Everlast MX and Cleto Reyes Comparison

Turbo Ace

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This isn't a full on review but I just wanted to give my input in case anyone is curious to know.

After the first Mayweather and Maidana fight, I was curious to see these Everlast MX Official Fight Gloves. I ordered from this website: http://www.sportsheavenusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=384_386&products_id=5245

Great prices on their equipment! Anyways, I ordered them in 10oz l/xl. Now I must say, these are some great quality gloves. Yes, Everlast doesn't have the best reputation around here, but there is no denying that these gloves are quality, Mexican made gloves. They have a pretty decent smell too!

In terms of the Reyes, I happened to buy a blue 8oz horsehair (original, not safe-tec) pair off of Amazon because they were only 87.00! And they weren't from Ringside either, so I assume they are the "Mexican Market" ones that everyone raves about. Beautiful construction as well, and they are constructed from cow leather (I also have a large pair of the hybrid ES300 that are my FAVORITE bag gloves, which are actually made from goat leather...I picked these up directly from the Cleto Reyes store in San Diego).

The comparison:

Now obviously, I can't compare the exact quality and construction, since I won't be using these for training (more for my collection). But I will be comparing how they feel.

I know many of you are probably going to be shocked by this....but the Everlast MX gloves are EVEN MORE of a punchers glove. I am not even kidding, their padding is pretty much next to nothing, even though I have them in a higher weight. Everytime I put my hand in them, I just cannot help but wonder how the commission even allows these gloves. It's literally leather, a tiny bit of padding, then your knuckles. In fact, ironically it seems that the padding ADDS power, because the hybrid horsehair/foam seem to be quite "hard". I will also note that they may provide a bit more wrist protection, since the cuff doesn't flop around as easily as the Reyes do. The leather also seems a lot more shinier, and the leather isn't as smooth (really quite wrinkly).

HOWEVER, in my opinion, the Reyes gloves do seem more comfortable, and I feel that I can make a perfect fist with them. The MX gloves I can make a pretty decent fist as well, but the finger tip area feels a little bit off, and whenever I clench to make a fist I almost feel like I have to force it. In terms of the padding, I definitely have to squeeze quite a bit more to feel my knuckles, while the MX gloves my knuckles are literally, right there.

If anyone else likes to collect gloves like I do, give the MX gloves a chance! Overall I think if I was a pro fighter I would be torn to choose between these two, because they are both good in their own ways.

If you don't like to read:

Cleto Reyes: More comfortable, perfect fist, thicker (safer) padding, smooth leather

Everlast MX: Less comfortable, decent fist, thin/on the brink of being banned (pretty much like punching with your bare fist) padding, wrinkly (but still top notch) leather, thicker wrist cuff.

I will try to follow up my post with some pictures, hopefully there is a way that I can portray the thickness of the padding

That pro fight glove is probably the only decent glove that everlast makes.

I agree, I'm actually curious about the whole MX series. I'd assume they're quite decent just because of the Mexican made background (for Everlast standards anyways)

So like... Do you actually train/fight, or do you like wearing gloves or something?

Overall I think if you were a pro fighter, you'd fight in whatever the commission let you fight in and your preference would come down to their sole discretion.

I could be wrong but I always thought that the fighters would agree between each other about which gloves would be used. You see lots of fights where one guy has grants and another guy had cletos or some everlasts.

Uhh I actually train/fight? I don't know if that was supposed to be a jab at me or something but I don't think there is anything wrong with collecting gear as well.

And depending on how the fights are sanctioned, you are given a choice of which gloves to choose

Well technically it is a gear and equipment forum, so you will see reviews on various gloves. I'm grateful to read review by guys like stratocaster and Blaire because of the amount of detail they put into reviewing gloves, so I was trying to contribute some knowledge to the boards as well.

I could have easily been like "Both gloves are good. The End" but I don't think people would have taken too kindly to that

As I already said, I won't be doing any hard training with these. I have other gloves for this, and I made this post because people always ask what the MX gloves are like. Due to the nature of them they are horse hair gloves, meaning they would really only be good for 30 rounds and that's it....they completely lose their form, and it's pretty much a waste of money. If you want pro fight gloves to train with, Winning are probably your best bet.

As I also stated above, I will be posting up pictures when I get the chance.

And exactly what do you mean by "stating the obvious"?

And yes, the general consensus is that Mexican equipment is of high quality. There are exceptions to this rule such as JC Pacheco (which have recently went down in quality according to some other people)

Maybe if you clinch with the guy more often you could get an allergic reaction out of him

20141217_075142.jpg

20141217_075149.jpg

20141217_075155.jpg

20141217_075228.jpg

20141217_075633.jpg

Notice the amount of "give" the padding has

20141217_075645.jpg

20141217_075730.jpg

The Everlast has a lot less leeway in terms of how deep the padding goes

20141217_075811.jpg

20141217_075752.jpg

20141217_075908.jpg

20141217_075856.jpg

20141217_075835.jpg

Not much wrist support (obviously you need to be taped up)

20141217_081017.jpg

Much thicker padding around the wrist for the Everlast. Still need to be taped up though

20141217_081104.jpg

20141217_081033.jpg

20141217_081315.jpg

Another view of the padding from the side. Notice how much thicker it looks compared to the Everlast below

20141217_081302.jpg

Barely any padding

Nice review turbo. I appreciate the kudos but i 100% agree with you. I always thought reyes were superior gloves. They are higher quality, better leather as you stated.

Ive always expressed my discontent with everlast.

But after testing both the powerlocks and mx series it just cements my outlook on everlasts. Just move along, find a better glove.

Great review love the honesty about everlasts (lot of dishonesty about everlasts being good gloces)and the favorable truth about reyes. Keep up the good work

Back