Every time a fighter gets up and complains after a TKO, fans cry 'EARLY STOPPAGE'

It is part of the sport. The laughable fans are the ones screaming let him go out first. Don't stop the fight!
I don't know how many times I have to harp on this but it isn't like video games where you have a full health bar again next fight.

I feel like too many fans judge the reaction of the fighter towards the stoppage, in factoring whether or not the stoppage was fitting. Yes, many of us are factoring 'hindsight' into the equation.

You must remember, that the referee is in there to PROTECT the fighters, and doesn't have the gift of hindsight or of making up his mind after watching few replays. We fans watch the replay 10 times, analyze how TJ was reacting, then see that he got back up and complained shortly after the stoppage... and cry that it was Early Stoppage.

Here's the fact... TJ got dropped... he took a bunch of unanswered shots... he tried to get back up again, and got dropped AGAIN with a solid punch. At this point TJ was so wobbled that he couldn't get back to his feet. He tried to hug Cejudo's leg, but this wasn't a takedown attempt... he was doing the only thing he could do other than lie down and turtle up.

I respect TJ for not turtling up and quitting, but there was no threat of a takedown from him. He had been dropped twice now in about 20 seconds... and has eaten over 20 unanswered shots.

At this point, the man that is the closest to the action, is the referee. He HAS to make a judgement call. He doesn't have the luxury of weighing in how TJ is going to react to the stoppage, how the stoppage might look on replay. He's the closest to the action, and he has now seen TJ get dropped twice by punches, and then eaten a couple dozen of unanswered punches to the dome.

At this point, the ref STOPS the action, and in turn STOPS Cejudo from applying any more pressure or doing any more damage to TJ who was badly hurt at that point.

Okay, NOW that Cejudo has been pulled off TJ... TJ decides to get up against the cage and complain. Just before that he looked totally out of it and no longer had his hands up when the ref broke the fight. TJ was out of it at that point. Sure, it is now EASY to get up and complain because the other world champion is no longer bashing you in the skull, and not dropping you for the 3rd time while you are trying to get up.

First Knockdown:
OffbeatExhaustedGharial-size_restricted.gif

Second Knockdown:
RemoteExcitableAngelfish-size_restricted.gif

2 Knockdowns and 20 unanswered shots in 20 seconds... that's a justified stoppage in any books. Dos Anjos lost his belt to Alvarez without being knocked down even once, and didn't complain. He knew he had eaten too many unanswered shots cleanly to the head. TJ should be thanking the ref for saving him from an inevitable concussion here.
But... DANA said it was a bad stoppage.
AND SO IT SHALL BE WRITTEN INTO HISTORY
Directly after "234 moved because we had to save this fight" and "Jones pulsed Turinab...bahaha get Novitsky in here I can't even finish that sentence"

(seriously @Cooliox great post, if only everyone could read, it would shut down this ridiculous "early stoppage" discussion)

I feel like too many fans judge the reaction of the fighter towards the stoppage, in factoring whether or not the stoppage was fitting. Yes, many of us are factoring 'hindsight' into the equation.

You must remember, that the referee is in there to PROTECT the fighters, and doesn't have the gift of hindsight or of making up his mind after watching few replays. We fans watch the replay 10 times, analyze how TJ was reacting, then see that he got back up and complained shortly after the stoppage... and cry that it was Early Stoppage.

Here's the fact... TJ got dropped... he took a bunch of unanswered shots... he tried to get back up again, and got dropped AGAIN with a solid punch. At this point TJ was so wobbled that he couldn't get back to his feet. He tried to hug Cejudo's leg, but this wasn't a takedown attempt... he was doing the only thing he could do other than lie down and turtle up.

I respect TJ for not turtling up and quitting, but there was no threat of a takedown from him. He had been dropped twice now in about 20 seconds... and has eaten over 20 unanswered shots.

At this point, the man that is the closest to the action, is the referee. He HAS to make a judgement call. He doesn't have the luxury of weighing in how TJ is going to react to the stoppage, how the stoppage might look on replay. He's the closest to the action, and he has now seen TJ get dropped twice by punches, and then eaten a couple dozen of unanswered punches to the dome.

At this point, the ref STOPS the action, and in turn STOPS Cejudo from applying any more pressure or doing any more damage to TJ who was badly hurt at that point.

Okay, NOW that Cejudo has been pulled off TJ... TJ decides to get up against the cage and complain. Just before that he looked totally out of it and no longer had his hands up when the ref broke the fight. TJ was out of it at that point. Sure, it is now EASY to get up and complain because the other world champion is no longer bashing you in the skull, and not dropping you for the 3rd time while you are trying to get up.

