Everlast 5 oz (6 oz) gloves review - with pictures

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Reviews' started by Hammaer, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Hammaer

Hammaer White Belt

I have to say that out of all the MMA gloves I've trained with, these are the best I've tried, to the point that I own two pairs! Of course, the price at the time of this writing is REALLY hard to argue ($20)!

Here's the link-
    5 oz. Leather MMA Gloves by Everlast-Combatsports.com

(I also wrote the review by "GA MA Enthusiast" in the listing)

I've been looking for MMA gloves that meet certain standards for a while now, because the martial arts I train in don't involve being in a cage with a referee (not that I'm not a huge MMA fan). I needed gloves with enough padding to protect the hands but not be bulky, that were nice and flexible, durable, and allowed for good movement. They also had to be MMA gloves for different types of strikes and grabs. I also didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on them, but it's because I'm relatively frugal (call me cheap if you want to, I just started learning how to save money).

That being said, I came across these Everlast gloves on Everlast.com, and to my surprise, also on Combatsports.com. When they FIRST came out about 5 or 6 months ago, I guess Everlast wanted to build interest in their new gloves, because they were supposed to be priced at $60, but they were on sale for only $30. I liked the look, and I thought they had the simple "one layer" wrist enclosure from the Fairtex gloves. I called Combat Sports about them and spoke with a rep, who sounded genuine when he told me that he favored these gloves over the super sleek CSI gloves, and loved them almost as much as the Fairtex's, but at the price, he wouldn't be able to argue them below the Fairtex gloves. So I went ahead and ordered them in white and in regular, thinking that since normally I wear mediums for just about any type of glove, they should suffice. And here, 5 months later, I've been so impressed with them, I bought another pair, blue large, to reduce wear on the first pair, and to get better coverage, but more about that in a second. I also could NOT pass up a deal that surpassed my original one!

Here are the pics of the white ones- my original pair.

Back of the hand/knuckles
    [​IMG]

Palm
    [​IMG]

Closed fist, front
    [​IMG]

And the blue ones...

Back of the hand/knuckles
    [​IMG]

Palm
    [​IMG]

Closed fist, front
    [​IMG]

A few more to come in a response.

My thoughts:

Aesthetics - These gloves are HOT. Anything other than black is two-tone, and the design is real sleek. One could say they're Hayabusa ripoffs, for a wide variety of reasons.

Construction- Top notch. All leather. These suckers have hit everything from mitts to heavy bags, and they still stand up. No loose threads, nothing. The padding is still as good as ever, and they've been hitting full force 3 times a week since I got them.

Fit - When I first got them, they were TIGHT. I've got skinny monkey fingers, and they were still real tight. However, a good week of bag work broke them in so they're nice and comfortable, especially when I compared the feel of the old ones to the new ones. I actually just received the blue ones on Saturday, so there's ample comparison. However, you'll notice that the gloves fit well, regardless. The regulars fit amazingly well, even after all this time, so I expect the large's to fit better soon. The palm strap holds the glove to your hand real well, and the cross directional strap that Hayabusa has seemingly popularized is present here, making for an outstanding fit with plenty of support. I don't know what to say about wrapping the hands, as I personally never do, but I'm sure they will accommodate short wraps if you get a size or two larger. I only have a 180" pair which I use with boxing gloves when I want to up my workout.

Flexibility/movement - Outstanding. With the cross directional strap, I can turn and flex my wrist to snake my hands inside grabs and strike in a wide variety of ways no problem. This is in comparison to the long strap seen on the UFC gloves, which are popular on all sorts of training gloves. I personally don't like that strap, because it ends up so thick I feel like I'm cuffed, but that's personal preference.

Padding - Now, Everlast used to list these gloves as 5 oz gloves. The tag on them says 6 oz. It doesn't matter, because these were meant as fight gloves, and when you feel the impact these things can make, you know it. The padding is nice and dense, and holds up to abuse. The EverDri liner helps cushion the knuckles a little as well (though I'm sure that's not the purpose), and feels really soft. That being said, since they're dense, I do NOT recommend sparring all out with these. Your partner will feel it the next day, and probably not want to spar with you again until you get different gloves. Other types of training, and controlled sparring, on the other hand, and you'll be fine, and this is what I was looking for.

Overall - GREAT gloves. Nice and light, tough, and very flexible. If you'll notice, the material on the large has a little more excess on my hand, but the extra coverage over the fingers is worth it to me, especially when I bang on the heavy bag. Most people would give these gloves crap at first, being Everlast and all, but to try them on is a joy. You've got a break in period, but anything with good leather requires breaking in. And at the current price, it's a STEAL. They're like Hayabusas, but better priced. I also felt now would be a good time to review these things, because I'm tired of people reviewing ANYTHING right off the bat. Features are nice, but how well does the item hold up? I got my money's worth and more, and should I ever get a nice raise and the gloves finally crap out, I'll be definitely getting another pair.

2. Formless

Formless Blue Belt

Can anyone else vouch for these?

I want a pair of gloves that are similarly priced but I've heard Everlast may have some weird issues (though this is a newer designed glove)

3. LRjiujitsu

LRjiujitsu Blue Belt

i actualy just baught a pair of these on the reccomendation by bushidowarfare...and damn ! these gloves are great !...kinda odd comming from everlast :p

but i also own the leather training gloves, and those are good too. too bad everlast has a shitty rep so not many people try that particular pair

But first off, these pictures dont do the glove justice at all. its a realy nice smooth leather, wrist support feels awsome ! deffinitly better then any mma glove i tried, i like it way more then my fairtex ones too. i got them in gold. maybe ill write my own review, but yeah, these are deffinitly a diamond in the rough and i think theres still some sites that have them for 25$ and one that has it for but one get one free but i dont remember which

4. Here's a link to the gloves on sale: Everlast 5 oz. Leather Grappling Gloves-http://www.maauthority.com/

$37.42 for 2 pairs and shipping is a flat rate of $4.95 ($42.37 all together). I wasn't familiar with this site, but had received an email advertising the sale. I thought it looked like it was tied into CSI (the shipping estimator was identical to CSI's) and then I looked at the bottom of the screen and saw Lenexa, KS for the address. They also sell CSI gear and price match (plus 10%) if you find something cheaper elsewhere.

Looks like they wanted a separate site to sell traditional martial arts and McDojo gear kind of like Mat Monster for wrestling. I will continually recommend these gloves when I see someone looking for suggestions. I have yet to hear anyone that's actually given them a shot say a bad word about them. I know Everlast's reputation is in the shitter, but I would echo the sentiments of LRjiujitsu. These gloves really are a diamond in the rough.

5. LRjiujitsu

LRjiujitsu Blue Belt

^^^
    besides my gladiator pro, its probably one of the best buys i made at 20$ lol.

6. Camgracie

Camgracie Yellow Belt

I really thank you for this, helped me take my decision on buying