Every BJJ guys fear in tournament

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by November, Aug 16, 2015.

1. November

November Yellow Belt

Wrestler. I also hear BJJ guys dreading the thought of facing wrestlers in comp. Why they fear wrestlers so much?

2. slickster

slickster twitch.tv/techwarriorz

BJJ guys spend 98% of their time training while already on the ground, therefore there is a bit of a lag in the stand up deparment... so a wrestler vs. bjj guy STARTS like this:

Wrestler either goes straight for a takedown and starts the match 2-0...

OR

Jiu-Jitsu guy immediately pulls open guard.

From the ground, wrestlers are usually very tenacious, and are difficult to submit/sweep.... so if you are 2-0 for 7 minutes and can't get your game going.... you lose!

3. Silverblur

Silverblur Purple Belt

Wrestlers usually enter divisions based on their experience in jujitsu rather than their total grappling experience (at least in IBJJf tournaments), so if you're up against a wrestler there is a good chance he has twice as much mat time as you even if you're in the same division. Additionally wrestling is a much more organized sport, so wrestlers have usually worked with a strength and conditioning coach, or at least been put through team PT, so they are (on average) more athletic than most pure BJJ players.

4. peregrine

peregrine Kahuna Dog

Uh no.
    Wrestlers have a ton of bad habits if they weren't developed or adjusted their games to submission.
    I'd rather face a wrestler than some other archetypes.

5. These Two Hands

These Two Hands Our revenge will be the laughter of our children

Am I the only one who came in expecting a diarrhea thread...?

Frankly I'm a little relieved, actually.

6. AgonyandIrony

AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

I throw a hard standing straight armlock every single time I get single collared, then wait for the double underhook attempts to hit an ouchi gari.

I can't be the only one throwing standing armlocks to fuck up a wrestlers game.

7. yetanother

yetanother Black Belt

At the lower belt levels facing a wrestler can mean you will fight someone who grappled for 10 years at white/blue belt.

8. Patrick F Carey

Patrick F Carey Green Belt

Mind explaing the standing armlock a bit? Im having a hard time imagining it being a stronger attack than a standard shuck from the collar tie

9. Higus

Higus Gold Belt

They are strong, athletic, and tough with good bases that make them difficult to take down or sweep. On top of that, they probably have good control from the top position and are probably a very difficult to keep down if you miraculously end up on top. Depending on your game, that's a nightmare match up for a lot of opponents. Why wouldn't you be anxious against a good wrestler?

10. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Takedown points and stalling powers.

11. MagicWand

MagicWand Purple Belt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptaNak1B3_Q

athletes conditioned to the extreme, more mat time than you can imagine, explosive, very difficult to control, and a willingness to grind and hurt. obviously i'm bias. wrestling was far tougher than bjj has ever been.

12. SuperiorHands

SuperiorHands Purple Belt

I fear a bjj prodigy more. Once I had about 6 months under my belt I found the pressure wrestler relatively easy to deal with. Obviously the takedown's were a nightmare but I always found that they were susceptible to triangles and omoplato sweeps, things I never hit on non wrestlers at that stage of my development.

Also if you could sweep them a good attacking top game usually crushed them since they don't spend a lot of their time on their back especially early in training.

13. SuperiorHands

SuperiorHands Purple Belt

I've always found the conditioning and their mentality to be far more challenging than their techniques. I train with some wrestlers regularly and some of their tendencies lead them into areas where I can land some sneaky subs and sweeps.

Their never say die attitude is the hardest part because you know your gonna spend the entire match or roll being grinded, stacked, crossfaced, and holding on like a damn bullride.

14. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Never Fear Wrestlers Again!!!!!

[YT]sIiFMk4qOZM[/YT]

15. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Lower level BJJ guys might fear wrestlers because they're afraid of being taken down or they don't want to deal with the perceived higher level of physicality and intensity of a wrestler, but that's pretty much over with for any serious competitor past blue belt. I couldn't care less if I face a wrestler, it just means my strategy will change a bit just like it would if I was facing a guy who I knew had a ridiculous guard or great leg locks or whatever.

The only thing I'm the least bit afraid of in competition is someone throwing on a sub too fast, because being off the mat with injuries sucks. That's about it. I'll happily fight anyone from any background and be pretty confident; it is BJJ competition after all, we're not wrestling or playing Judo or whatever.

16. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Not to put too fine a point on it, but because you're not a little bitch and you trust your BJJ. If you're worried about competing against anyone, you're either really green (white or new blue belt) or you haven't trained hard enough for the competition. If you're an experienced competitor (meaning experienced blue belt or higher), you should have the following attributes going into a competition:

• Game plan that consists of your best positions and techniques that you've practiced a great deal and can execute without thinking. You must know how you're going to start the match, know where you want to go, and be very good at getting to your positions.
    • Good conditioning, should be able to go more or less full speed for 1 more match than you expect to have.
    • Mental toughness and belief in your own ability to beat anyone you face

Any good competitor whether they have a wrestling base or not should be strong, aggressive, be hard to sweep, good top control, etc. If your attitude going into competition is 'I hope I have all easy matches' you're doing it wrong. Your attitude needs to be 'I will beat anyone they put in front of me; no one deserves to beat me or is going to'. If you're anxious facing anyone you need to work more on the things I listed above until you're at a point where that anxiety dissipates into your assurance of your own capability to deal with anything and come out on top. Anyone you feel anxious facing you probably shouldn't be facing, and by that I mean you probably shouldn't be competing. You should get excited for competition, but if you're truly worried for whatever reason then you don't have the right mindset and need to get your shit together before stepping out on the mat. Again, this is for experienced competitors, obviously noobs are going to have a lot of anxiety in general until they get used to competition.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  17. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

I don't care about them much now that I'm a purple belt, but when I was a white belt I would run into wrestlers who wrestled throughout high school and college and are walking through everyone in the white belt division.

I had one guy shot a double then literally just hold me down in my guard. He didn't attempt a single guard break or pass.

18. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    It's true. I am afraid of wrestlers diving into insane neck cranks and snatching limbs 110% like Palhares. I'm also afraid of their ridiculous strength.

The people I LOVE going against are 10th planets. Not that their technique is bad, although they do disregard the basics, but because they always seem physically weak and lanky.

19. ChainFlow

ChainFlow Brown Belt

People afraid of wrestlers are people that aren't in shape and who use guards that let their opponent make them carry their weight / grind / crossface.

20. JustinTime

JustinTime Green Belt

Are you talking about a traditional self-defense standing armlock?