Europeans some of the best boxers?

Niels

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I might be wrong on this, but lately some of the best boxers seem to be European.

Klitschko (retired), Usyk, Lomachenko, GGG (european/asian), AJ, Fury...

When and why did this change or am i just completely wrong on this and has there always been a divided array of high-skill boxers?

I might be wrong on this, but lately some of the best boxers seem to be European.

When and why did this change or am i just completely wrong on this and has there always been a divided array of high-skill boxers?

Eastern European’s starting to dominate the higher weight classes. Septics still rule the world of boxing by a fair margin, but not anywhere near like it used to be. Us brits are doing pretty fcking well at the moment as well

European fighters never went away. Always there or thereabouts

In the Eastern block they train like hell from a young age.
When you look at the past 5 olympic games, you'll notice that the Eastern Block, Cuba and Great Britain were dominant. Understand though that the sport of boxing INSIDE those countries has a loooong history and didn't gain popularity in recent past.

Andre Ward and Clarissa Shields were the only US boxers that were able to assert themselves and walk away with gold.

As far as the heavyweight division goes, we just have to accept that the great north american athletes elect football and basketball over boxing. Who can blame them?

In the Eastern block they train like hell from a young age.
When you look at the past 5 olympic games, you'll notice that the Eastern Block, Cuba and Great Britain were dominant. Understand though that the sport of boxing INSIDE those countries has a loooong history and didn't gain popularity in recent past.

Andre Ward and Clarissa Shields were the only US boxers that were able to assert themselves and walk away with gold.

As far as the heavyweight division goes, we just have to accept that the great north american athletes elect football and basketball over boxing. Who can blame them?

Most of the larger British/Aussie/kiwi/South African athletes choose rugby rather than box. It’s no different really

Last edited:
Well in the case of the fighters from Ukraine they really developed a modern amateur style of fighting which was an evolution of the old school soviet style of amateur boxing which focused on a very straight up high guard and straight punches. The modern Ukrainian fighters have a very different style and they rely much more on clever footwork to cut angles and avoid punches. They are much more mobile and they mix up lighter shots with heavier shots to lull opponents into a false sense of security. Usyk and Lomachenko typify this style.

Ukraine have had a very strong amateur program and we've seen a lot of these guys come through into the pro game. They use some of the most modern techniques in the sport to train their fighters and Anatoly Lomachenko was one of the head coaches in the Ukrainian Amateur program. His 'Hi-tech' approach to boxing training is legendary and he uses lots of unusual training methods to get the job done. A lot of the tricks that Vasyl Lomachenko does are based on Anatoly's training methods.

For British boxers our success has a lot to do with the money we put into amateur boxing. We regularly produce medallists at the Olympics and a lot of those guys have gone onto to do well in the professional ranks. Amateur boxing is responsible for a lot of the best pro fighters.

For British boxers our success has a lot to do with the money we put into amateur boxing. We regularly produce medallists at the Olympics and a lot of those guys have gone onto to do well in the professional ranks..

Yea, but even that is related to Eddie Hearn's witchcraft. Eddie Hearn hypnotizes the british amateurs, which gives them an edge over their opponents. Eddie Hearn is also Theresa May's secret adviser and guides her through the whole Brexit process. Do you agree?

Yea, but even that is related to Eddie Hearn's witchcraft. Eddie Hearn hypnotizes the british amateurs, which gives them an edge over their opponents. Eddie Hearn is also Theresa May's secret adviser and guides her through the whole Brexit process. Do you agree?
Oh so your rustled! Get over it mate. You couldn't answer my points when you had the chance.

Oh so your rustled! Get over it mate. You couldn't answer my points when you had the chance.

LOL no, I merely got tired of your nonsense. You have the intellect of a toddler.

LOL no, I merely got tired of your nonsense. You have the intellect of a toddler.
Yeah right, that's why you couldn't formulate a rational reply to my points, so if I'm a toddler that must make you something akin to a single-celled amoeba. That's fine if you want to duck out, but just admit it.

Temperament. Boxing requires arduous adherence to a formula, that formula works when implemented rigidly. Eastern Europeans have a worker bee mentality that isn't as common stateside, we appreciate unconventional style maybe a bit too much.
They stick to the formula, and tend to pass on anything showy/flamboyant. But what they lack in intangibles they make up for with such commitment to the basics at all costs

Well in the case of the fighters from Ukraine they really developed a modern amateur style of fighting which was an evolution of the old school soviet style of amateur boxing which focused on a very straight up high guard and straight punches. The modern Ukrainian fighters have a very different style and they rely much more on clever footwork to cut angles and avoid punches. They are much more mobile and they mix up lighter shots with heavier shots to lull opponents into a false sense of security. Usyk and Lomachenko typify this style.

Ukraine have had a very strong amateur program and we've seen a lot of these guys come through into the pro game. They use some of the most modern techniques in the sport to train their fighters and Anatoly Lomachenko was one of the head coaches in the Ukrainian Amateur program. His 'Hi-tech' approach to boxing training is legendary and he uses lots of unusual training methods to get the job done. A lot of the tricks that Vasyl Lomachenko does are based on Anatoly's training methods.

For British boxers our success has a lot to do with the money we put into amateur boxing. We regularly produce medallists at the Olympics and a lot of those guys have gone onto to do well in the professional ranks. Amateur boxing is responsible for a lot of the best pro fighters.

Lottery funding of the amateurs has made a huge difference to the sport in Britain

Lottery funding of the amateurs has made a huge difference to the sport in Britain
Yeah definitely. I'm glad they realised that Boxing in the UK was a sport worth investing in as we can be really good at it.

USA and Mexico shits on all of them.
USA, Mexico, and Japan are running things right now

Cubans are better, by a lot. They rule the ammys like the Americans rule the pros. Which is mindblowing for such a small country. Only reason you don't hear about them is because of the ongoing embargo.

I don't know much about that, can you elaborate?

The British Olympic team started to receive funding back in the mid to late 90’s. We’ve seen a big increase in success since then but most of these guys have filtered in to the pros. Most of our current champions like yafai, Edwards, josh Taylor, Joshua, BJS are all products of this. Also lee Selby, groves, de gale, joe Joyce, Amir Khan (and loads more). It’s made a huge difference to the success of British boxing in amateur and pro ranks

There's a few Europeans. There's a couple good Asians too like GGG.

The British Olympic team started to receive funding back in the mid to late 90’s. We’ve seen a big increase in success since then but most of these guys have filtered in to the pros. Most of our current champions like yafai, Edwards, josh Taylor, Joshua, BJS are all products of this. Also lee Selby, groves, de gale, joe Joyce, Amir Khan (and loads more). It’s made a huge difference to the success of British boxing in amateur and pro ranks

As much as I like to criticise Khan, he was a real catalyst in the mid 00s. He ticked lots of boxes in the 2004 Olympics; young, exciting style, representing Britain but also identifying as British Pakistani. His rematch with Kindelan was huge and did great viewing figures.

He was also offered money to stay amateur, but decided to go pro instead.

AJ is African. Do you call European fighters who train in America - American? I guess no.
GG is from Asia.
Klitschkos are retired.

This thread reminds me of another failed thread - "Soviet bloc fighters are the best".

Back