ever feel like you'd be a better instructor?

I kind of can agree with a lot of what Sloth said, but I don't think you can be a really good teacher and be bad at competition. I think if you can teach it, you can execute it, because you understand (at whatever level and age level). I don't in any way believe that those two rolls can be mutually exclusive. I've seen guys and been taught by people that seemed like good teachers, but hit the competition mat and they couldn't execute shit. It wasn't a matter of athleticism or age, it was what works for teaching vs. what actually works in real life.

Sometimes I think I could explain something better than my instructors, but that's ONLY because of a language barrier.

Brazilian instructors' explanations of techniques are usually like "OK guys, what I gonna do?" "Remember, I gotta puuush here, bridge, and then I gonna eep scape, and replace the gward... OK guys? Remember..."

I'm sure if they spoke perfect English their technique explanations would also be much better than however I would explain them.

Id have to disagree with you, I think that although words are important, they are many times over emphasized by people.

For example, guys like ari bolden have this technique that I caught on, they show a technique and throw in a million and one details, philosophies and points, and that makes some people believe he is legit and a good teacher. IMO totally opposite, he does that to make up for lack of technique, but thats a whole other topic.

now, I think the most important thing is that the instructor can show his movement, when he moves, how he moves, and his exact intents THROUGH movement when showing a technique. I think an instructor who can convey that to students is a good instructor, and he does not necesarrily need to speak good english to do so.

I have an instructor who does not speak english well at all, but when he shows moves almost all of the time i have no questions and i get it down right away since he showed it properly. The same goes for the rest of the students, no matter what rank.

I kind of can agree with a lot of what Sloth said, but I don't think you can be a really good teacher and be bad at competition. I think if you can teach it, you can execute it, because you understand (at whatever level and age level). I don't in any way believe that those two rolls can be mutually exclusive. I've seen guys and been taught by people that seemed like good teachers, but hit the competition mat and they couldn't execute shit. It wasn't a matter of athleticism or age, it was what works for teaching vs. what actually works in real life.
i have to disagree. you can't judge a person as a teacher by anything but his students.

Back