etiquette question BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by wallsac, May 18, 2008.

1. wallsac

wallsac Orange Belt

I have a question in regards to an etiquette issue when rolling BJJ. I suffered a back injury 3 1/2 weeks ago and am going to be back at class for the first time tomorrow. When rolling is it normal or acceptable to ask an opponent to not use a certain technique? For example, I received my injury by being stacked very forcefully while getting my guard passed (insult to injury!). How will it be received to ask an opponent to not do any stacking before we roll (if he's passing my guard or caught in a triangle, etc)

I really want to get back to training. And every other range of motion is perfect (except extreme flexion- stack). So, is this normal, acceptable, etc. What do you think?

Thanks

2. SFinclined

SFinclined Purple Belt

In class it shouldn't be a problem, if someone asked me not to stack them cause they are injured I wouldn't try. If you tell someone you're injured and they do a move you told them would possibly further you're injury, then they are pricks and you shouldn't roll with them anyway. I only think it would be an issue if you tried to ask someone not to do something in a comp. or something crazy like that.

3. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

It's not only acceptable, it required. If you don't inform me about an injury or physical vulnerability and I end up hurting you, everyone loses.

4. The Colonel

The Colonel Purple Belt

Its not really any big deal. I wouldn't roll with some noobs though who would forget that you told them that during the heat of the moment though.

5. OwMyArm

OwMyArm lost in the internets

just straight up ask dude, no one wants to see anyone else get hurt (again).

6. AnOddParadigm

AnOddParadigm Blue Belt

It is perfectly acceptable. People forget that it is training.. not competition. I would stick with higher belts who are better able to avoid certain moves. On a side note, don't be the prick that tells me to go easy because he is recovering from an injury then then two seconds later going full force trying to kill me as if he was fighting for his life.

7. James.Jitsu**

James.Jitsu** Banned Banned

Yeah for real man, I have doen that before with a hurt neck. Told the guy if you get anywhere near a choke consider it a sub and lets move on

8. Zaarin

Zaarin White Belt

Tell your instructor so he can pair you up with someone who would know about your past injury. I don't anyone would be cold hearted enough to aim for your back. Wouldn't hurt to try...