Every division does not necessarly have to have a GOAT

StankyPecker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You see so much arguing lately about the LW GOAT, I personally think it's kind of ridiculous. There's a lot of BJ nut huggers out there. I'm a fan myself, but his resume at LW just isn't good enough to be considered a GOAT, nor is he that far above anyone else. So people's are argument is.. if BJ isn't the goat, who is? Well the answer is no one.

You have a division like 135, who's the GOAT there? Obviously no one, and you don't hear anyone speak about it. It could've been Cruz, but we all know how that career has gone.. Barao..? won an interm title and defended it 3 times?

it's just ridiculous to call anyone a goat, the resume just isn't there, and it's not there for anyone at LW either.

Unless you're saying the top fighters are all equal then it's kinda silly not to compare fighters and recognize the accomplishments of one over another.

They are several goats....all the time. Sherdog says so.

You see so much arguing lately about the LW GOAT, I personally think it's kind of ridiculous. There's a lot of BJ nut huggers out there. I'm a fan myself, but his resume at LW just isn't good enough to be considered a GOAT, nor is he that far above anyone else. So people's are argument is.. if BJ isn't the goat, who is? Well the answer is no one.

You have a division like 135, who's the GOAT there? Obviously no one, and you don't hear anyone speak about it. It could've been Cruz, but we all know how that career has gone.. Barao..? won an interm title and defended it 3 times?

it's just ridiculous to call anyone a goat, the resume just isn't there, and it's not there for anyone at LW either.

Im not a big barao fan, but I don't know why winning an interim belt and defending it 3 times isn't that big of an accomplishment.

If you really don't think that it is then consider penn "only" won a vacant lw belt in a match with Joe Daddy Stevenson and "only" defended it 3 times as well and never attempted to defend the ww title.

Penn needed 3 lw title shots to win it as well, and has had 7 title shots total at lw and ww.

Penn, 3 title defenses, 7 shots.

Yes they do.

Somebody was the best in that division, that person is GOAT of that division.

Not that complicated.

Well if you ranked all the fighters who ever fought at LE from 1 to infinity based on their career at LW then the person who was no1 is, by definition, the GOAT. That can not be disputed.

The way you chose to rank the fighters or the person you ask to rank them, however, can be disputed and argued over till you die.

So just relax man

I don't think much people understood TS' point.

Its about generalizing the term 'GOAT' .Well,if you call the best fighter ever in MMA the GOAT,that fighter probably deserved that.But if you narrow down the fighter span and try to find a GOAT in a division,sure you can come up with someone but there will be less challenge than being a GOAT in whole UFC,So basically the word "GOAT" loses its value.So it might be better not to pick any GOAT in some divisions.Sorry for grammar errors lol

I don't think much people understood TS' point.

Its about generalizing the term 'GOAT' .Well,if you call the best fighter ever in MMA the GOAT,that fighter probably deserved that.But if you narrow down the fighter span and try to find a GOAT in a division,sure you can come up with someone but there will be less challenge than being a GOAT in whole UFC,So basically the word "GOAT" loses its value.So it might be better not to pick any GOAT in some divisions.Sorry for grammar errors lol

Not really, you can have the "greatest of all time" at anything.

From the greatest human to the greatest tiddlywinks player aged between 35-65 with only one leg.

It's just that being the GOAT of some things is harder than being the GOAT of others. I'm sure TS is even the GOAT of something but he's too bashful to admit it!

I'm a fan myself, but his resume at LW just isn't good enough to be considered a GOAT, nor is he that far above anyone else.

I agree that BJ Penn is the best lightweight in MMA history. That would make him the GOAT lightweight to me, but I won't argue semantics with you if you don't like that term for this situation.

Not really, you can have the "greatest of all time" at anything.

No one is holding you,YOU can have goat at anything bro.It will be just a single person's opinion.But I have my own point of view.

I really disagree, I don't think there has to be a "greatest" of all time.. if no one was truly great.

The term gets thrown around way too lately, I don't think BJ accomplished that much, I put Barao in a similar setting.

