Ever hurt your jaw sparring?

mrsneakyz28

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Well last week was my first week back 100% training and sparring after a foot injury. Well on Saturday I ended up getting injured again x2. I have an old acl injury in my left knee that hasn't given me any problems in about 2 years, but in the first sparring round I threw a kick at the same time as my partner and his shin ended up landing on my knee cap. It hurt for a minute but then was fine and I was able to complete the sparring with no problem. I just thought it was bruised but then while working the next evening it began to swell up and has been ever since causing me to have a slight pimp walk.

Anyway also that day the last guy I sparred was a noob. He was a young guy, by the way he acts I think he was fresh outta high school but he could be 19-20. Just from training with him I knew he was going to be kind of a spaz in sparring, so when we began I kind of threw some really soft jabs to let him know we were going light. Nonetheless he comes out swinging like he's trying to ko me. But instead of being a dick I took it easy, moved hit him with some jabs and light body shots. The more he got tagged the more spastic he got and eventually starting throwing head down haymakers and flailing in close. So I started to work my clinch game to calm him down. Well the second time I got him in the clinch, coach yells break after he didnt do much to get out of it, I don't know if he didnt hear that or if he was just being a douche bag, but when I let him out of the clinch I had my chin up hands down and was not biting down on my mouth guard because I thought we were just going to reset. As soon as I let him up he throws a hard hook that catches me on the bottom of my chin which made my jaw move to the side and I heard a pop. I could tell something got fucked up right then. Coach saw this and tells us to reset, so I go back to my corner pissed. First thing I do when we come out is throw about an 85% head kick that nearly drops him, dude comes back and throws a haymaker, which I duck under and hit him with a hard right cross to the nose followed by a hook to the body that does drop him. Needless to say he backed the fuck off and hopefully learned his lesson. But now I'm fucking pissed because I think my jaw is sprained, I cannot fully open it without it hurting like shit, which means trouble eating...and I fucking love my food! I'm just kind of upset that I just got back from an injury and left with 2 more...from sparring for godsakes!

But yeah anyone that has injured or sprained their jaw, how long did it take until it got better? Or better yet how long until you started sparring again? Knowing me I'll probably be back this saturday...

Well the second time I got him in the clinch, coach yells break after he didnt do much to get out of it, I don't know if he didnt hear that or if he was just being a douche bag, but when I let him out of the clinch I had my chin up hands down and was not biting down on my mouth guard because I thought we were just going to reset. As soon as I let him up he throws a hard hook that catches me on the bottom of my chin which made my jaw move to the side and I heard a pop. I could tell something got fucked up right then. Coach saw this and tells us to reset, so I go back to my corner pissed. First thing I do when we come out is throw about an 85% head kick that nearly drops him, dude comes back and throws a haymaker, which I duck under and hit him with a hard right cross to the nose followed by a hook to the body that does drop him. Needless to say he backed the fuck off and hopefully learned his lesson. But now I'm fucking pissed because I think my jaw is sprained, I cannot fully open it without it hurting like shit, which means trouble eating...and I fucking love my food! I'm just kind of upset that I just got back from an injury and left with 2 more...from sparring for godsakes!

Shit, doesn't sound like a very productive session there. People who take sparring personally/emotionally like that get on my nerves. Is the pain more of a dull ache or a sharp one when you open your jaw? Either way, ice that sucker and if it's not better by Sat. I would get it checked out. I don't mean to play e-doctor but you don't really wanna fuck around with your jaw.

I dont even bother trying to fully extend my jaw because it will hurt like a motherfucker at this point. Its like having lockjaw and forcing it open just more painful. Basically it only hurts when I try to open it past a certain point. My wife thinks its sprained.

i had my jaw broke right after my wisdom teeth were pulled and freashly sewn shut.but my jaw also popped.now when i move it hard from side to side the right side pops my wife is a hygenist and her dentist told me it was from everythinggetting strechedout and dont worry it most likely won't heal.now when i get hit hard and it jacks my jaw it hurts and feels like my molars arnt touching the mouth piece but its kinda good to let me know when i have been hit really hard i use it as a reminder to get my hands up it usually takes 2 days to go away completely for me...

I've had the jaw thing before. It might be sore the next day some, but it will be good after a day or two.

No, but my sparring partners have hurt my jaw.

Anyway also that day the last guy I sparred was a noob. He was a young guy, by the way he acts I think he was fresh outta high school but he could be 19-20. Just from training with him I knew he was going to be kind of a spaz in sparring, so when we began I kind of threw some really soft jabs to let him know we were going light. Nonetheless he comes out swinging like he's trying to ko me. But instead of being a dick I took it easy, moved hit him with some jabs and light body shots. The more he got tagged the more spastic he got and eventually starting throwing head down haymakers and flailing in close. .

lol, i once boxed this guy who was fresh, and it was almost the same story as you. I went out with a couple weak jabs and a half assed guard, and ate a vicious one two, kinda thought my nose was broken. The whole round was the guy was trying to kill me. It sucked, but it implanted and reinforced that one essential rule in my head. Protect yourself at all times. LOL..ah.. so simple yet so significant.

yeah but anyways dude, it sucks fighting a spazzer, but we were all once there ourselves.

