Ever had tendonitis from bench press?

Kim Jong Un

Absolute Boss
@Brown
Reaction score
So lately I have been making a lot of gains in the bench, but this weird thing started happening where I am feeling a slight pain in my forearms and google search makes me suspect it is tendonitis. I am only 10 lbs away from acheiving my goal so I dont want to stop but at the same time I know tendonitis could derail me for 2+ months if it gets worse. Its weird though because it doesnt seem like the forearms really do anything in a bench press. I feel it the most when I am trying to slowly lower the weight. Anyone else experienced this?

yes. In fact, I don't know any experienced bencher without recurring elbow tendonitis.
tumblr_inline_mh6w3x4UQX1qz6f4b.gif

Does it happen during any type of curls? If its in the elbow too, does it happen during dips, skull crushers, or any other type of tricep exercise, shoulder presses? Also, do you train a martial art where you are putting a strain on that muscle group?

Are you benching all the time?

How many productive uses of your time are spent lying on your back?

Are you deloading to allow your body to regenerate?

Its weird though because it doesnt seem like the forearms really do anything in a bench press.
All that power is transmitted through your forearms, wrist and hands. As your lifts get heavier, these structures will become increasingly stressed.

Does it happen during any type of curls? If its in the elbow too, does it happen during dips, skull crushers, or any other type of tricep exercise, shoulder presses? Also, do you train a martial art where you are putting a strain on that muscle group?
I never do curls specifically because I used to get pains in my wrists and forearms doing them. I do those other workouts though and I never get it from them.

Are you using wrist wraps?
No.

Are you benching all the time?
I try to do every other day but sometimes I will be too busy to stick to that.

Are you deloading to allow your body to regenerate?
I have never heard of deloading.

All that power is transmitted through your forearms, wrist and hands. As your lifts get heavier, these structures will become increasingly stressed.
Ya makes sense. My strategy has been to do slightly less weight but with slower reps and it has been working so far.

I never do curls specifically because I used to get pains in my wrists and forearms doing them. I do those other workouts though and I never get it from them.

No.

I try to do every other day but sometimes I will be too busy to stick to that.

I have never heard of deloading.

Ya makes sense. My strategy has been to do slightly less weight but with slower reps and it has been working so far.

my training partner does a lot oft benching, curls, dips and pull ups. he progresses good and fast and chases the gains. he experiences forearm pain lately. it's some normal form of overuse or upping the volume/weight fast.

i got it from a lot of push ups, dips and pull ups.

try to keep your wrists neutral while benching.

i really benefited from warming up more and stretching both directions of the wrist before workouts.
daily stretching and general joint mobility exercises is a good thing to do.

t4.jpg

t-dehngolf.jpg

Last edited:
So lately I have been making a lot of gains in the bench, but this weird thing started happening where I am feeling a slight pain in my forearms and google search makes me suspect it is tendonitis. I am only 10 lbs away from acheiving my goal so I dont want to stop but at the same time I know tendonitis could derail me for 2+ months if it gets worse. Its weird though because it doesnt seem like the forearms really do anything in a bench press. I feel it the most when I am trying to slowly lower the weight. Anyone else experienced this?

I've had it on and off for over a year now. After much rehab and finally sort of shaking it I started benching again and instantly got tendonitis again. I went 10 years of benching without issue and now it looks like I may never bench again. I'd advise backing off asap and trying to attack the problem, then build up again.

my training partner does a lot oft benching, curls, dips and pull ups. he progresses good and fast and chases the gains. he experiences forearm pain lately. it's some normal form of overuse or upping the volume/weight fast.

i really benefited from warming up more and stretching both directions of the wrist before workouts.

t4.jpg

t-dehngolf.jpg

Both of the above stretches are great, though I like to do them kneeling on the floor i.e. press your palm or the back of your hand into the ground. Easier than using your hand as leverage.

I also use a peanut to roll the back of my forearm/triceps. you can also use a barbell for this i.e. straighten your arm with palm up and grind into part of barbell that turns (where plates go).

I've had it in my elbow before, not forearms.

Something else to consider is having someone with a lot of bench experience watch you do the movement. Maybe your form is off and you're unaware of it and the additional unnecessary stress on your body are causing these problems (i.e. a more stressful angle).

If it is more about not stopping and working around the injury, try switching it up to either or a mix of dumbbells, a machine or smith-machine type set up. Give your body a break from whatever it is you are doing and see if it clears up, then go back to it. If you still have issues with bench press, you may have to stick to one of those other exercises, as it may not be for you.

You could try the theraband flexbar. Idk if it works for forearms but it helped a ton with my elbow tendinitis. If you do get it go with the blue one

~DaViD~

Absolutely. It’s part of it. In training I put compression cuffs on my forearms sometimes. Seems to help.

Never use wristwraps and also grip the bar do not let hand just fold while benching. You need to be able to control the weigth not only press it. Also reduce reps while doing heavier, aim for good reps instead volume.

t4.jpg

t-dehngolf.jpg
These dont help with benchpress... stretching is not always the answer. You have to make your grip stronger so you grip the bar instead of only holding it.

Jim Russel mentioned hammer curls and rear delt flys to me once and I have used them ever since, both have helped. I have done stretches similar to the ones corpse mentioned and they also helped. I also changed the way I wrapped my wrists, making it tighter and covering more area. Back and upper back work are also a big help when trying to stay pain free while benching.

These dont help with benchpress... stretching is not always the answer. You have to make your grip stronger so you grip the bar instead of only holding it.

yeah, could be that only stretching doesn't fix your pain, that's right. i made the experience that most people don't warm up thoroughly. moving the wrist while doing bench or pull ups can also put a lot of strain on the epicondylus muscles.

Back