That's just my opinion, I think people are so infatuated with BJ that they are so narrow minded to what he actually did in the sport, and how overrated he is. It's so hard to fairly discuss these things.. if you compare BJ's competition to someone like Bendo's, or Pettis, it's a joke.. the level of competition overall in the sport so much less back then, and fighters were overall less talented. If there isn't someone that truly dominated, or stuck out above the rest and accomplished a ton, why does there have to be a greatest of all time? In my opinion, when you refer to someone like BJ as the GOAT, it really lessens it when you mention the same about fedor, Anderson or gsp.

I really disagree, I don't think there has to be a "greatest" of all time.. if no one was truly great.

The term gets thrown around way too lately, I don't think BJ accomplished that much, I put Barao in a similar setting.

That's just my opinion, I think people are so infatuated with BJ that they are so narrow minded to what he actually did in the sport, and how overrated he is. It's so hard to fairly discuss these things.. if you compare BJ's competition to someone like Bendo's, or Pettis, it's a joke.. the level of competition overall in the sport so much less back then, and fighters were overall less talented. If there isn't someone that truly dominated, or stuck out above the rest and accomplished a ton, why does there have to be a greatest of all time? In my opinion, when you refer to someone like BJ as the GOAT, it really lessens it when you mention the same about fedor, Anderson or gsp.

Do you think there has been a better fighter at LW than BJ Penn?

If not then you agree that BJ is the greatest mma fighter at LW of all time. It's quite simple.

Disagree. There may be no clear cut at every division but the idea of GOAT means there is one at every division. Here's who I think are the Goats:

HW : Fedor
LHW : Jones
MW : Anderson
WW : GSP
LW : Penn (Debatable one)
FW : Aldo
BW : Cruz (Debatable one)
FLY : Mighty Mouse (Debatable because UFC only recently got FLY and FLY fights have been going on for years.)

But do you agree that BJ is - literally - the greatest lightweight of all time?

Because while he isn't that far ahead, I struggle to argue for another of the candiates getting the nod. You want the term to be more special than the literal meaning? Sure, but I think you'll be speaking to a minority then.

But do you agree that BJ is - literally - the greatest lightweight of all time?

Because while he isn't that far ahead, I struggle to argue for another of the candiates getting the nod. You want the term to be more special than the literal meaning? Sure, but I think you'll be speaking to a minority then.

Right. You can't really argue Gomi ahead of him. You could maybe argue Pettis but it feels too soon. Edgar's probably in the mix there somewhere too.

Everyone has their opinion and everyone values different things when coming up with their points of view.

Hmmmmm.....it's an interesting point, here's my take.......

We all know what GOAT stands for. So, in any given division, you take the best there ever was, and dub him GOAT. Now maybe he isn't that impressive in his career as another GOAT, but he is still the greatest of all time in his specific division. Do you need to have a goat? No. But it's easy and entertainingly debatable to discuss who is the goat.

To me a fighter needs a solid 4-5 title defense to even think of him as potential goat material

Now P4P is a whole other animal that I'm pleasantly relieved, isn't throw around like goat is. P4P to me is that one specific fighter scaled up/down to any weight class metaphorically, trumps all other fighters.

And I agree with TS about BJ Penn 100%. I love BJ, and I would have to do a lottle homework, but as amazing as he could've been I feel he dropped the ball way too many times

first off... why the fuck didn't you just make this a reply in the thread? There's nothing more (words I probably would get banned saying)ish than people making new threads instead of just replying just because they think there's something extra special about their post and they don't want it to just be a reply...

you really need attention that bad you little fairy? You think your post is special?

Also, you're wrong. There's always a best guy, even if by a inch. If there's only been one whole fight in an entire division, whoever won that fight is the greatest person that division has ever seen (like whoever that lady strawweight champion is)

it's really not that complicated. there's been a handful of Lightweight champions, who's the best we've seen so far in terms of accomplishment? BJ Penn. Not by much... but his 3 defenses were better than Benson's 3 defenses (and Edgar's 2.5 defenses)

GOAT means absolutely nothing to anyone but the person claiming X fighter is GOAT.

Even when there's a clear cut "best" fighter in a division you'll have 3/4 of the forum dwellers saying otherwise. It's a ridiculous, never ending argument.

some of you take terms to seriously. GOAT, P4P, Superfight....

Back