Everlast Professional Hook-and-Loop & Rival Elite Bag Gloves

P

Pugilistic

Hey yall. This is my first review that I've been wanting to do since I'm pretty happy about both my gloves.

First is the Everlast Glove. This is the Pro version that costs $80 not the cheap $30 ones you get at sports stores. Although Everlast advertises two different Pro Training gloves and Pro bag gloves, they are the same exact glove. They seem to designed for both sparring or bag work, whichever you chose to use it for. I got them for sparring but I tested them out a few times on a heavybag and mitts.

I got them in white and although in my opinion it looks good, stuff will get on it from the bags or pads. The glove feels and looks like its well made but I was a little worried at first because a thread from the elastic cuff came off a bit when I first got them. No problems since.

Although they are 16oz, they are smaller than 16s from some of the other brands I've seen. The foam seems to be packed densely together and is very firm. I've been hit by a sparring partner who has these and they felt a little harder than some other 16s I've been hit with.

100_0866.jpg

The glove feels very tight and provides good wrist support. It takes some effort to get it on with handwraps. Since it is new, the hand area is very stiff and its hard for me to close my fist tightly for an extended period. If you're able to close your first, it provides good protection for your hands. There's ample amount of padding around. So far, I like this glove a lot except for the price.

100_0870.jpg

Next are the Rival RB1s. I decided to get Rival for my bagwork because I've heard so much about how they make awesome gloves. I actually originally ordered the RB2 Ultra Baggloves.
titleboxing_1997_386475440

I emailed Title why it was taking so long for them to ship and a guy named Ryan got to me quickly and told me the item was out of stock. They sent me these gloves which are 10 dollars more expensive for the same price ($75 not including shipping). So thanks to Ryan and Title for that.

Anyway, I got them in 12oz. Compared to the Everlasts, the foam isn't as packed tightly so the gloves feel softer. As you can see in the pictures above, the Rivals aren't that much smaller despite there being a 4oz difference. The glove doesn't feel as snug compared to the Everlasts and there is little wrist support. But it still feels good around my fist and I don't look for wrist support in gloves anyway. I get that from my wraps.

I haven't trained seriously in them, but tested them out on the mitts held by my girlfriend. Not exactly the best way to guage a gloves performance but oh well. The rivals have good hand protection and feel good to have them on. They are much better than the bag gloves I've been using the past year.

I'm very satisfied with the gloves but I do have a few small qualms about:
1. I feel I could've gotten a comparable pair of gloves for a cheaper price from a different brand if I did more research.
2. The weird strap system they have seems superfluous to me. The extra strap doesn't seem to give me more support. Not to mention its a tad bit harder to put on.
3. The glove looks cool and futuristic in pictures online, but in real life it looks like a toy. It also has "Rival" plastered all over it in case I forget which glove I'm using.
4. There's a seam that goes down the middle of the contact area of the glove. As you can see in the picture here. I'm just worried that the seam will come loose since its gonna be taking a lot of pounding in that area. But the construction looks solid so hopefully that won't happen soon.
100_0872.jpg

Thanks for the review. Has helped me make a decision on what im looking for.

Nice review. The Rival bag gloves look kinda disappointing design-wise, based on your comments. Thanks for your input on these gloves.

Nice review. The Rival bag gloves look kinda disappointing design-wise, based on your comments. Thanks for your input on these gloves.

Thanks. The glove design is obviously a personal preference. I just like things to be plain and simple looking, which is why I like the Everlast better on based on looks.

I have the Rival Ultra Bag Gloves and I couldnt be happier with them. The wrist strap is a bit of a pain, but it adds to the wrist support. I haven't had them that long, but I like them. I'm 250 lbs and I hit pretty hard so after wearing out a pair of 16 oz Windy's I decided to try these 14oz dedicated bag gloves. They aren't leather though. Don't get the wrong impression, these are nice gloves... different, but nice. I'll try to report on how they wear after a while.

OK, here's an update on the Rivals after seriously training in them. They are comfortable and it does offer good protection. My hands still get a little sore but nowhere as much as it used to. My hands could be brittle or I may just punch hard. I do feel with these gloves I can put as much as I can into my punches without fear of damaging my hands. I was not able to do that with my other gloves.

just to follow up how have the everlasts broken in? is the foam still very stiff?

just to follow up how have the everlasts broken in? is the foam still very stiff?

nice review thanks. I just picked up a pair of the everlast pro gloves because I like the how low profile the striking area is. I wish I got them in White like yours but black will have to do. I'll post up a review when I get them in the next day or 2.

rival look sweet but i can't understand the extra seams, to me it's bad enough we can't make seamless boxing gloves why add extra seams.

