European football: how to pick a team to support?

Choosing a team is stupid. You either grow up as a fan, preferably in the same geographic location or you're a gloryhunter.

Just watch the big games and stop pretending to be a hardcore supporter.

Choosing a team is stupid. You either grow up as a fan, preferably in the same geographic location or you're a gloryhunter.

Just watch the big games and stop pretending to be a hardcore supporter.

You have to start somewhere, and watching "big" games just doesn't get you into it as when you're watching a team you support like matburn H said. I've been watching the random games they shows on FS and NBCSN and while they are entertaining, it's mostly meaningless since I don't know who is who and who is good at what and what teams or leagues I can expect to see play each other. I only recently got the hang of which teams play in which leagues (for the most part). I was even getting exciting about some UEFA Champions league games on FS but just found out in this thread that they were preseason games.

If you have class choice Real Madrid or Manchester city.
]

95417.jpg

TS Manchester City is your team.

Or don't pick one.

I've lived in So Cal close to 25yrs & never took on supporting a Club from the US' 4 major sports. It's quite liberating watching NFL as a neutral with no emotional ties.

Being a lifelong Mansfield Town fan i've also enjoyed the same watching the Premiership too though :p

Or don't pick one.

I've lived in So Cal close to 25yrs & never took on supporting a Club from the US' 4 major sports. It's quite liberating watching NFL as a neutral with no emotional ties.

Being a lifelong Mansfield Town fan i've also enjoyed the same watching the Premiership too though :p

Agreed.

Just start watching European football regularly, and you will find yourself starting to gravitate yourself more and more to a certain club...whether it's because of the teams playing style, the clubs fans, clubs philosophy or something as simple as the clubs main kit and history. I don't see how you can pick a club before even watching them regularly.

Cheers.

exciting rich all star teams

real madrid
barcelona
chelsea
manchester city
bayern

everyone else is poor and boring LOL

You have to start somewhere, and watching "big" games just doesn't get you into it as when you're watching a team you support like matburn H said. I've been watching the random games they shows on FS and NBCSN and while they are entertaining, it's mostly meaningless since I don't know who is who and who is good at what and what teams or leagues I can expect to see play each other. I only recently got the hang of which teams play in which leagues (for the most part). I was even getting exciting about some UEFA Champions league games on FS but just found out in this thread that they were preseason games.

Fair enough. I guess you are just starting out. Follow the glamour English sides, select Champions League and some Barcelona/Real games in La Liga. But yeah I can see how that seems imposing, but in a year or so you'll be familiar with all the big names.

What I meant by significant games are the big English sides playing each other (although they are kinda overrated at the moment lol), all the Champions League knockout games (not that many) and El Clasico (any Barca v Real). In the past I would have also recommended the Milan derby but it's not the same anymore.

Don't bother with cup games or Europa league unless it's down to the wire.

Last edited:
I was thinking Chelsea solely because they're the Blues and my favorite hockey team is the Blues so it makes sense.

but we bought Neymar and Suarez bro

Hey I never said we were classy, shit we are currently serving a transfer ban. The point was the illusion of class of those clubs. :cool:

exciting rich all star teams

real madrid
barcelona
chelsea
manchester city
bayern

everyone else is poor and boring LOL

Chelsea exciting? Fuck they are famous for being boring. Facepalm.gif

Hey I never said we were classy, shit we are currently serving a transfer ban. The point was the illusion of class of those clubs. :cool:

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Back