International EU Commission proposes blocking billions in funds to Hungary

panem-et-circenses

In the garden
Reaction score
At issue is a tad over €13 billion: €7.5 billion in ‘cohesion funds’ (i.e. regular subsidies to help out poorer states) and €5.8 billion in Covid recovery funds. Both would normally have gone to Hungary without serious question. However, these are not normal times. Brussels has arguments with Hungary about what it refers to as rule of law issues: judicial independence; areas seen as corrupt or nepotistic; public procurement laws; and accounting for EU funds. There are also points of disagreement on matters of social policy: notably LGBT rights and migration.”

From the Spectator:

Liberals in western EU countries, who hate Viktor Orbán’s Fidesz party with a vengeance, have rejoiced at these measures, which they see as long overdue steps to bring into line a maverick state they regard as a democratic backslider. But anyone concerned for the future of Europe should think more carefully about the possible complications they may cause.

A little time ago there was an informal agreement that, provided Hungary undertook some 17 legal measures such as setting up an independent anti-corruption body and allowing the (admittedly rather ineffective) European fraud office to carry out investigations in the country, the funds should be released.

The difficulty was that this did not satisfy a number of hawks in Brussels, who just over a week ago persuaded the European parliament to pass a resolution demanding that the EU ask a great deal more. The result is the present impasse. The 17 measures have become 27 so-called ‘super milestones’. . .

AP:

The European Union’s executive branch recommended Wednesday that billions of euros of EU funds allocated to Hungary remain frozen over its failure to implement solid rule-of-law reforms, a move highlighting the growing rift between the EU’s traditional Western democratic values and its partner’s democratic backsliding.

The EU’s 27 nations have until Dec. 19 to take a decision based on the Commission’s proposal, which came as Hungary continues to block crucial EU decisions such as the disbursement of 18 billion euros of financial aid to Ukraine and a global tax deal.”

So, while most of Europe are engrossed by football games in the desert, there appears to be more problems between Hungary and other member states. Orban has reaffirmed his decision to veto EU-Ukraine funds. The EU believes Hungary is inching ever so closely to fascism, stopping at ‘just corrupt’. Are you siding with the EU or Hungary on this?

I'm old enough to remember when Ukraine was considered full of Neo Nazis. Will be interesting to see which way this goes.

it was never full of neo Nazis, most Ukrainians are nice friendly people, but there is a considerable neo Nazi presence (same could be said about Russia and the US).

It is larger in Ukraine though and, the troublesome part is- there’s a lot of political participation from them (in US and Russia they get squashed mostly).

One of the reasons Hungary has been such a thorn for EU and NATO efforts to help Ukraine is because Hungary has been voicing strong disapproval towards Ukraine in regards to how they’ve been treating Hungarian ethnic minorities.

It feels like they do this shit every week, and seriously what "LGBT Rights"? What the fuck are they on about with this perpetual nonsense? This is Hungary.

hng.jpg

Also: Age of Consent, 14. Holy Christ.

Lol. They mentioned the real reason for friction last. Kinda like an afterthought. "Oh yeah, we also disagree on migration"

Hungary is inconvenient because it's full of inconvenient people who refuse to dance to someone else's tune.

It feels like they do this shit every week, and seriously what "LGBT Rights"? What the fuck are they on about with this perpetual nonsense? This is Hungary.

hng.jpg

Also: Age of Consent, 14. Holy Christ.
There's no positive pro homosexuality campaign ran in Hungary but it's nowhere near Russia. Sex isn't an issue there and grandmother's will talk about fucking without blushing. It's part of life. But yeah, 14 is yiykes to say the least.

the commission's standing is very low at the moment. they are supremely incapable bureaucrats whose only driving engine is the inertia of past documents. the world could be on fire and you'd have some EU bureaucrat calling to warn you your water consumption is too high.
the best parts of the Union - freedom of movement, internal market - are accomplished, so now it's pushing agendas. for a while it was green energy, then the war happened and everyone is opening up the coal mines. you think the EU guys care? no, they have documents, so they will call Germany, who doesn't have gas, to tell them they are going above their CO2 limit.

absolute wankers.

Fuck the EU. Keep the money you Globalist power hungry pricks.

The human element needs to evolve away from Big Government being so involved in our lives.
the union is not the problem, that's just the 27 countries.
the problem is the commission, which is a parallel, unellected group of wankers that have agendas that many times are against the will of the population of the countries.
we are supposed to bring in all the immigrant trash (we really aren't getting the best, vast majority are just here for crime, prostitution, state aid tourism) because the commission says so - try having a EU-wide vote on it, it would probably be 90% against immigration.

Well.
I agree that Germany is crazy.
They actually does hate even their local fossil fuel.
For example they hate local coal usage...peat ...

Also they does have some bit natural gas but they needed war in Ukraine to sign drilling permit!

So imagine....

While Hungary is bad country for NATO because this country is Russia's geopolitical and strategic interests lobby. De facto....
It is what it is.

Hungarians are good ppl but Orban is ....maybe soon will be even Lukashenko No2...No joke here.

it was never full of neo Nazis, most Ukrainians are nice friendly people, but there is a considerable neo Nazi presence (same could be said about Russia and the US).