I actually haven't been using them a lot. They are harder than the gloves at my gym and I don't want to create enemies by using hard ass gloves. But a lot of guys at my gym use them for bag work and light sparring, and their gloves seem fine.

I have 14oz everlasts that i use for everything that are exactly the same as the ones he has reviewd. Both the leather and the foam breaks in nicely and becomes much softer with use.

Update on the gloves. Just to let you guys know, since I made this thread, I have been training heavily and using my gloves (in particular the Rivals) quite a lot. I've been competed in both amateur and professional matches so my gloves have been taking a beating.

Overall, they are still holding up pretty well after 3 years of heavy use but my Rival Elites have started to leak tiny pieces of foam from the inside of the left glove since last week. After bag work, I would see bits of foam stuck to my handwraps. This is probably because I practice my lefthook a lot and it is my best punch.

Externally, the glove is fine. The weird seam on the front of the glove is still holding up and so is the velcro wrist strap, although I still think the double strap system is odd and useless. These gloves have fit my hand and served me really well these past few years. They have protected my hands pretty well although I have hurt my wrist on occasion. I will probably continue to use these until the foam leaking becomes worse.

As for the Everlasts, I haven't been using them as much due to the stiffness but I've been trying to break them in the past couple months by taking them to the gym once or twice a week. The stiffness of the glove is lessening with time and it is getting increasingly easier to put on the gloves and make a fist. Still prefer using the Rivals though. My issue maybe kind of personal, but I regret buying them in 16. I originally bought them for sparring but my gym lends sparring gloves that are softer so I never use my Everlasts for sparring. But the bigger size and roundness of the glove doesn't make it ideal for bagwork in my opinion. Its harder to get proper knuckle impact on hooks and uppercuts because the shape gives punches the tendency to glance off the bag at times. Maybe I just need to get more used to these.

As for the Everlasts, I haven't been using them as much due to the stiffness but I've been trying to break them in the past couple months by taking them to the gym once or twice a week.

Maybe I just need to get more used to these.

5 years after your initial review and your still breaking them in? :eek:

Even if you only used them once a month you'd have worn them at least 50 times by now right?

Those Everlasts almost look like Winnings. Sounds to me like they aren't very good. Now if they were $200 Everlasts, I would give those a chance. Any Everlast glove below $100 is not worth looking at.

5 years after your initial review and your still breaking them in? :eek:

Even if you only used them once a month you'd have worn them at least 50 times by now right?

Dang I didn't even realize it's been 5 years. The thing is I barely touched them until 3 months ago. Maybe it's just mine that are particular stiff but its taking some time. I'm going to use them more often now so it shouldn't take too long.

Those Everlasts almost look like Winnings. Sounds to me like they aren't very good. Now if they were $200 Everlasts, I would give those a chance. Any Everlast glove below $100 is not worth looking at.

Not true at all. I've used broken-in Everlasts (the same exact model I have) before and it felt very good. Either my gloves or my hands are just weird.

I think the ones in the OP were pretty well reviewed universally, but are now discontinued, if they're the same Everlasts that I think they are

The exact Everlast gloves are still around in stores in my country.

These gloves are to me better than the protex 3 gloves they put out. They arent gorgeous or easy on the eyes, the leather isnt that nice, but for me it was very easy to make a fist and gave decent protection even though the padding looks thin. I dont know, after winnings and Flores everything is a compromise somehow. Reyes are beautiful and meticulously made, but as for the training gloves, they always felt awkward. A lot of it is break in, which isnt as necessary with Flores, Shevlins, or of course winnings (or those former top of the line and still available in velcro everlasts, at least my pair...) but the grip hose is stiff and the thumb is weird as well(on the Reyes). The pro fight glove feels great but no padding. Now I think being small I might be able to use the Safetec glove for hard bag work. I was using a velcro winnings in 12oz not degradation and I let a heavyweight bang em on the bag. Those things padding felt like a reyes fight glove after he was done.

The protex 3's are in the top 3 list imo. These gloves can't even be near that.

Back