Ethics and bjj

http://www.useofforce.us/

Is a really good synopsis on the legal issues surrounding the use of force.

Remember, there are four ways you have to prevail in order to "win" a streetfight:
1) overcoming your fear and performing
2) defeating the attacker
3) not being criminally prosecuted and
4) winning in civil court when you are sued by your attacker for injuring him

From http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/legal.html

Best just not to fight.

Bottom line, if someone threatens me or my family, IO am breaking every bone/joint in there fuckign body without thinking twice.

If someone attacks you they are trying to hurt you. How are you supposed to asses the situation when someone is rushing you or hits you from behind. Every situation is different but in a street fight you better

A) Start running for your life.

B) Start fighting for your life. In a street fight its NO Holds barred. You can die.

I've been jumped from behind before while engaged in a street fight one on one. I was getting the best of the other guy and was rushed from behind. I fell to the ground and was kicked multiple times. I didn't know how bad I was hurt till after the fight was over and the adrenaline was gone. Internal injuries and head trama can kill you if severe enough. Thank God it wasn't lethal but I was banged up pretty good. You better hurt your opponent quickly as possible with a choke, armbar, punch, or whatever you can and get out of there. If someone attacks u first its self defense. Now a fair fight one on one no weapons or no elements of surprise is different. The fight can be regulated by rules or someone to break it up if someone is being dominated in the fight. On the street though its No holds barred. If someone wants to sue let him. Imho.

In about 80% (I'm pulling the number out of my ass, but it might seriously be even higher) of knife attack cases, the victim doesn't realize that the attacker has a knife until long after he/she has been stabbed. Even in cases where the attack itself is not a complete surprise, the knife simply isn't seen, and usually felt as merely a hard strike to the body.

This should tell you that 1) pausing to assess the severity of the attack before responding appropriately is completely unrealistic, and that 2) violent confrontations are completely unpredictable.

Good point and on my job (in law enforcement) we're told and I've seen, it's more like 95%.

Personally, if someone attacks you - you have no idea what they are willing to do. I don't see as to why you shouldn't break anything you get a hold of.

Simple solution if you don't know the person, is to leave.

Bottom line, if someone threatens me or my family, IO am breaking every bone/joint in there fuckign body without thinking twice.

Threatening is irrelevant; said shithead must have the ability, opportunity and demonstrated intent to actually hurt you and even then your response must be proportional. Otherwise you will be sharing a cell with his shithead friends.

...and thus berieve your family of their father and husband figure, or the money to provide them a good life.

Actually I always thought that ground and pound was more acceptable than chokeholds or armlocks. Which is why I would prefer to mount and throw bombs rather than pop someones elbow. Chokeholds I would do if he is a tough guy or alot bigger than me.

Isnt it just great how if someone wants to fuck with you, and you judo throw them onto their heads, it's your fault?

Yeah, there is always gonna be some p***y lawyer who says, even though his client attacked you first, his client had a right to not be beat down any more than was necessary and that his client was just trying to get away after the sucker punch.

Actually I always thought that ground and pound was more acceptable than chokeholds or armlocks. Which is why I would prefer to mount and throw bombs rather than pop someones elbow. Chokeholds I would do if he is a tough guy or alot bigger than me.

why risk breaking your knuckles and your attacker escaping your GnP when you can break a limb or choke them out and end the confrontation?

ive tossed guys before -- and i would definetly choke someone..

Chokes dont leave marks. Very important if you have to deal with a Assault charge.

Only break a limb in self defense.

Back