European football: how to pick a team to support?

Liverpool always has the best mix of excitement, heartbreak, droughts, wins, etc
The quality and ability to self hate will always get you respect.

Same with Dortmund.

I'd go with Valencia if you want to get into La liga

Borussia Dortmund,obviously

63G_April_Choreo_Suedtribuene_bvbnachrichtenbild_regular.jpg

This, imo.

Root for Atletico Madrid. It's thanks to them that la liga doesn't look like a 2 horse race anymore. Also somewhat thanks to Valencia and Sevilla but atletico is a stronger team. Also el cholo simeone is a genius.

Support Arsenal

GOATs:

CNnsFCLXAAEgyVb.png

CNh0hHIWwAAma1W.png

So you "usually root for underdogs" but current Man U doesn't have enough star power?

Work on your GED first, then get into soccer.

Hopefully not all soccer fans are as dickish as you seem. A team can have star power but not be favorites or even a winning team. I support the NFL's Houston Texans and they have JJ Watt so it's fun to watch them on defense. See how that works? Also you ignored how I wrote "usually" as in not always.

Isn't Howard still on hiatus? Dempsey played for an EPL team I think but now he's with Seattle in the MLS. I can't think of any top Americans playing in any of the European leagues besides those two.

Howard never took a hiatus from Everton, just the national team. He's back from that now anyway. Brad Guzan is on Aston Villa, but beside that I don't think there's anyone else.

A few things to consider:

1. Do you want a team that will compete for the Champions League (the Super Bowl of Europeon soccer)? If so your choices are down to about four teams at the moment, that will change unless you choose an English team. England has the most money in their domestic league (by far) but teams haven't been competitive in continental competitions recently. I don't see that changing any time soon.

2. Do you want to be respected by other soccer fans? If so don't choose Man U, Real Madrid, or Barcelona. Rooting for them is easy and most of their American fans are clueless. If you want a team that will win but won't be as shameful to root for look at the Juventus, Borussia Dortmund, and Tottenhams of the world.

3. Consider rooting for a team in a city you are likely to visit. Could you ever see yourself spending thousands of dollars to visit Liverpool or Leverkusen?

4. Don't root for Arsenal, 92% of their fans are convicted sex offenders. No joke, Osama Bin Laden was a huge Arsenal fan.

5. English teams are the easiest to follow in America, all Premiere League games are available on the NBC sports app and you can easily find their games on TV. Like I said, don't expect them to win games outside of their domestic league but it makes being a fan easier.

6. Again, DO NOT ROOT FOR ARSENAL. I can't be any clearer on this. Just say no.

A big part of it is figuring out what all these national leagues and champion leagues are and who qualifies for what. I only recently got the hang of tournaments for CONCACAF and the regional divisions like CONMEBOL and UEFA. I'm still not sure which championships matter and are worth watching, as the CONCACAF Gold Cup was a bit of a letdown for US fans but didn't seem to matter much. Then they had some champions league games in the US featuring European teams playing MLS teams, but Messi and Neymar didn't play for Barcelona because they had played in the Copa America for CONMEBOL. It's all such a mess, it makes it even harder to pick a team instead of just going with national loyalties, but then which team do you support when national team members play on opposing teams in league play?

Being able to watch a team is an important factor, of course. With FS1 and 2 playing UEFA and Bundesliga games and NBCSN playing EPL, I'll probably stick with an EPL team. I don't care about seeming like a bandwagon fan either. I appreciate amazing skill and talent, and will watch any team that consistently has that on display in lieu of any more concrete reason to support them.

Howard never took a hiatus from Everton, just the national team. He's back from that now anyway. Brad Guzan is on Aston Villa, but beside that I don't think there's anyone else.

IC. I don't think I'd follow a team based on their goalie though. I never did as a hockey fan anyway.

Julian Green Bayern Munich
Technically

Just to let you know, fetal is Jared Fogel's alt account so just be wary of anything he posts.

Just be a glory hunter, bro, can't no one tell you to quell your passion

I recommend Real Madrid ( Spain ) and Manchester City ( England ). Spain has the best competition and England has a fun competition.

FC Barcelona ( Spain ) is excellent, but their refined passing can be boring. Just like Bayern M

I'd be happy with awesome passing and high scoring which I'm sure Barcelona would provide. I couldn't support Bayern Munchen because Robben plays for them and I can't stand that diving piece of crap.

Supporting Barca is the wrong move if you want to avoid diving pieces of crap.

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_biscuitsshakey.gif

You should rename this thread, "suggest soccer teams for me to support so I can tell you why I won't support them."

Supporring Barca is the wrong move if you want to avoid diving pieces of crap.

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_biscuitsshakey.gif

It's funny that Arsenal fans seem to be the most adament anti-diving fans but their players fly around the pitch more than any other team in the PL

69b0621275b80b8a01142aaab5b47986_large

A big part of it is figuring out what all these national leagues and champion leagues are and who qualifies for what. I only recently got the hang of tournaments for CONCACAF and the regional divisions like CONMEBOL and UEFA. I'm still not sure which championships matter and are worth watching, as the CONCACAF Gold Cup was a bit of a letdown for US fans but didn't seem to matter much. Then they had some champions league games in the US featuring European teams playing MLS teams, but Messi and Neymar didn't play for Barcelona because they had played in the Copa America for CONMEBOL. It's all such a mess, it makes it even harder to pick a team instead of just going with national loyalties, but then which team do you support when national team members play on opposing teams in league play?

Being able to watch a team is an important factor, of course. With FS1 and 2 playing UEFA and Bundesliga games and NBCSN playing EPL, I'll probably stick with an EPL team. I don't care about seeming like a bandwagon fan either. I appreciate amazing skill and talent, and will watch any team that consistently has that on display in lieu of any more concrete reason to support them.

That was a preseason Tournament.

Soccer season in Europe is roughly from mid august to mid may,except for some scandinavian and eastern european countries with horrid cold winters.

If you choose an EPL side you have these competitions to care for:
-EPL
-FA cup
-League cup (or whatever the name is now)

If your Team qualified for European competition:
-Champions League: Features all the top teams along with some no hoper Top teams from irrelevant countries (Greece,Russia,Kazakhstan,Israel)

-Europa League: Features Teams who didnt qualify for the Champions league but qualified for this.In England for example 5th-8th place EPL Teams qualified for the EL.2 are already out during EL qualification though

Your team has Sergio Busquets on it, dapsy.

I mean we're talking about Busquets, man.

Back