Hope your jaw aint fuxed for good. I once ate a loopy hook to my jaw during backyard boxing. Couldnt chew for like a good day. I got hit around the area behind the ear to be exact. Its a real good place to aim for when you box, you either clip em in the jaw or stun them by connecting on the back of the ear.

lol, i once boxed this guy who was fresh, and it was almost the same story as you. I went out with a couple weak jabs and a half assed guard, and ate a vicious one two, kinda thought my nose was broken. The whole round was the guy was trying to kill me. It sucked, but it implanted and reinforced that one essential rule in my head. Protect yourself at all times. LOL..ah.. so simple yet so significant.

yeah but anyways dude, it sucks fighting a spazzer, but we were all once there ourselves.

Hope your jaw aint fuxed for good. I once ate a loopy hook to my jaw during backyard boxing. Couldnt chew for like a good day. I got hit around the area behind the ear to be exact. Its a real good place to aim for when you box, you either clip em in the jaw or stun them by connecting on the back of the ear.

But the funny part is I never was! I got all my experience getting punched at back in highschool participating in well over 50+ backyard boxing matches. So when I had my first sparring session everyone afterwards asked me how long I had been sparring, and when I said it was my first time they were all surprised how calm I was and that I didnt spaz out at all. But even when we backyard boxed I was one of the few guys that would actually try to box instead of throw haymakers. I just really wasnt expecting my training partner to hit me with a cheap shot like that. But like you said, lesson learned, protect yo self at all times!!! And its been 4 days and I still cant chew right or fully open my jaw...fuck.

mrs. neaky, i had the same thing happen to me - i never went to the doctor but i'm convinced there was a fracture in my jaw

there is nothing worse than newbies sparring for the first time going all out - you can tell them a 100 times 'this is all about control and learning what you practice in class' but it never works

i had a guy who was 4 inches taller than me and always going 100% in class when learning techniques - anyway, he finally came to sparring class on a saturday and of course i was put up against him. i knew he was going to bullrush me so when our trainer said 'fight' he came right at me and all i did was push kick him in the solar plexus, putthing him on his ass.

he didnt expect it and got up and did the exact same thing except i just put out a medium strengthed jab which landed on his chin and again he was on his backside. he didnt come to sparring class again lol

mrs. neaky, i had the same thing happen to me - i never went to the doctor but i'm convinced there was a fracture in my jaw

there is nothing worse than newbies sparring for the first time going all out - you can tell them a 100 times 'this is all about control and learning what you practice in class' but it never works

i had a guy who was 4 inches taller than me and always going 100% in class when learning techniques - anyway, he finally came to sparring class on a saturday and of course i was put up against him. i knew he was going to bullrush me so when our trainer said 'fight' he came right at me and all i did was push kick him in the solar plexus, putthing him on his ass.

he didnt expect it and got up and did the exact same thing except i just put out a medium strengthed jab which landed on his chin and again he was on his backside. he didnt come to sparring class again lol

lol good story, its Mr Sneaky btw.

I also learnt my lesson the hard way going easy on noobs

Now unless they are really cool, any hint of them going 'spaz' and i immediately raise my game to 50-60% and shut them down fast

Noobs who have no skill or control but are naturally quite big and strong are the most dangerous. If a guy outweighs me by 20Kg, it's hard to go easy and control their wildness so you have to give em a few decent shots so they don't charge in thinking this game is easy.

I disagree with this statement. Even when starting off as a beginner in boxing and MT, i always respected the senior students and i knew when i started sparring that they were going easy on me, so i never went spazzer. But i grew up taking a few different traditional MAs and say what you like about traditional MAs, they do teach you respect and etiquette. Something i don't always see in boxing gyms

"Mrs. Neaky" that's classic.

Anyway bro, I started training (loosely) in Muay Thai when I was 16 and I got rocked like that when I wasn't clinching my mouthpiece. It pretty much (directly or indirectly I'm not sure) has left me with a mild case of TMJ. It doesn't really bother me at all other than my jaw slightly popping every once in a while and if I chew something really tough it might get a lil sore, but it's never bothered me when sparring.

Bummer man. This kind of injury happens to everyone. I'm nursing a messed up jaw right now actually.

I think you learned a lesson this time - if someone comes out trying to hit too hard and doesn't calm down, you need to put them in their place BEFORE they hurt you.

Hurting as I type. Local bar here has a "Fight Night" with a ring and everything. They call it sparring but of course everyone is trying to knock their opponent out. Somehow, I ended up signing up and making my "sparring" debut. Yep, that's right. I've never even sparred before.

My nose and throat hurt too. :D

More details in my S&P log if you want the full story.

yes.... had my jaw dislocated....... couldnt talk until it was re-situated.... hurt like hell....was able to start training again late the next day,

yeah my jaw is jacked up from sparring, I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with it but I can pop it out of place slightly on either side...it doesn't really cause a problem though, it's just slightly annoying. If I'm biting down on my mouthguard it doesn't move at all

No, Ive never hurt my jaw sparring. I have however broke my hands quite a few times now.

Arthritis, Ive already got it in my knee's but Im not looking forward to the hand problems once they start to arise.

Back