. or, i wanted to see him continue, as he was still improving position. he should have gone out on his shield.. well, thats a wierdly subjective thing. u can make a case he did go out on his shield.. i guess it could mean until he's ko'd, but i dont think we can make that conclusion based on those things.

i think it was stopped a bit early. i dont need to see a ko. i need to see someone not improving position, trapped in a position where he is taking shots for a "sufficient amount of time", knocked out, unable to control his actions might be a good summary.

at the very least, i think we should all admit "one can see why one could call it an early stoppage" whether u think it was or wasnt.

I think you’re over analyzing a very simple situation. Some people don’t want the refs to stop a fight until a fighter is knocked out. Look at the comments. You even have a retard saying « he was never out ».

just because he said "he was never out", doesnt mean that person wants to see him ko'd. i wanted to see him take more punishment.. or, i wanted to see him continue, as he was still improving position. he should have gone out on his shield.. well, thats a wierdly subjective thing. u can make a case he did go out on his shield.. i guess it could mean until he's ko'd, but i dont think we can make that conclusion based on those things.

i think it was stopped a bit early. i dont need to see a ko. i need to see someone not improving position, trapped in a position where he is taking shots for a "sufficient amount of time", knocked out, unable to control his actions might be a good summary.

at the very least, i think we should all admit "one can see why one could call it an early stoppage" whether u think it was or wasnt.
I don’t totally disagree with your point of view about the stoppage. I would have liked to see more, but the ref had to make a decision. It happens fast. TJ wasn’t defending much. It’s a stoppage and I won’t cry like a teenager about it.

But you tried to put a positive spin on « I would have liked to see him take more punishment », chose to ignore the word SOME and act as if pointed a finger at everyone, use one of my phrases to be clever when you clearly didn’t understand. A real sherbro.

Last edited:
I guess most people don't really believe it was an early stoppage but just wish they could see Dillashaw get beat up a bit more.

Your second knockdown gif was actually the 3rd knockdown. He got knocked down with an uppercut the first time he tried to stand up and got put back down.
I must have missed that. Will have another look. If u have a gif, pls do share. Thanks

I don’t totally disagree with your point of view about the stoppage. I would have liked to see more, but the ref had to make a decision. It happens fast. TJ wasn’t defending much. It’s a stoppage and I won’t cry like a teenager about it.

But you tried to put a positive on « I would have liked to see him take more punishment », chose to ignore the word SOME and act as if pointed a finger at everyone, use one of my phrases to be clever when you clearly didn’t understand. A real sherbro.
Exactly. It all happens very fast. The ref has to make a quick decision on the spot: no replays, no hindsight, no pause button...

I think he did a good job here. He gave TJ a chance to get back into the fight... TJ tried to get up, and got knocked down worse than he did the first time.

Things weren't 'improving' for TJ, they were only getting worse.

Fair Stoppage.

If this was an early stoppage then that means half the fights in the UFC are early stoppage.

Fuckin Hernandez was going for a single leg when the ref stepped in but no one is calling early stoppage on that one. TS is right, if TJ didnt bitch no one would be calling early stoppage.

You have to take into consideration that TJ has a damn good chin while Henry has pillow hands. It might've looked like Henry was doing some moderate damage, but TJ clearly wasn't hurt. When you have a guy in the ring with no chin against a heavy hitter, yes you stop the fight early to save the guy, but in this case it's the opposite so you have to let it go until it is clear that the guy is out.

Had nothing to do with him getting up, was more about him still being in it and going for the single leg. He was hurt but not out of it.
How was he going for a single leg? He was literally sitting on his ass with his arm sliding slowly down Henry's leg without having any type of grip. Most awkward single leg attempt of all time, lol. It was more likely an auto piliot reaction from a guy who just got flash KOed and had the ref been standing there instead of Henry he would have done it to him instead as we've seen countless times before.

If TJ took 5 or 10 more shots and went LIMP, fans would be outraged and calling it a late stoppage
Exactly.

It's tough being a ref. It's easy to stop the fight too early or too late, but stopping it at just the right time is very difficult.

You're talking about a 1-2 second window for a "good" stoppage.

TJ started scrambling when the ref was halfway between him and Henry. I use the term scrambling loosely here because it was more flopping around hoping to grab anything.

He was done. It was a great stoppage. Another shot and he is out and they are spending 10 minutes to get him awake properly.

People claiming early stoppage seem to look at the final moment in a vacuum and disregard the entire sequence leading up to it. If only the final knockdown had happened, perhaps you could argue it was a bit early, but when you take in the context of what happened just prior including him face planting, eating about 20 undefended strikes, and getting knocked down again and landing with his legs folded underneath him and his arms at his sides, it’s a good stoppage.

If Dillashaw/Garbrandt 2 was a justified stoppage then so was this one. They were both title fights so no excuses. Garbrandt wasn't even dropped.

Had nothing to do with him getting up, was more about him still being in it and going for the single leg. He was hurt but not out of it.

Lol just because you grab a leg doesnt make it a single leg, it was a desperate attempt that left his head wide open for more punches. Cejudo already had a 80% hit rate, and that single leg not only wasnt going anywhere but left him open to eat a lot more shots.

TJ was obviously getting the worst of it but he wasn't out. I was surprised and disappointed when the fight was stopped. That was before any replays, interviews or sherdog contributions.

A fighter doesnt have to be out. He has to show that he cannot properly defend himself, after the 1st knock down the ref gave TJ ample opportunity to show intelligent defense, instead Cejudo landed 90% of the 18 strikes thrown within 15 seconds and dropped him a 2nd time.

As soon as the ref see's a fighter not intelligently defending himself he stops the fight, I cant see how anyone can argue that TJ was intelligently defending himself.

I must have missed that. Will have another look. If u have a gif, pls do share. Thanks
I honestly don’t. It was fast and we saw it during the replays fight night. Lol

I think it was a little early but I can see the ref stopping it for safety.

The risk could be too great to let it go on even though the guy isn't completely incapacitated.

Exactly.

It's tough being a ref. It's easy to stop the fight too early or too late, but stopping it at just the right time is very difficult.

You're talking about a 1-2 second window for a "good" stoppage.
And not just good or bad for 'workplace points'

Late stoppage means the guy you're hired by the commission to protect, is going to go unconscious and likely suffer a concussion.

Not just an 'oops my bad' kind of situation.

A fighter doesnt have to be out. He has to show that he cannot properly defend himself, after the 1st knock down the ref gave TJ ample opportunity to show intelligent defense, instead Cejudo landed 90% of the 18 strikes thrown within 15 seconds and dropped him a 2nd time.

As soon as the ref see's a fighter not intelligently defending himself he stops the fight, I cant see how anyone can argue that TJ was intelligently defending himself.
Exactly.

Well said

Back