ethnic recasting 2013( Spoiler Alert)

lion paw

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Warning: This contains spoilers. Don't go any further.

There's nothing wrong with ethnic recasting. Some have been good, and some terrible (the honeymooners shudder). I noticed that two of the biggest summer blockbusters were recast. The mandarin and Khan. Both characters who have some Asian ancestry.

The mandarin's case, the director didn't want to offend Asians through age old stereotypes. Understandable, which led them to cast Ben Kingsley. Kingsley nailed it, imo. But why would they do a 360 and turn Guy Pierce into the mandarin. It was a crappy plot device. That and those dragon tattoos. They should of kept BK throughout the movie.

Another case in point, Khan. Montalban wasn't of middle eastern descent but his performance was great. He had somewhat of an ethnic look. Cumberbatch, on the other hand, his acting exuded ruthlessness and he stood out throughout the whole movie. Funny thing is when I think of Khan Noonien Singh, I don't picture a Caucasian Cumberbatch.

I enjoyed both mov...well I only enjoyed ST:ID. Im not against ethnic recasting to a degree. My two cents.

Your thoughts.

Another case in point, Khan. Montalban wasn't of middle eastern descent but his performance was great. He had somewhat of an ethnic look. Cumberbatch, on the other hand, his acting exuded ruthlessness and he stood out throughout the whole movie. Funny thing is when I think of Khan Noonien Singh, I don't picture a Caucasian Cumberbatch.

Montalban was 100% Caucasian. He was born in Mexico but the son of two Spanish immigrants.

By the final draft, Khan is Indian; a character guesses that Khan is from Northern India, and "probably a Sikh".[9] Khan's full name was based on that of Kim Noonien Singh, a pilot Gene Roddenbery served with during the Second World War. Roddenbery lost touch with his friend and had hoped that Khan's similar name might attract his attention and renew his old acquaintance.[10]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khan_Noonien_Singh

Seems you're right though.

Last edited:
Ethnic recasting is funny. They should do it with non-fiction movies as well. How hilarious would it be to see a MLK movie with someone like Shia LaBeouf playing MLK.

Ethnic recasting is funny. They should do it with non-fiction movies as well. How hilarious would it be to see a MLK movie with someone like Shia LaBeouf playing MLK.

Or cast Jesus as a white guy.

The last airbender white washed all the Asian and Inuit characters.

Shia LaBeouf would be one HELL of a MLK!!!!! I could see all the award nominations now.....:icon_lol:

I fully 100% Shia lebouf as MLK just to see people rage and shit.

Ethnic recasting >>>>> ethnic cleansing

That's what I always say

Mel Gibson would be better.

My sides would form a new universe around them just so they could tear a universe apart each

Or Zach Galfanakis

What about the Thor movie? Or is this only for 2013?

Back