ever watch a fight and see it closer than u remember

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
i watched the toney/holyfield fight again, an while toney obv had too much at this point in his career; i remembered it being totally one sided and when i watched it again, i just noticed evander having some solid if not very good moments in the fight. I mean it was not the blowout or domination i remember it being and while i still thought holyfield should retire even then, i saw to an extent why he felt he should still go ahead, cus he gave a fairly good account of himself based on age/etc

so have you guys watched a fight later and really seen it diff or is it always the same fight

i saw pac/marquez 2 and saw the same fight i saw the first time, but every once in awhile i will notice more things

Dude, Toney vs Holyfield WAS a blow out.

Yeah, the more times you watch a fight, the more likely you are to notice different things you didn't see the first time.

Morales Vs Barrera 1-3 . I can swing heavily on those fights at any given moment.

Barrera Hamed as well. It seems the more Marco is out of the mainstream, the less biased I am towards him in his fights.

The last Corrales/Casamayor fight. I remember thinking, "Wow, its not just the weight, Corrales is shot."

Then I saw it again and it was pretty competitive.

Morales Vs Barrera 1-3 . I can swing heavily on those fights at any given moment.

Barrera Hamed as well. It seems the more Marco is out of the mainstream, the less biased I am towards him in his fights.

Barrera/NAseem was embarassing for Naseem.

Off the top of my head, I really can't recall how competitive it was but NAseem came off looking foolish in that fight.

Off the top of my head, I really can't recall how competitive it was but NAseem came off looking foolish in that fight.

I always remembered it that way as well. Rewatching it, it wasn't the total domination i remembered it being. Again though, Barrera is a hero of mine, and it's hard to go against guys you grew up watching.

Yeh I felt the same rewatching the Barrera/Hamed fight, though Hamed was clearly beaten.

Quite a few fights I've seen were closer than I originally thought. The ones that stick out:

Leonard vs. Hearns 2 (not the outright robbery a lot of people make it out to be)
Junior Jones vs. Orlando Canizales
Hagler vs. Antuofermo 1 (again, not a robbery. Hagler did more damage but Vito scored a lot of points through volume)
Quartey vs. Vargas

And fights that were less competitive than I originally thought:

Arguello vs. Mancini - Arguello controlled the whole fight
Leonard vs. Hearns 1 - I thought Leonard was doing a good job stalking Hearns down
Ali vs. Foreman - Ali damn near won every round in my book before the stoppage

Arguello v Mancini is brutal. One of my favourite murders caught on film. Up there with that politician who shoots his head off.

naseem thought he'd knock him out so it was all 1 punch swinging haymakers.. barrera fooled him and boxed his head off..props to naz for not getting knocked out imo

I'm pretty fond of that one too. VS showed a couple of Arguello fights recently, Escalara II, Bosa Edwards and the last few rounds with Mancini. They interviewed Ray and he was saying how heart breaking it was because he felt like he was winning right up until Alexis lowered the boom on him. He referred to rounds 13-15 as Dog Rounds and said that's where Alexis made his money. He'd take you out to the deep water and drown you. LOL!!

S.

Arguello v Mancini is brutal. One of my favourite murders caught on film. Up there with that politician who shoots his head off.

Quite a few fights I've seen were closer than I originally thought. The ones that stick out:

Leonard vs. Hearns 2 (not the outright robbery a lot of people make it out to be)
Junior Jones vs. Orlando Canizales
Hagler vs. Antuofermo 1 (again, not a robbery. Hagler did more damage but Vito scored a lot of points through volume)
Quartey vs. Vargas

And fights that were less competitive than I originally thought:

Arguello vs. Mancini - Arguello controlled the whole fight
Leonard vs. Hearns 1 - I thought Leonard was doing a good job stalking Hearns down
Ali vs. Foreman - Ali damn near won every round in my book before the stoppage

Cero.....funny, I was thinking Antuofermo- Hagler and Mancini-Arguello the second I read the post title.....

I watched Antuofermo-Hagler live and had it 11-4 for Hagler. I recently rewatched the bout and saw a bunch of rounds that you could've given to Antuofermo by the slightest of margins.

And yes, Arguello controlled the whole bout against Mancini.....he was very subtle about it doing the little things that he made seem so effortless. Mancini brought the pressure as he always did.....but Arguello could've eaten a sandwich in the middle of the ring if he had wanted to.

Funny how you see a fight the first time.....and then a few years later you see it differently....No one was happier when Leonard got the decision over Hagler in 1987....It looked like Leonard outclassed him.....but now when I watch the fight I'm actually embarrassed for the judges....It was Hagler all the way with Leonard throwing round stealing, inconsequential flurries the last 30 seconds of each round. Robbery without a gun.

Yeah, Hagler was clearly landing more meaningful punches and Antuofermo couldn't hurt Hagler, but it doesn't change the fact that he had solid workrate in that fight.

Quite surprising that Mancini was winning the fight; didn't know that (not that it really matters!)

And yeah, Leonard vs. Hagler seemed to be somewhat scored based on the fighter's reputation more so than what was actually happening.

Yeah, Hagler was clearly landing more meaningful punches and Antuofermo couldn't hurt Hagler, but it doesn't change the fact that he had solid workrate in that fight.

Quite surprising that Mancini was winning the fight; didn't know that (not that it really matters!)

And yeah, Leonard vs. Hagler seemed to be somewhat scored based on the fighter's reputation more so than what was actually happening.

Nah, Leonard was just stealing the rounds and Hagler let him get away with it.

Sorry, no scorecard of 118-110 would have been turned in had it been someone other than Sugar Ray fighting that exact same fight.

Sorry, no scorecard of 118-110 would have been turned in had it been someone other than Sugar Ray fighting that exact same fight.

Oh, I guess I thought you were talking just the decision, not the actual scores.

Back