Establishing a closed guard

B3ntleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok this is a weird problem as it one that shouldn't matter in a normal BJJ match. When I roll we usually start on our knees(which I know doesn't happen in an actual match).

The problem is I have an awful open guard which is easy to pass, however my closed guard game is okay and able to work submissions, once I have actually established the closed guard. But when starting on knees I am rarely able to get to closed guard any advice on establishing it.

Once again I know you don't start on your knees in a match but when I roll I do and so have the problem.

It sounds like you are getting bum rushed and uke grabs your leg to prevent you closing guard.

just sit on your ass at the beginning i.e shake hand, then grab one sleeve and one collar/lapel or too sleeves and put feet on his hips or biceps first then close the guard.

It sounds like you are getting bum rushed and uke grabs your leg to prevent you closing guard.

just sit on your ass at the beginning i.e shake hand, then grab one sleeve and one collar/lapel or too sleeves and put feet on his hips or biceps first then close the guard.

Thanks that is exactly what is happening I will have to try this.

As lechien described, that's exactly how I do it. I'll have one knee bent up, sitting on my ass and when I get the grips established I'll start working for closed. Works so far!

I like to get on one knee, grip the collar and sleeve on the same side, sit down and immediately go for a scissor sweep. If I don't get the scissor sweep, I just close my guard.

You can just ask your partner to start in your closed guard. It's just training, shouldn't be a problem.

Get double sleeve control and try to pull the opponent into you, thrusting your hips up. If they put a knee up, get a de la riva hook in and stretch him out with your other leg. Then pull him into you and lift your hips up into closed guard.

Trumpetdan's youtube video helped me out a lot with establishing closed guard: YouTube - Guard - L10 - Open Guard - Regaining Closed Guard

It is not difficult.

1. Grab your opponents collar (right hand)
2. Grab your opponents sleeve (left hand)
3. Put your foot (left foot) on your opponents hip while pulling his sleeve. *The sleeve pull keeps him from grabbing your leg and bum rushing you*
4. Stretch out your leg (left leg) as far as you can and start circling your free leg (right leg) when he uses his free hand to try and grab it.
5. With your free leg (right leg) push his shoulder or bicep to make him off balanced. His body should be turned at a wierd angle.
6. When you feel he is stretched out relax the leg on his hip and suck him into you.

*voila* Closed guard. Should take less than 2 seconds. Of course you can always keep the collar/sleeve open guard and sweep him from there.

Just remember you need a sleeve. Once you have a sleeve that side is weak so thats the leg you are going to enter your leg into first.

Thanks for the props. I actually think that lesson is one of my least favorite. I could have done it so much better =( Im glad it helped though. I will redo it at brown belt with 2 more ways...one from knee slice and the way that calibur mentioned. I should have made the connection with the omaplata and retaining closed guard. Both are when you can disconnect his elbow from the knee.

I really like caliburs method...though i dont think its as easy as he made it out to be some of the time =) It can be tricksy to get the closed guard back against talented passers. Just fight that much harder not to let him out of the closed guard next time.

If you want a visual of what he is saying, view my guest lesson with Beniel Dariush and instead of going for the omaplata/triangle, shoot back to the closed guard. In general, with many open guard omaplata setups, you can get the closed guard as an alternate option.

Pay attention to how benny disconnects his partners elbow from knee and use that tip too. Skip to 2:45 for the elbow separation tip from combat base.

It is not difficult.

3. Put your foot (left foot) on your opponents hip while pulling his sleeve. *The sleeve pull keeps him from grabbing your leg and bum rushing you*
4. Stretch out your leg (left leg) as far as you can and start circling your free leg (right leg) when he uses his free hand to try and grab it.
5. With your free leg (right leg) push his shoulder or bicep to make him off balanced. His body should be turned at a wierd angle.
6. When you feel he is stretched out relax the leg on his hip and suck him into you.

*voila* Closed guard. Should take less than 2 seconds. Of course you can always keep the collar/sleeve open guard and sweep him from there.

Just remember you need a sleeve. Once you have a sleeve that side is weak so thats the leg you are going to enter your leg into first.

For the grips do you mean opponents right sleeve and left side of collar or same side for both like Dariush?

For the grips do you mean opponents right sleeve and left side of collar or same side for both like Dariush?

Opposite side. Dariush's grip works when a hook is blocking, or when angling for an omoplata. Opposite side is good for more balanced control and for entering closed guard. Once you do, you can switch to same side to start angling for collar chokes.

Dariush move is advanced.

just follow the Calibur explanation:

same side you control the hand, same side you put your feet on the hip.

Back