First Knockdown:

Second Knockdown:

2 Knockdowns and 20 unanswered shots in 20 seconds... that's a justified stoppage in any books. Dos Anjos lost his belt to Alvarez without being knocked down even once, and didn't complain. He knew he had eaten too many unanswered shots cleanly to the head. TJ should be thanking the ref for saving him from an inevitable concussion here.
That’s why the ref needs to let it go 8-10 seconds more, so there is no complaining. I don’t think a fighter is going to complain about the ref letting it go too long, just the opposite.

I'm with you. People misinterpret the rules all the time. The rules aren't written so that a fighter has to be battered into unconsciousness for it to be considered dangerous. Sure it gets to that point sometimes. But if you been knocked down more than once, and are eating multiple shots in a short time frame without even being remotely successful at defending yourself, or stopping the onslaught than a stoppage is justified.

This increases tenfold when you consider how bad TJ looked with his weight cut, and how badly dehydration affects concusive damage. The ref was perfectly justified with the stoppage imo.

Last edited:
In most fights I'd say the stoppage was decent. However given the magnitude of the fight, being a champ/champ fight, I believe the refs should take that into consideration and let the fights go a little longer. I know they want to keep it consistent but certain fights and fighters should be allowed to go until it's completely over. Think about Diaz vs Daley or Pat Berry vs Kongo.

If ifs and ands were pots and pans, there would be no work for tinkers hands

half the fighters are still rattled and not all there when they get up and complain to the ref.

you do realize those gif's only prove why it was an early stoppage right?

TJ was never out. Ref needs to be suspended/fired.

That's not the standard for a stoppage. It's intelligent defense.

TJ was getting lit up. His "single leg" attempt only happened because Cejudo stopped throwing punches and turned around to celebrate. If the ref hadn't stepped in, Cejudo would have had Dillashaw's back.

Not the best stoppage, but nowhere near a robbery.

I think you’re over analyzing a very simple situation. Some people don’t want the refs to stop a fight until a fighter is knocked out. Look at the comments. You even have a retard saying « he was never out ».

The problem is that there's no consistency with stoppages, they let some mid tier guy come back from clinical death when he's fighting for 50K and then it's all about fighter's safety when a guy is trying to be double champ.

It's TJ's fault that he was in that position in the first place, but allowing 2-3 more punches to clear the doubt wouldn't have done more damage than TJ suffered just to be there.

it seems like there are more threads defending the stoppage than those complaining about it.. hmm, wonder why.

also, when u state "facts" there shouldnt be any opinions interwoven

I think you’re over analyzing a very simple situation. Some people don’t want the refs to stop a fight until a fighter is knocked out. Look at the comments. You even have a retard saying « he was never out ».
thats not a good conclusion to make

The problem is that there's no consistency with stoppages, they let some mid tier guy come back from clinical death when he's fighting for 50K and then it's all about fighter's safety when a guy is trying to be double champ.

It's TJ's fault that he was in that position in the first place, but allowing 2-3 more punches to clear the doubt wouldn't have done more damage than TJ suffered just to be there.
sherdoggers with brains? hard to believe.. cheers broseph

Think about Diaz vs Daley or Pat Berry vs Kongo.

I keep seeing people citing
the Kongo fight as an example, but would anyone say that if in an alternate reality , the fight were stopped in Pat's favour that it would have been called an early stoppage? Diaz I can understand letting go because he was even providing head movement on the ground (and not the kind where Henry cejudos fists are doing the head movement for you)

Some people talk like MMA fighters are Gladiators and the referee is only there to drag the corpse away at the end and reload the lion chamber

If TJ took 5 or 10 more shots and went LIMP, fans would be outraged and calling it a late stoppage

Meanwhile I'm over here asking for something in the middle of those two options.

Rule isn't fight until someone is out, it's about whether or not you are intelligently defending yourself. TJ was getting wailed on and not defending himself intelligently at all.
That's not the standard for a stoppage. It's intelligent defense.

TJ was getting lit up. His "single leg" attempt only happened because Cejudo stopped throwing punches and turned around to celebrate. If the ref hadn't stepped in, Cejudo would have had Dillashaw's back.

Not the best stoppage, but nowhere near a robbery.
you do realize TJ got up right away to protest the stoppage right?

he was "intelligently defending" the early stoppage after he got up.

therefore, it was a robbery and the ref needs to be fired immediately.

People are just dumb

You see in the first gif, TJ is going for single legs and Henry is straight spinning and waist riding hiss ass. And this is when he is less rocked.
Why people think he would have a chance with the last single leg, in which he was rocked hard off of?

First Knockdown:

Second Knockdown:

I don't know man. Looks like cejuudost big asss head hit tj in the chin before the push

you do realize TJ got up right away to protest the stoppage right?

he was "intelligently defending" the early stoppage after he got up.

therefore, it was a robbery and the ref needs to be fired immediately.

1. Complaining after the fact is not proof that a stoppage was bad.

2. Where is intelligent defense here?

ForthrightSameIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

The ref made the decision to end the fight after the second time that he got dropped in 20 seconds.

Back