It is larger in Ukraine though and, the troublesome part is- there’s a lot of political participation from them (in US and Russia they get squashed mostly).

One of the reasons Hungary has been such a thorn for EU and NATO efforts to help Ukraine is because Hungary has been voicing strong disapproval towards Ukraine in regards to how they’ve been treating Hungarian ethnic minorities.
yeah I remember it was pretty apparent during the original anti-russian uprising that far right groups were taking the role of a standard police force. They're definitely there but not on a scale worth invading a country.

the union is not the problem, that's just the 27 countries.
the problem is the commission, which is a parallel, unellected group of wankers that have agendas that many times are against the will of the population of the countries.
we are supposed to bring in all the immigrant trash (we really aren't getting the best, vast majority are just here for crime, prostitution, state aid tourism) because the commission says so - try having a EU-wide vote on it, it would probably be 90% against immigration.
But I was told they are elected officials indeed.

Well yes. The commission and it's variants of bloated bueaucrtas are elected. But regionally, so they can't claim to represent all of the EU for one, and they're political animals who serve themselves more than the vast majority of citizens. Hell, Trudeau was elected but has ~33% approval rating country wide and only got into office because we need electoral reform, so "elected" means butkis.

Well yes. The commission and it's variants of bloated bueaucrtas are elected. But regionally, so they can't claim to represent all of the EU for one, and they're political animals who serve themselves more than the vast majority of citizens. Hell, Trudeau was elected but has ~33% approval rating country wide and only got into office because we need electoral reform, so "elected" means butkis.
no they're not elected at all. the European parliament is elected. the commission is made up by people that are negotiated into position at the country level. first the council meets and all the heads of state and government and all the people around them negotiate because all countries need to get a commissioner. germany got the leadership position this time with Ursula and then the rest of the countries nominate one person to hold a position inside Ursula's commission, according to what position they got by negotiating. some jobs are hilarious, but hey, malta needs a commissioner as well.
NOBODY elects these people. hell, they could name me commissioner and i have zero connection to politics.

yeah I remember it was pretty apparent during the original anti-russian uprising that far right groups were taking the role of a standard police force. They're definitely there but not on a scale worth invading a country.
While the same russians and belarus ppl had shares in businesses, flats, apartments and offices in Kiev, pubs etc, worked in IT companies and pubs....
Largest ukr IT forum had apporox 25% posts in russian. No one gave a f*** during long years (I had read this sometimes and rus posts attracted me cos I don't know ukr language ).
Now after war started in february....almost 0 posts in russian....

Maybe for Hungary might be interesting apply to be incorporated as oblastj in Russia?

Maybe Orban might be happy with this achievement.

Cos this country for us in NATO is huge burden....
Maybe should ask sign out.
This.

Ofc I agree that about energy solutions in EU 14 + years are tensions between countries.
Just some from examples: France: NPPs good.
Germany: NPPs bad.
Etc and etc.

Maybe for Hungary might be apply to be incorporated as oblastj in Russia?

Maybe Orban might be happy with this achievement.

Cos this country for us in NATO is huge burden....
Maybe should ask sign out.
This.
Fuck Orban for his pro-Russia stance. '56 isn't that long ago ffs.

And lol at the EU risking losing a buffer country. All bluff and bluster from scared children who realize they can't control everything. Fuck em as well.

Hungary isn't going to play servant to any other power unless invaded once again, so don't think they'll kneel to Russia either. Maybe temporarily if invaded, but if Russian tanks set foot in central Europe Brussels will shit themselves.

Fuck Orban for his pro-Russia stance. '56 isn't that long ago ffs.

And lol at the EU risking losing a buffer country. All bluff and bluster from scared children who realize they can't control everything. Fuck em as well.

Hungary isn't going to play servant to any other power unless invaded once again, so don't think they'll kneel to Russia either. Maybe temporarily if invaded, but if Russian tanks set foot in central Europe Brussels will shit themselves.
U think only between France and Germany are tensions in energy field?
Germany: coal is bad.
Poland: coal is good.
Germany: NPPs and peat are bad.
Finland: NPPs and peat are good.
Germany: peat is bad.
Ireland and Baltic countries: peat is good ( btw Germany even is importing from them for agriculture ).
Chechs: NPPs aren't bad.
Coal isn't bad.
Germany: coal is bad. NPPs are bad.

Etc....

+ funny how they use Netherlands and ....talking too much against them....

U think only between France and Germany are tensions in energy field?
Germany: coal is bad.
Poland: coal is good.
Germany: NPPs and peat are bad.
Finland: NPPs and peat are good.
Germany: peat is bad.
Ireland and Baltic countries: peat is good ( btw Germany even is importing from them for agriculture ).
Chechs: NPPs aren't bad.
Coal isn't bad.
Germany: coal is bad. NPPs are bad.

Etc....

+ funny how they use Netherlands and ....talking too much against them....
I think your point is there's all sorts of tension within the EU. If so I agree. But I don't know what you mean by this:

"funny how they use Netherlands and ....talking too much against them..."

Back