Etymology of the "Ninja choke"

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
So, I think most people know what a ninja choke is (pretty much a D'arce without an arm inside). There haven't been a ton of successful applications of it in MMA, the most famous being katsumura vs ueda in shooto, but cariaso nearly finished formiga with it, and chan sung jung almost hit aldo with it recently.

In any event, I always thought it was called a ninja choke because it was just a sneaky choke, but then I realized something -- the first time I ever saw this choke was from an old clip from the "Secrets of Chute Boxe"

And who is demonstrating the choke? Well who else but Murilo "Ninja" Rua. While I am far from a grappling historian, I can say with confidence I did not see this choke being demonstrated again for years after I saw this video -- which came out in 2007.

So, question. Is this choke called a ninja choke because it's sneaky, and it's a happy coincidence that Murilo Ninja Rua put out this video, or does the name "Ninja Choke" actually derive from this video?

It's called the ninja choke because it's pretty cool and so are ninjas.

In all seriousness, cool thought TS.

Idk. I just saw a japanese guy do it. And it was a rear naked guillotine.

I dont think its the same.... what murilo is showing is basically is a guillotine with a RNC, I heard it been called a power guillotine...

I think the ninja choke has to do more with the set up of the move...

none the less, cool vid, I will try this today :D

That's a power guillotine or front naked.

A ninja choke, the bicep is across the throat doing the choking. It's more like a north south than a guillotine or darce

That's a power guillotine or front naked.

A ninja choke, the bicep is across the throat doing the choking. It's more like a north south than a guillotine or darce
strongly disagree. the defining characteristic of a d'arce/ninja choke is that the arm across the throat is brought across SUPINATED, and NOT PRONATED.

Ninja's arm is clearly supinated as he brings it across the throat.

compare that to something like kampmann/volkmann which is clearly a power guillotine.

It looks like his elbow adjusts down and its more akin to an RNC/FNC than a ninja choke. But that's all semantics, I don't think I've ever seen a ninja choke in competition.

strongly disagree. the defining characteristic of a d'arce/ninja choke is that the arm across the throat is brought across SUPINATED, and NOT PRONATED.

IMO the difference is just that opponent's head is on the opposite side of your body from where it would be if you were doing a guillotine.

I find it a difficult choke to execute cleanly myself, usually turning into a neck crank, but I know Dirty Holt on this forum likes it. (And should do a video tutorial on it.)

It looks like his elbow adjusts down and its more akin to an RNC/FNC than a ninja choke. But that's all semantics, I don't think I've ever seen a ninja choke in competition.

I finished 9 matches with it last year. Adult expert/advanced. Fuck if I call it a ninja choke. I call it the bull choke.

Back