1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Elections Establishment Takeover: the Arrogant Senate Candidacy of Joe Kennedy

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Trotsky, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Trotsky Banned Banned

This is an extremely interesting case study in the state of American politics. Joe Kennedy III is mounting a primary challenge against progressive senator Ed Markey. For Kennedy, the reasoning for his candidacy is pretty obvious. There is no changing of the guard or legitimate policy disagreement: it's simply that he wants the seat and is unwilling to wait for an open race (which is understandable given that he's a dusty and grizzled 39 years of age). Ideally, Markey would be a more easily justifiable target for Kennedy by having more conservative positions (Markey has consistently graded out as one of the Senate's most progressive members), being weaker on Kennedy's premier issue of environmentalism (Markey was Chair of the House Energy Independence Committee and authored the Green New Deal), or lacking suitable experience (Markey was US House Rep for 37 years and has been Senator for 6 years), but Kennedy has not let that stop him from putting forth a shamelessly hollow generational platform.

In years past, it would be unremarkable for a wealthy legacy politician centrist to attempt to unseat a progressive member of his own party as a matter of personal glory. A few left-wing newspapers might report on it, but by and large it would go unnoticed and, to the extent it received attention, be written off as political vanity as usual.

But now, there is a long-overdue rebuke against dynastic politics and, at least on the left, vapid persona-based campaigns. And the advent of the internet has provided a medium to realize, point at, and organize against such things.

https://www.thenation.com/article/joe-kennedy-ed-markey-campaign/

Oh, and Kennedy is already out to a substantial lead.

2. Happy Man Banned Banned

Lol democratic voters.

3. ElKarlo Yellow Card Yellow Card

Yes, dude is running on legacy and really isn't more than an empty suit. Saw his interview on killed the middle class. Guy really doesn't have much to say. Just wants votes.

4. Rod1 Titanium Belt

Most politicians are narcissist egomaniacs who just want power for power.

Thats why concentration of power is so fucking dangerous.

5. MMAisGod Ya keep pushing or ya quit. That simple.

Doesn't this already happen, and your example is just in reverse though? As in, is it really that different than someone like AOC using her new found influence/money to try to unseat sitting moderate Democrats (for a "more progressive" Democrat) in their regions rather than use that influence/money in assisting in taking out a Republican? While Kennedy has been pushing his momentum up in recent times, I don't think I'd consider it any sort of takeover if it's just politics as usual.

6. SleepyBoy Silver Belt

Seems fairly common for the elite to think they are entitled to a political career

7. Trotsky Banned Banned

Yes, it is different, because it's on genuine policy and ideological bases.

If Kennedy was an ideological centrist in the mold of John Delaney or John Hickenlooper and was trying to unseat this guy because he felt he's too far left, that would be entirely different and, even if objectionable to my personal goals, pretty normal.

But this isn't ideological, at least earnestly or expressly so. Kennedy is actually purporting to be to Markey's left and is a campaigning under the charter of "these old guys aren't forward-thinking enough" while....holding a policy history that is much more backward-focused than Markey's. It's transparently vain and without regard to public good.

Trump.

You voted for Trump.

8. Pseudo Sane Black Belt

Par for the course for a Kennedy.

Noblesse intitule, as it were.

9. Ever see the clip where Ted was asked why he was running for President?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2020
  10. Pseudo Sane Black Belt

Actually, it was the first thing that came to mind.

11. MMAisGod Ya keep pushing or ya quit. That simple.

I see what you're saying to a certain extent, but in a way, doesn't he have to do that? A large part of his appeal is the "young and coming Dem of the (potential) future with the Kennedy name". A name that is beloved, and the holder is a man who joined the Peace Corps, went to Harvard Law, is now here to make change for everyone's betterment in the Senate hopefully, etc. He pretty much has to say "the old man isn't going to do for you what I will" to win. He can't really say, "he's obviously been more progressive than my entire career combined, but if you elect me I'll try to be like him". Markey has to be over 70 years old at this point, so it can work for Kennedy if he runs like this. Not saying it's necessarily right, but it's needed for him.

From your perspective, Kennedy to be completely transparent and come in guns blazing as a centrist/borderline moderate in the Delaney mold, would be probably be an instant loss. The current climate is hostile to moderates, as they are seen to "not do enough". They have the combo of Markey/Warren currently (with Warren literally a presidential hopeful at the moment). Not many states if any can get a combo more progressive than that, so they may not be as receptive to a platform that is advertised as moderate. It's what they are used to. So Kennedy, if the plan is to win, he has to come in stating vote for him because he is younger and more in tune with the current needs of the people, more willing to implement the progressive platform because of this, etc. Once he gets the seat is another case altogether, but he may be in a position to use his future growth in a powerful way for Dems for years to come. I wouldn't consider him an establishment for-the-power guy.

12. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

That isn't generally true (lots of new moderates elected in 2018, for example). And looking at the state, Massachusetts has a moderate Republican governor who is extremely popular.

13. MMAisGod Ya keep pushing or ya quit. That simple.

True true. I'm probably thinking about it in the sense of loudest mouths are the first heard. Even here in FL for example we have DeSantis who is a moderate Republican who is pretty much knocking it out of the park. Has very high approval ratings from Democrats too. Definitely more of a policy/person thing.

With that being said though, I still can't buy Kennedy swooping in on a campaign advertising himself as the less progressive candidate. What he's doing now makes perfect sense to me. Mostly because Markey is already sitting and has done, what appears to be a solid job on decades of experience. It could be easily misconstrued that Kennedy's going to not do as much in the way of progress if he doesn't speak about Markey's progressive topics more adamantly, or doesn't point out Markey's age "out of respect". In the end he's trying to win the seat first and foremost, and then follow that up with his ideas. As long as he isn't doing something dirty like lying or smearing I don't see much wrong with his current campaigning.

14. Trotsky Banned Banned

This Ron DeSantis?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good lord, is the Republican Party so irretrievably fucking stupid that this is one of their moderates?

15. Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

16. Trotsky Banned Banned

Wow, I'd never seen that.

"Why do you want to be president?"

"....

...because our country is the best, but also other countries are better."

17. Fox by the Sea Lighthouse Keeper Platinum Member

lmao @ electing a fucking kennedy in 2020
    fuck all these dynasties. bush, clinton, whoever, trump if ivanka tries some shit.
    piss off all of you

18. Pseudo Sane Black Belt

That interview, by itself, probably cost him the primary challenge against Carter in 1979.

19. MMAisGod Ya keep pushing or ya quit. That simple.

Yea his ads were terribly terrible lol, I actually hated him at first. But once he sat in the chair, he's been exceeding expectations. He did what he had to in order to get the votes, then started making some good changes and updates. Even in an era of hyper partisan wars, DeSantis has an over 40% approval rating from Democrats exclusively. Infinitely better than the abomination known as Rick Scott.

Pretty much where I'm going at with Kennedy is what you just said. You're more focused on his platform being less progressive and that he's not acknowledging that, but I don't think you've stopped to consider if or how good a senator he can be if he wins. Or the potential impact he can provide for the party/future. He doesn't seem corrupt in any way (to my knowledge at least), can bring a strong brand as new and hopeful Dem Senator, working alongside Warren, seems legit in his desire to make things better. There's a lot of win there if you don't hold a grudge about him not being the super nice guy during a campaign run. You see it with Dems in the primaries know who will shake hands after it's all over. Most people aren't going to campaign without going all out to win.

20. Pseudo Sane Black Belt

It's actually a little funny when you think about it. The Kennedy's have held high office in America for 5 generations now.

Just the way the Founders intended.