Ever tell someone to hold back?

no fat chicks

Worlds greatest poster
@Silver
Reaction score
First time back at my gym in a while
And i get paired up with a dude whose got pretty extensive ammy record. It's light sparring and i throw some wimpy 1 2s and leg kicks.

Out of know where he whips a body kick at me. Then he keeps trying to hit me with super hard hooks. All while wearing mma gloves mind you. Luckily the timer wasn't set so i got to just keep going full diaz on him and he actually quit from exhaustion and left class. . . I got lucky in the sense that he was smaller and less skilled. Had he been bigger and more experienced would I be in the right in telling him to chill?

And i get paired up with a dude whose got pretty extensive ammy record. It's light sparring and i throw some wimpy 1 2s and leg kicks.

Out of know where he whips a body kick at me. Then he keeps trying to hit me with super hard hooks. All while wearing mma gloves mind you. Luckily the timer wasn't set so i got to just keep going full diaz on him and he actually quit from exhaustion and left class. . . I got lucky in the sense that he was smaller and less skilled. Had he been bigger and more experienced would I be in the right in telling him to chill?
yes, you don't have to go all out sparring every time.

giphy.gif

lol it was pretty absurd, I had a few moments where I made clear I could have landed hard on him and held back. What does he do? Continues to load up on huge counter hooks and try and take my head off. . . I def dont want to give some dude at the same gym as me CTE or get into a fire fight and risk getting sparked myself.

Different people have different views on what constitutes light sparring. Most (not all) of the time, communication is key. Just tell him to go lighter. If he doesn't listen, hit him with a couple hard shots and tell him to tone it down again. If it still doesn't work, just walk away. Don't stay in there more than 3 min with a meathead.

9 out of 10 people are this way unfortunately. I was taught to have a nice guy attitude in scenarios like this. Regardless of skill level, tell them to turn it down, if they dont you can then make the decision to either ask them again, stop sparring with them, or fight them.

So long story short, yes

I normally don’t tell people to hold back. However I have notice that I improved the most by implementing relatively slow/ light sparring. Now I’m a big believer in putting in high volume of training with light intensity.

Yep, all the time. I don't have anything to prove, and I don't/can't risk getting big injuries, especially concussions. I say right at the start with new partners - "let's keep it chill. If you want to go hard, find someone else."
I'm in my 40's so keep that in mind, too.

Not everyone would be as cool as you about that but I respect it , me personally If we arnt on the same page about how we are going to spar I'm only going to take 2 or 3 shots like that and then I'm throwing speed and counter power back

When i'm not feeling it. I tell them to go light. When i am, i just go with da flow.

Yeah communication is key. Its seen as a bitch move to "talk", but its gets things through, if after requesting they drop heat 2x, I just bang with em

Of course . You can agree to anything it's your brain health.

Yeah communication is key. Its seen as a bitch move to "talk", but its gets things through, if after requesting they drop heat 2x, I just bang with em

Are you someone who does sparring ? How did just bang work out for you ?

I used to be the guy they got to spar the thugs/bullys. I seemed to be alright in dealing with them without injuring them (85kg, pretty fit, alright technically if I do say so myself).

Regardless my sparring style used to be go light and learn.
If people get tagged and heat starts to rise I would remind them you can have 100% intention but like 10% power.
I would then maybe up the pace and get some light tags in and then take control and slow them back down once they got the hint.

2 strikes would be if they upped it. At that point I would increase the power to maybe 50%. I would never hit the head hard, but maybe body and legs.

3 strikes- only happened 2-3 times and by that point a lot of the fight is gone from people once their legs aren't working so well.

If they are competent, a few words will calm them down once they realise what they are doing.

Some people just have bad days though.

And some people are cunts.

Back